Dyspraxia & Apraxia Support Group

Dyspraxia is difficulty getting the body to do what we want when we want to do it. Apraxia is a neurological disorder characterized by being unable to execute or carry out learned (familiar) movements, even if the desire and physical ability is there. This group is dedicated to those coping with either aprxia or dyspraxia. Join the group to find support and get advice.

0 Online

High Functioning Dyspraxics

I have two degrees, was an accountant and then a Lawyer for sixteen years, carrying out multi million pound deals. Dyspraxia, Aspergers and BP ( i am those too) often are high functioning and successful. Tell me that this is true.

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

I agree. I have dyspraxia and have never been to a special school, I have always fought to survive with the 'normal' non dyspraxic people. I think however we do have various stumbling points. Those I have talked too agree that these are often seemingly simple everyday tasks such as paying bills or filling in forms.
ihavenoname
ihavenoname

ive never been to a special school but was always in special classes because they thought i couldnt handle mainstream classes but i showed them :D im as articulate as they come hahahaha yay for us
deleted_user
deleted_user

I am the same, I am currently studying for a degree in Paramedical science...something that I was told I should stop dreaming about many years ago because being dyspraxic and autistic and everything else it was never going to happen! Well here I am with support but I am doing it. I have had full time 1-1 support for years, never went to an SEN school, ok I am far from "normal" but with the right help and support I function in a mainstream world!
outsideboxmom
outsideboxmom

My 12-year-old son was diagnosed with dyspraxia and dysgraphia, low muscle tone, migraines and he has to wear a scoliosis brace.

He has a high verbal IQ and is very articulate. He recently got a lead role in his children's musical theater group's production of Seussical the Musical. He is doing very well. He used to have timing issues and fatigue issues that made dancing difficult, but his timing got better and the new director lets him sit and watch the dance practices when he has to rest. If he doesn't take breaks his feet hurt because the arches in his feet collapse and his legs hurt at night.

He does so well that some people are surprised that he has a disability of any kind. He is able to do improv imitations of people and is able to do lots of different accents. He is able to copy their mannerisms. Kids like him because he is really funny.

My son is homeschooled but has taught himself much more than I taught him. He taught himself to type so handwriting is not a problem. He takes piano lessons and would like to learn guitar.

People tell me that he has such a good attitude. I think he has a chance of being more successful than his adult siblings who do not have a disability.