Dialysis Support Group

Dialysis is a type of renal replacement therapy which is used to provide an artificial replacement for lost kidney function due to renal failure. It is a life support treatment and does not treat any kidney diseases. Dialysis may be used for very sick patients who have suddenly lost their kidney function or for quite stable patients who have permanently lost their kidney function.

0 Online
0 Online

Leg cramps

I get these awful leg cramps being on hemodialysis. My nephologist won't let me take Quinine since it's a mantory drug than can cause death. I even wake up at night at times with these awful foot leg cramps. I been trying out some vitimine E but I don't know if that working either. I can't take mortrin or Asprin since it's consitered a blood thinner. I haven't had much sucess with vocodin either. Does anybody else have this problem and has there been anything that
has help treating it?

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

I don't know if this helps but my dad also gets these cramps in his leg with his dialysis and they figured that he was getting dilysis to fast and extended him for another 15 minutes and that seemed to help him tremendously. Alos there is a new medicine called equip wich may not be an option for you but it may be worth a try. take care and wish you the best.
deleted_user
deleted_user

the medicine is called requip sorry about the typing errors very tired here. LOL
deleted_user
deleted_user

I know this was posted a long time ago, but if anyone reads it now, maybe it will help.
My husband gets the leg cramps extremely bad and the cause is from the dialysis taking the excess fluid off too quickly. We found that the cramps are worse on the days that he indulged too much on drinks. What has helped to reduce the cramping is for him to chew on ice chips rather than drink too much fluid. When he goes to dialysis with less fluid, they don't have to take off too much too quickly.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Maybe some of what your saying is true. But, how can you handle 32oz when your taking 35-40 pills a day? I feel like I constanly have a dry mouth all the time. I feel like I can use all my fluid just taken most of those pills. I have tried ice chips, differnt kinds of candy, and popsicles all that still doesn't satisfy my thirst. I stay away from alot of those high in soduim fast food places too.
deleted_user
deleted_user

how about trying a sour candy. The ones that make your mouth water. My dad uses tic tacs a lot just a suggestion.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I HAVE BEEN ON HEMO DIALYSIS FOR 14 YEARS, AND I HAVE FOUND THAT QUININE IS NO HELP AT ALL. AND THE "CRAMP SHOT" THEY GIVE YOU AT DIALYSIS IS A JOKE. WHEN I GET REAL BAD CRAMPS AT DIALYSIS,OR AT HOME I TAKE 2 TYLENOLPM'S. THE MEDICINE THEY ADD TO HELP YOU SLEEP,HELPS RELAX THE MUSCLES.
JJFlash083
JJFlash083

I know this is a very old discussion, but have you ever tried drinking a little pickle juice for leg cramps. I know it sounds crazy, but it works for me. I don't know why it works, I have asked a doctor and at 2 health food stores.
deleted_user
deleted_user

if he can switch to a chair and keep feet on ground. I can stop cramps this way.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I take Mirapex its for Restless Leg Syndrome and my Nephologist is fine with me taking that...Restless Leg Syndrome is bad leg cramps at night...They work for me maybe it can help your leg cramps might b worth finding out..I am sorry you have that happen i havent had that happen from Dialysis but I get lightheaded. Good Luck..
deleted_user
deleted_user

I know this post is old, but I just joined and thought I'd add that pickle juice really does work. I have been on hemodialysis for 7 years and this remedy is miraculous! It also works very fast.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I've been buying the sour warhead candy spray, and try to remind myself to reach for that instead of a drink. I've also tried water in smaller spray bottles, with lemon juice makes you pucker, and keeps me from filling up. Hope it helps.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Ask your Dr about restless leg syndrome they have me on Mirapex and I haven't had any more leg cramps it really has helped I used to be on Quinine this is just as good! Hope this will help you.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Try Quellitall for your cramping. www.Quellitall.com
deleted_user
deleted_user

it says this is an old posting i have just goind hopping to get help , but as for leg cramps i drink tonic water with the yellow lable but it has quinine in it ask your dr if its enough to hurt you my dr recomemded it to me many yrs ago i find if i take a half glass of it at bed time it wards the cramps off
deleted_user
deleted_user

i know that with dialysis, they put you on a diet with very low potassium but you could try talking to the dietician/doctor about that, because leg cramps are a sign of your potassium being too low. i get them in my legs, feet, toes.. and sometimes my stomach and i've had to have potassium given to me through an i.v. which helps sometimes. i've only been on dialyis about 3 weeks now so i don't know if i'll be allowed the potassium (the leg cramps have been coming back) but it's an idea, for both of us. if any of you are stil having troubles with these cramps, i hope this advice helps.