Eating Disorders Support Group

Eating disorders are marked by an obsessive need to control the intake and/or purging of food. This community is dedicated to those struggling on the road to recovery. Join to discuss your experience with others and find support. Get advice, ask questions, and meet others who are going through similar struggles.

2 Online

Number on the scale...

Could anyone give me advice to not worry myself over what the scale says.. And how to stop obsessing over my weight along with how to stop feeling depressed if I gain.. And ruin my whole day based off weight... 

Replies

LuckyEmpath
LuckyEmpath

It took me a while to break the cycle of weighing myself constantly. I weaned myself off of it very slowly. If I weighed myself 5 times a day I reduced that to 4. Once I didn't crave that 5th time I backed it down to 3. Eventually it was once a day and that is when I worked on skipping days.

I won't lie to you - it was excruciatingly difficult and there were times I sat in my bathroom staring at the scale crying. But I knew it was best for me to not step on the scale so, for the most part, I didn't give in to my urges to weigh myself.

As for not feeling depressed if you gain - that, for me, took a lot of positive self talk. Any time I felt depressed I forced myself to say "I can do this. I am a wonderful person no matter what I weigh". Positive self talk is one of those things that doesn't have immediate results, but if you keep with it you will benefit greatly in the long run. ((Hugs))
Laya
Laya

Hi, I'm sorry you are having a hard time with this. When you have a scale in your house and you think that you always have to weigh yourself because you always need to know what your weight is and it's hard because no matter what it says you don't want to believe it. And it makes you feel so upset and hurt and you want to cry.

For me we have a scale in our bathroom and I asked my parents put it in my parents bathroom so I will use the main bathroom or mine and my sister's bathroom that we share and we don't have one in them. So when I do want to weigh myself I go into my parents bathroom when they are not home.

You said that you have one in your bathroom, when you are in the bathroom getting read taking a shower just do your best not to pay attention to the scale. And if you do look at it because you're going to, just say to yourself no I don't need to get on it today. Say to yourself I'm fine. I'm beautiful. And do yourself the best to walk away from it, I hope you will be ok and Lots of Hugs to help you.
red47640
red47640

I just don't do it.
Lacey19
Lacey19

I wish it was that easy to not, I still feel stuck with seeing the weight and can't seem to get rid of my scale either.. But I find I'm not weighing myself over 10+ times a day anymore. But I do appreciate the positive vibes sent my way! Thank you loves
LuckyEmpath
LuckyEmpath

I also could not throw away the scale or hide it. Different things work for different people. We all have a past that dictates how we do things today and for me, taking the scale away was like depriving me of what I needed in order to live. I know that may sound dramatic but I felt deprived and angry when ANYTHING was removed from my life. I can trace this back to many things in my past. That's why I had to go slow and use a lot of self talk to get me through this process. Lacey, if you have already reduced the number of times you weigh yourself then please stop for a moment and enjoy that victory. Great job!

Another thing I had trouble with was when people would say "It's just a number". Ugh. I really hated that statement. To me it was not a number. To me, that number was so much more. That number was my lifeline to happiness - the only happiness I knew at the time. I know it sounds strange but I have a feeling many here can probably understand where I am coming from. I guess what I am saying is there is a thought process for each of us that is behind why we must weight ourselves constantly. Understand that thought process, then heal it and THEN that number on the scale truly is "just a number on a scale". You will get there Lacey. Don't give up.
red47640
red47640

I completely understand Lucky, and I really hope no one was taking my comment as something they themselves should do (or NOT do, as the case may be). I was just saying that for me personally, it's a really bad idea to keep the scale around, as it really hinders my progress and makes me relapse into taking pills. I'm not kidding when I say the last time they told me my weight at a doctor's office, I literally freaked out to the point where they called the cops. No joke. So no. Scale. For. Me. If others can handle it in a healthy way and not let it define them, who am I to say it is wrong?
LuckyEmpath
LuckyEmpath

Red I didn't take your comment in any bad way. We are all different and, gosh, I wish I could have thrown the scale away. Seems like it would be easier but that wasn't healing for me. Oh well. Please always do what is best for you ((hugs))
Lacey19
Lacey19

Thanks for all the positive love it helps ❤
question
question

I weigh myself every day lately and have yet to conquer this, even though i sometimes feel a bit guilty about doing it. I dont obsess over the number quite as much anymore but it does usually impact me in that I try not to eat. I gained a fraction of a pound and was irritated by it but it wasnt like it was a few months ago, where I gained very little (like a pound or two) and cried over it. But I do wish you the best in your journey!
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • wingardiumlevixsa

Advice on Fighting It

Hi guys. A while ago, I was in a relationship with someone who repeatedly manipulated me into doing things, and did things to me despite me saying 'stop' and 'no'. The last time was nearly two years ago, but I still have panic attacks whenever something reminds me of him (smelling Lynx Africa, or seeing someone who looks similar to him). I also still struggle with severe trust issues and have...
  • naturegirl5991

Repressed memories??

I've been going to therapy for a while to work out the trauma from sexual abuse as a child and it feels like a floodgate of memories have opened to me. I blocked out a lot of my childhood, so not all of it is from CSA. But there are some violent memories that come to me in flashbacks like clips from a bad movie. The first one I had was being orally raped. It came at first as a memory of where my...