Diabetes Type 2 Support Group

Type 2 Diabetes is a condition in which the body either does not produce enough insulin or does not make efficient use of it. Insulin is a hormone needed to convert food into glucose, a sugar that the body uses for energy. Without enough insulin, glucose can accumulate in the blood, and can cause serious health problems such as heart disease and strokes and organ damage such as eye and kidney damage.

0 Online
0 Online

Gastric bypass for diabetes?

Has anyone had the Gastric bypass to "cure" thier diabetes?

Replies

cowboy357
cowboy357

my wife had a gastric bypass 2 years ago, and her diabetes went into remission I guess you'd call it. she does not have to take metformin anymore, and she had alot of other health problems that are gone now.
Roxanne924
Roxanne924

Thank you for your reply. I have read that about 85% are "cured" from diabetes. That was the final decission for me to have the surgery. I am in the process now. And I hope and pray Im not one of the 15% that it does not work for.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Good luck with your surgery and keep us informed on how you are coming along...
I myself am thinking about the Lab Band Surgery but I'm dealing with some health issues that need to be address first..

Best Wishes!
Roxanne924
Roxanne924

I am having the GBS on 8/5/08, only 4 days away. Hope this will be a "cure" for my diabetes. I am so looking forward to all the advantages that will come with the wieght lose.
cowboy357
cowboy357

good luck with your surgery, my wife was taken off metformin the day before surgery n has not had any problems with diabetes, or most of her health issues ,
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hey Roxanne! Congratulations on your decision to have the surgery! I am sure this was not an easy decision to make. Losing weight definitely can "cure" diabetes (type 2 that is) ..and that is why they say that Gastric Bypass does cure diabetes since so many people lose weight from it. I completely understand how hard it can be to lose weight on your own. This is something I have struggled with my whole life. I have accomplished many things in life, but weight loss and overcoming diabetes has been, by far, the hardest thing I have ever encountered.

Anyway, good for you! And I wish you all the best! Keep us posted on your progress!!! :)
deleted_user
deleted_user

Good luck and pray there are no complications!
Roxanne924
Roxanne924

UPDATE:
Home from hospital yesterday. Lots of pain but otherwise things are going good. Have retained alot of fluids but these should subside soon. Blood sugars have been in the normal range.
Will keep my journal updated as time goes on. Thank you for your support.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Great to hear! I am very happy for you! Keep us posted. Would love to hear your periodic results...
deleted_user
deleted_user

yes i have and after my surgery i was off all meds in a week

howard
deleted_user
deleted_user

HW - THIS TOPIC IS 2 YEARS OLD
lostonrye
lostonrye

The gastric by pass can be had in the UK for those who meet the criteria Diabetes in one factor but you also need to be overweight by some 30% and have tried to diet first.

A report last week said that the bypass could save more money than it cost in treating people for type 2 and also the adverse effects of overweight.
I don;t think it is too difficult to get on the list over here if you are overweight and have an understanding doc
I don;t know how much the operation would cost privately,The exact same operation but if you pay yourself you can jump the Que

quite a lot of celebrates have had the operation and the difference is amazing to see.

I have not heard of the explanation how this can halt diabetes when even a very strict diet doesn't really seem to work long term?
deleted_user
deleted_user

It does work long term unless eat larger portions and after 2 years your stomach stretches.
cowboy357
cowboy357

yes a g bypass can help reduce alot of health issues if you stick to the diet you are given. my wife had one a couple few yrs ago.
she had sleep apnea, it's gone.
she had high blood pressure, it's gone,
she was on metformin for diabetes, she does not have to take meds
for it, just watch her diet.
she was needing knee surgery, not anymore , she didn't have the surgery.
she had an asthma inhaler, she hasn't needed it in a few yrs.
the cheapest cost of the gastric bypass I've heard of here in the USA. was about $18,000, that does not include excess skin reduction if needed after you lose weight.
(some insurances cover both if medicaly needed)
yes it's an old post but gastric bypasses are still being done everyday & they can help ppl who are dedicated enough to stick with the diet.
when my wife first had it done she was sick pretty bad from it .
but she said she'd do it again if she had to.
she lost 0ver 200 pounds & is about 100 % healthier now.
the main way ppl lose weight is by cutting down on carbohydrates.
lostonrye
lostonrye

I have read of some one who was hypnotised into believing thay had Gastric bypass and lost weight
some kind of experiment but she also probably stuck to the recommended by pass diet.

also all the procedure;s for the gastric band except the surgery were carried out.

My question as a failed dieter is if I could keep to the same diet
a bypass patient would eat
Would I get all the benefits i/e no more diabetic meds???

and also how can you get all the nutrients the body needs from such a restricted diet

what I seen ot the diet people have after these ops seems almost an anorexic One