Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Support Group

Ehlers-Danlos syndrome is a group of rare genetic disorders caused by a defect in collagen synthesis. Depending on the individual mutation, the severity of the disease can vary from mild to life-threatening. Common symptoms are unstable, flexible joints with a tendency to dislocate and subluxate, and elastic, fragile, soft skin that easily forms welts and scars.

0 Online
0 Online

Piercings

Hi, I was diagnosed with Classic EDS when I was born. I'm wondering if anyone with EDS has ever gotten a facial piercing. I'm interested in getting my nostril pierced, but am worried about scarring when I decide I'm done with it and if the hole will stretch and look gross. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Replies

GenuineMystery
GenuineMystery

I've heard that kind of worry expressed before. According to answers given by others (no piercings or tattoos for me), bad scarring is unlikely. Infection is more of a concern, probably, and don't wear a heavy nose ring.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Bad scarring and poor healing very likely! Guaranteed. Going through cartilage is really begging for trouble.

Get the hinged clips or ear cuffs or get something custom made.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I had a few facial piercings, and I have EDS III. When my piercings are removed, you can tell there was a hole there. They don't look "gross" to me, but there are noticeable if you are very close to me. I know the skin issues with Classic type are a little different, but I hope this helps a little.

No scars for me, but VERY slow healing.