Diabetes Type 2 Support Group

Type 2 Diabetes is a condition in which the body either does not produce enough insulin or does not make efficient use of it. Insulin is a hormone needed to convert food into glucose, a sugar that the body uses for energy. Without enough insulin, glucose can accumulate in the blood, and can cause serious health problems such as heart disease and strokes and organ damage such as eye and kidney damage.

1 Online
1 Online

metformin side effects

I have been on 500 once a day for almost 2 months. The past couple of weeks i have had muscle pain and weakness . Been working out a lot but places hurt that i havent workred. Could it be a side effect or would I have had them early on? It'sbad enough i am calling my dr monday but wanted your imput.

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi again! I looked up the potential side effects and it sounds like this may apply to you.

Signs of lactic acidosis, including feeling tired or weak, muscle pain, trouble breathing, stomach pain, feeling cold, dizziness or lightheadedness, and a slow or irregular heartbeat (see Metformin and Lactic Acidosis)

There are many sites on the internet to check the side effects. Just search Metformin side effects.

Take care of yourself!

Adrianne
mzizgayle
mzizgayle

its possible but should be temporary, do check with your doctor tho
deleted_user
deleted_user

I know it sounds like that, but since it took 2 months to show itself...assumed any side effects would be within the 1st weeks...
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hey Kae! Sorry to hear that you are having problems but running into issues with any medication can take a while to manifest itself. So, I would not be surprised at the 2 month delay, it takes a while for the medication to work its way into your system and that may be the cause of the issue.

Actually, not too long ago, my mom, who has Altzheimers, was admitted to the hospital because she was going downhill rapidly, when she was admitted they did not think that she would last the week. Well, the second day that she was in they did a blood test and they found that one of the medications that she was on had started to behave like a toxin in her system. They took her off this medication that she had been on for almost 30 years and poof, you would not believe the difference! So, I don't discount a slow reaction to medication.

Ask your doctor about it. Or ask your pharmacist. Take care,

hugs,

lary
deleted_user
deleted_user

I called...waiting for her to call me back. Damn...it's really working, my numbers are never high...EVER...
deleted_user
deleted_user

> > > Damn...it's really working, my numbers are never high...EVER..< < <

Glad to hear that.

Out of curiosity, are your numbers ever REALLY low? Like so low they would be a concern?

thanks in advance.
deleted_user
deleted_user

nope...fasting is usually between 86-96 and post meals about 100-125. It's working...so hope I can just wait it out and my body will adjust.
deleted_user
deleted_user

ok...seeing my Dr on wed. Will let you all know.
deleted_user
deleted_user

With your numbers so good, they might even try you without it to see if you can keep them in the normal range with just diet and exercise. I was having the hypo thing happen, so they took me off. If you can do SO well on the Metformin, maybe you can do it without it...

Just a thought?
deleted_user
deleted_user

Good luck and let us know what the Doc says, ok?
deleted_user
deleted_user

maybe... just another hurdle when I thought I had this running smoothly...
deleted_user
deleted_user

Please let us know what your doctor says. Adrianne
deleted_user
deleted_user

my dr is sick so had to cancel first appt...then the second - she has the tummy bug...so seeing another dr in the practice today. 3 days now without meds...post meal BS reading was 104...not too shabby!
deleted_user
deleted_user

my appt was frustrating, more questions than answers. As I mentioned I wasn't able to see my dr. turned out that their computers were down so the dr I did see had NO info on me. NONE! they aren't sure if it is the metformin or the chol. meds I am on so I am to stop them both.
they took blood so now we wait.

this dr thought that maybe I was working out too hard or not eating enough...both totally not the case.
so....waiting.