Fibromyalgia Support Group

You're not alone in your pain. Fibromyalgia is a condition that can be difficult to diagnose and manage. If you're trying to cope with pain throughout your body, sleep problems, general fatigue, or other common fibromyalgia symptoms, you're in the right place. The community is here for you to talk about therapies and share your challenges.

0 Online
0 Online

Fibro Questions & Anxiety

I am new to the group......I have both severe fibro and severe anxiety. I have become pretty much totally disabled and I was a competitive athlete and my husband and I did 100 mile bike races and marathons. Before this all started in 2007 I lived in the gym or in outdoor activities. Now I hardly leave the house.

I am new here so a couple of questions: do others with fibro also have severe anxiety

Does fibro cause stiff muscles - when I stand up I can hardly move, I am all bent over like a 90 year old woman and so stiff.

Do you ever feel really sick with fibro - like the worst case of flu. Some days I am so sick I can hardly walk room to room

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi! I got thrown into fibro after a bad hysterectomy! And yes you muscles tighten up. and you get stabbing pains and spazms for absolutel no reason. And I for one have thesevere anxiety, because I've been on SSDI since 2004. Put on it by the doctors that did the 2 repairs from the hysterectomy. NOT MY OWN CHOICE!! Hang in ther and do some reading. There is alot of help on this site.
mynameisD
mynameisD

Welcome to the group Oregon,

While some people have anxiety with fibro, it is not common to everyone with fibro. I can not remember the specific term, but basically anxiety can be a companion to fibro, but not a definite cause or result of fibro

Yes many feel as though they have a severe flu. This can come and go from time to time

Fibro can cause stiff muscles like you said, so I would suggest stretching and keep moving. The more you move the more you will be able to move

Good luck
Fantod
Fantod

Yes, I have problems with anxiety which sometimes goes into a full blown panic attack. Anxiety and Fibromyalgia is not uncommon.

Yes, Fibromyalgia (FMS) causes stiff muscles. I find that I am worse in the morning when I first get up or in the evening. God forbid I should take a nap because I'll be stiff after that too. The important thing is to keep moving.

The flu-like feeling that you describe is also a common complaint. I have days like you describe too.

I'd like to suggest that you consider purchasing a book called "Fibromyalgia for Dummies." Like all of the dummies series, it contains easy to understand information. It will give you a comphrensive overview of this nasty syndrome and how to manage it. You can purchase the book online at Amazon. Knowledge is power.

I hope that my comments are helpful to you so you don't feel so alone. Welcome to the group!
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi,

Oh yes the flu like symptoms can be terrible. I get it like the worst body aches/flu ever. Which makes me want to lay down with my heating pads, which makes me super stiff when I move. For awhile I had to use a cane, that was awful, it really deepened my depression. It did get better though. I just move as much as I can.

Yes I have anxiety too, I hardly go out either and it's getting harder and harder to leave the house. I'm working on it though.

Hang in there
Pollybizz
Pollybizz

Hi and welcome,

Like the others, Anxiety is a tag a long to fibro for me and stiffness is just a part of my life. I don't get much of the flu like feeling, but welcome and read on!!! You'll find great people and a wealth of info here.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I totally have anxiety with fibro. I have hashimotos (thyroid disease and it can cause anxiety, too)...Maybe I have double the anxiety?! I had to start taking meds for this.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Welcome to the group Oregon!
I hope you find friends,information and support here!I do have anxiety and take valium for it and for severe muscle spasms.It's crazy because I use to work with the public in a very social way and it is so strange to deal with this.As D said,it can be a symptom but not for everyone.Remember Tim Conway of the Carrol Burnrtte Show?When he played the old guy shuffeling across the room calling his secretary Mrs.Wiggins??Well I look like him in the mornings,LOL!I also get the waves of hot and cold,like a fever.Sometime it helps to just lay down for an hour.So sorry you have to deal with Fibro but you've come to a good place!(((HUGS))) Tori
redsilverfox
redsilverfox

Welcome, and if you do gentle stretches of all body parts it helps some physio say do it in the shower as it helps loosen you up. If you have a warm pool near you do gentle aerobic stretches for arthritis in a group it helps too! Get a good Doc who can prescribe the right meds or ask for a Pain Clinic referral. xxxoo's Get informed and read some books on it plus there are fm info sites on the internet too.
Squarley
Squarley

WELCOME, I HAVE ALL OF THE ABOVE AND BAD ANXIETY AND LIVE ON XANX, SO WE ARE ALL HERE FOR YOU ASK ANY THING YOU LIKE AND ONE OF US WILL HAVE ANSWERS,HUGS, SQUARLEY
battle200
battle200

Xanax can be addicting and dangerous, how can you live on it?

x
PegZo
PegZo

Welcome OregonLady, You have come to the right place. There are many good people on here who understand exactly what you are talking about. I suffer from extreme anxiety for about 35 years now. I have taken Xanax and I have taken a anti depressant for it and it does help a lot. The anti depressant takes care of the anxiety and now helps my mood with the fibro. I have had fibro for years but did not get diagnosed until Oct 2010. Since that time I have tried so many different drugs to control the pain and other symptoms but the problem with that is they all have side effects that I don't like. So, I suffer with the fatigue and the pain. Keep moving! Once you stop you will stiffen up. The mornings are bad until you get moving. If you don't like leaving your house then try to have some plants on the back deck or in the yard that you will care for daily and enjoy.
Try to stay positive. This is a horrible illness that does not get better. We have to live with it the best we can and some days are much better then others.
Good luck!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have anxiety but was thinking it was due to starting menopause. I have had anxiety before but not to the point that it is now.
RosePark
RosePark

Welcome OregonLady - I'm in Oregon, also. I tell you the rain and dampness makes the Fibro symptoms way worse.

I feel like I have the flu a lot of the times. Sorry to hear you have this fibro monster!
RosePark
RosePark

I also have anxiety, but not sure if it is fibro related - started when I went into menopause.
horseluvnhoosier
horseluvnhoosier

I have severe anxiety attacks and have had them for years. I also have the severe stiffness and pain in the mornings when I get up (or anytime I sit for a while). I do the "Tim Conway Shuffle" all the time and it is so annoying to feel so old when I'm not.

I also have CFS and that causes me to feel like I have a sore throat and swollen glands almost daily. I guess you could say I feel like I have the flu but I think it is more accurate to say that I feel like I have been hit by a truck. :-)