Dialysis Support Group

Dialysis is a type of renal replacement therapy which is used to provide an artificial replacement for lost kidney function due to renal failure. It is a life support treatment and does not treat any kidney diseases. Dialysis may be used for very sick patients who have suddenly lost their kidney function or for quite stable patients who have permanently lost their kidney function.

0 Online

How much does dialysis cost?

Hello,

can someone tell me how much does one dialysis procedure cost?

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

I got a bill,but t was covered by my insurance. At home treatments are about $658. at the treatment cenetr they are about 1200.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I understand Medicare covers 80%. I'm not familiar with the new drug program but some should be covered.

It ain't cheap.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Thank you all for your responses !
deleted_user
deleted_user

last bill i recievied medicare paid 149.00 per treatment [4hrs] ill check next bill and let you know more ok
deleted_user
deleted_user

I'm not sure how much one procedure cost. I guess it depends apon what health plan you have. I have Kaiser insurance under my mom health plan being a disablied adult. I also have medi-cal under the state. When my Davita Dialysis bills come in the mail Kaiser pays for it and it's $55,000 dollars a month. I'm on the machine four times a week. On my regular days I'm on the machine for three and half hours. On my extra treatment day I on the machine for two hours.
I'm glad I don't have to pay for it. Who has that kind of money?
deleted_user
deleted_user

I'm a UK dialysis patient i obtain my treatment under the National Health Service so it's free along with drug prescriptions, i guess all my tax contributions through my working life (long retired)are effectively covering me now that i need dialysis, i understand in the usa you must have a health insurance plan?, but what happens if you cannot afford the premiums?.. can you obtain help on this or is there a two-tier system and the quality varies?
deleted_user
deleted_user

I was in the hospital. I had two dialysis treatments. I looked at the bill today. It was more than $9,000.00. So inpatient dialysis is really expensive $4500.00 per treatment.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Oops I just realize that I also had PD treatments while I was in the hospital. So my 4500 per hemo treatment is too high. What I am sure, it is more than a person can afford.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Good topic:)

This is interesting to me and I am so glad you have so many replys.

My hubby is second chair in charge at a clinic here in N.Ga and I asked him about this. Of course, he does not get involved in billing but he did mention that they have 3 different sizes of dialyzers for different size people and for those that just have short treatments.

Also, it will depend on if someone gets EPO injections too. THat stuff is like liquid gold and really makes a big difference in billing too.

I will talk to the girl that does billing in the morning and see if she can give me more specifics about this.

Thanks for the post!
deleted_user
deleted_user

Oh the EPO. I understand it is part of the hemiodialysis treament. I know Aranesp last longer and is about $250.00 per shot. You need Epogen more frequently and i was told it is less. But we really really need the EPO to function
deleted_user
deleted_user

If you're on disability, I believe Medicare pays 100% for end stage renal care. I'm not sure if that changes if your spouse carries health insurance.

As far as the epo, I know mine has always been paid for. It's a necessary evil that costs a fortune!

Hope this helps.

Dale
deleted_user
deleted_user

Okay yall, I got an official bill from a dialysis clinic.

Each treament : $1048.00

EPO injection (lowest dose) $192.06
(largest dose) $2,418.21

Filters: $24.50 each

Total Charges For 21 Patient on 1 treatment Day

Treatments total: $22,008.00

EPO given (not all pts rec'd) $9,908.55

Filters: $1,697.50

**These charges are from 6/08 so I am sure all items have gone up in price. And, when medicare and other ins pay, they always reimburse a lesser amount than the charges. I am not sure how all that works but I guess its comes out alright in the end or there would be no clinics opened, right??

It is interesting as I really did not have any idea what the charges are for these treatments any longer. So this was enlightening for me.

Thanks again for posting this.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Edna from the UK, if a person here in the US needs to be on dialysis, they are automatically signed up for Medicare benefits even if they have other insurance because the ins they currently have will be the primary payer and then the Medicare will coordinate the benefits and pay some towards it too.

If a person is not low income enough to qualify for state medical programs like Medicaid, they still would get the Medicare that would help pay.

FYI,
Even when someone comes here from Mexico, etc. and has a treatment, they are secured in the good old US of A for their treatments and care at no expense to them. Illegal or not, they are not sent home and get their medical care free of charge to them.

While I do believe in helping people, I do think we should help our own first, and God knows we have plenty of those right here.

SOrry for going there yall. Hope I did not offend anyone as that was not my intention. I just was adding a little more info regarding how some people get treatments and help.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I am American living in the UK (dual citizenship). The NHS provides me 3 days a week - 52 weeks a year of 4 hour dialysis. I get my Epo and all other drugs on the NHS also. I thought this might be important in light of the debate over health care going on in the US. I have been on holiday in the US 4 times where medicare and my insurance paid the bill. Most of those holiday dialysis's were fine but the last time in Ft Lauderdale it was way less than satisfactory. I could not live in the UK without the NHS and my partner could not live in the US as insurance for him would be way too much to afford.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I got a statement that said $680.00 per treatment. I got 3 times a week for 3.5 hours.