Fibromyalgia Support Group

You're not alone in your pain. Fibromyalgia is a condition that can be difficult to diagnose and manage. If you're trying to cope with pain throughout your body, sleep problems, general fatigue, or other common fibromyalgia symptoms, you're in the right place. The community is here for you to talk about therapies and share your challenges.

2 Online
2 Online

Lyrica and High Blood Pressure and/or BP meds

Does anyone have high blood pressure and/or taking blood pressure medication and is on Lyrica? If so, can you tell me what your doctor said about what might happen with the interaction of the blood pressure medicine and Lyrica or if you aren't taking blood pressure meds and you do have high blood pressure and are on Lyrica, how has this affected you and what did your doctor say about that? Can you also tell me how long you have been taking the Lyrica and/or BP meds and what kind of BP meds you are on? Thanks, Susie

Replies

mynameisD
mynameisD

Hey Sue, Please put this down on the main board. Most of us do not come up here that often.
ozfm
ozfm

I'd really like to know other ppls responses to this question. I've only been on Lyrica for 2 weeks, but last week my bp was up again, I'm on 2 diff meds for bp. Mine is mainly due to effexor, but I didn't know Lyrica had an effect on bp. I'll be checking with my psychiatrist when I go see him for a med check.
Are you having BP probs?
deleted_user
deleted_user

I am not on any Bp meds, but yu do raise a good question because I was thinking that the way it causes fluid retention/weight gain it could be a real problem for people who have cardiac problems. Many report that it has caused hand, feet and abdominal swelling. I am going to have my blood pressure checked the next couple of days. I am on a small dose however. Will be interested to find out more.
ozfm
ozfm

After replying I went a hunting... and found this site.

http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=21723&name=LYRICA

If my BP is still up on Wed when I get it checked again, I'm going off Lyrica. I've found the first few days I felt great, now after a couple of weeks, I'm feeling progressively worse.
deleted_user
deleted_user

OZFM: Thank you for that website. It has a lot of stuff on there I wasn't even aware of. I do have high blood pressure and am on meds for it. I had heard that it can cause blood pressure to go up, but I wasn't aware of all these other reported side effects. i am not on Lyrica, but was considering it. Now, i don't think it such a good idea.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have only been on lryica a week now. Although I no longer take meds for high blood pressure mu doc said i still need to be cautiuios. I haven't taken my blood pressure since I started lyrica. Maybe I should, I know here in fl i heard the other day they are doing a study to seee how an investigational med effects your blood pressure with lyrica.
thanks for bringing it to my attention
deleted_user
deleted_user

Alesha: Thanks for your input. I have been hearing alot of people saying that they have had weight gain and water retention, both of which can effect your BP. I think it would be good to check your BP and see what it is. Also, OZFM posted a website that reports on side effects which you can see under her post on here. Susie
ozfm
ozfm

Interesting isn't it? I was aware a lot of people were against Lyrica, but didn't know why. I also believe that everyone is different, and you need to try things out for yourself, under doctors guidance of course. But just seeing all those comments clicked with me. I felt great the first few days then, as I said, down hill from there. Here is another comment site I found which is also very interesting.

http://www.patientsville.com/medication/lyrica1_side_effects.htm
deleted_user
deleted_user

Thanks again, OZ, for your help. I didn't know there were all those search engines and information available. It pays to do research. Susie
deleted_user
deleted_user

For everyone looking for a solution to Fibromyalgia pain:

GUAI PROTOCOL.

brass tacks: you can pick it up over the counter as "mucinex" or cough expectorant/mucus relief generically.

Active ingredient is: "guaifenesin"

What it does:

Something about flushing the phosphates out of the cells in your body (I take about 2000mg a day, and have little to no pain now).

Apparently a doctor in California did some studies/trials on this as an FMS treatment, but the research was rejected by the medical community for some stupid reason.. so it never caught on.

I was in so much pain about 4 months ago, that I scoured the internet, until I found a youtube video of a woman in England whom swears by this; she said that in 4 days, her pain was almost complete gone. So I went to walgreens the next day, and started a regimen. And within 2 days, I started to notice a difference...

Anyway... the drug is over the counter (no prescription needed), and is called "guaifenesin".

Trust me, it works. I think anywhere from 800mg-2400mg a day is fine, depending on what works for you. I was on Lyrica, and found out it didn't work for me even at $300 a bottle.

I don't have a financial interest in any of these products, I'm just an FMS patient whom was desperate and wants to share what worked for him. So I'm basically posting this all over this board to see if it catches on.. Google it yourself!

Cheers,
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi-

I have been on lyrica for 2 days now and also take three bp meds, norvasc, hydrochlorithiazide and lisinopril. Into the 2nd day on lyrica my bp is elevated despite the bp meds. Do I stop lyrica?

Ken
CarrieinSK
CarrieinSK

This is off a Lyrica newsletter:

LYRICA is not for everyone. LYRICA may cause serious allergic reactions. Tell your doctor right away about any serious allergic reaction such as swelling of the face, mouth, lips, gums, tongue or neck or if you have any trouble breathing. Other allergic reactions may include rash, hives and blisters. Tell your doctor about any changes in your eyesight, including blurry vision, muscle pain along with a fever or tired feeling. If you have diabetes tell your doctor about any skin sores.

Some of the most common side effects of LYRICA are dizziness, sleepiness, weight gain, blurred vision, dry mouth, feeling "high", swelling of hands and feet, and trouble concentrating. You may have a higher chance for swelling and hives if you are also taking angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors so you should let your doctor know if you are taking these medications. You may have a higher chance of swelling or gaining weight if you are also taking certain diabetes medicines.

You should not drive or operate machinery until you know how LYRICA affects you. Do not drink alcohol while on LYRICA. If you take medicines that make you sleepy you may feel more sleepy when you start LYRICA. Also tell your doctor if you are planning to father a child. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you have had a drug or alcohol problem, you may be more likely to misuse LYRICA. In mice, an increase in a specific type of blood vessel tumor was observed but no evidence of the same effect was seen in studies with rats. The clinical significance of this finding is unknown. During clinical studies in humans, none of the same tumor types were observed, although some new or worsening-preexisting tumors were reported (57 patients out of 6396 patient-years). It is not possible to know whether this is or is not related to LYRICA treatment.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I've been taking Lyrica for about 10 months. I have high blood pressure and was taking 10 mg. Norvasc for that.

I experienced the Lyrica side effects of dizziness, swollen legs and weight gain. The dizziness went away after time, as did the swollen legs, but they really were swollen - scary swollen.

I found that when I went to the gym (which I was able to commit to after being on Lyrica for two weeks) my legs didn't swell as much. Since being on it for 6 months, they don't swell much at all. I did have some swelling before the Lyrica.

The weight gain might have been avoided if I'd known about it beforehand. Chalk that up to a crummy doctor, but if I have to be fat to feel almost normal, I'm ok with that. Seriously - I feel like I have a future for the first time in 17 years.

Last month my blood pressure started being high all the time so my NEW doctor prescribed Diovan on top of the Norvasc. It seems to be working, but maybe too good. We'll see. Perhaps I can do with half as much.

Lyrica isn't for everyone, but they'll improve on it and perhaps the next round of drugs won't have these side effects - no, we'll get new ones! Oh yay.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have been on Lyrica 3 weeks, and just last week went to unrelated doc, my BP was way up, double-digits higher, but I called my ortho who prescribed the Lyrica, and they said it was NOT a side effect. I have checked on Savella for fibromyalgia and it is an antidepressant and DOES have side effect of high BP, so I want to stick with the Lyrica, but going to doc next week to see what's up; I have never had BP problems, so I'm a little freaked out; Lyrica is the first medicine that has worked for me, and I cannot even afford it, but it made such a world of difference, trying to figure out how to afford it, now the BP problem . . . will let you know what doc says--and to the replies, yes, everyone is different, so you can try it out for yourself to know for sure, but it's up there close to a miracle drug for me--when I get up in the morning, I actually feel like I can just get out of bed; I am only 36 so it was almost depressing to physically feel too heavy/sore to get myself out of bed in the morning, but I have a baby and college, so I MADE myself get up, but with Lyrica, I feel absolutely wonderful throughout the day, better in morning, still don't sleep great.

Geesh, enough for now :)