Diabetes Type 2 Support Group

Type 2 Diabetes is a condition in which the body either does not produce enough insulin or does not make efficient use of it. Insulin is a hormone needed to convert food into glucose, a sugar that the body uses for energy. Without enough insulin, glucose can accumulate in the blood, and can cause serious health problems such as heart disease and strokes and organ damage such as eye and kidney damage.

1 Online
1 Online

Cymbalta causes diabetes??

Does anyone out there have the experience of taking Cymbalta for 18 months (or till you couldn't stand it any longer), and then having your blood sugars gradually increase while on it? Mine did.
I would not recommend Cymbalta for anyone.

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

For some reason, a lot of the latest psych meds coming out can give you diabetes. Zyprexa is the worst offender, but most of the mood stabilizers and anti-psychotics can do it. (They say it's because they make you fat, but a lot of them don't, so now what?) The whole SSRI family (Prozac, Zoloft, Luvox, and their ilk) can fcrew up your blood sugar too. I had been on Prozac for 3 years whejn I found out that I, a slender 30-year-old, had Type 2. I have been off Prozac a long time but my unfriendly visitor is still there.
deleted_user
deleted_user

This makes a lot of sense to me! I was taking paxil when diagnosed, and then Cymbalta. I have been off cymbalta(I hate that drug) for a few months now and recently my BG has gone down more to normal levels! I will have to bring this up to my Endo on the 25th! Thanks for posting!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I believe some of the meds I have taken are what caused my diabetes, No one on my mommas or daddys side of the family has ever had diabetes. (Risperdal, Abilify, Geodon, Paxil, Zoloft, Luvox, just to name a few)
deleted_user
deleted_user

I am totally against this current-day practice of throwing pills at people for their emotional problems. It only serves to make people more dependent on MDs and reinforces their belief that they cannot tolerate any emotional discomfort. It tells them in no uncertain terms that they cannot learn to manage their own thoughts and moods. ALL OF THAT IS UNTRUE.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I thought I was alone with this issue! I had taken Cymbalta for over 2 years with other miserable side affects. Then, just as I stop taking it, my doctor tells me I have type 2 diabetes. (9.4 A1C test) .
Doc put me on Metformin for the diabetes, after 3 months, I had a 6.4 A1C test. (Normal range.) No one in my family on either Mom or Dad's side had diabetes. Tell me it wasn't the Cymbalta?

Cliffenstein, I hope your sugar went down to normal, and Lovies54106, I'm glad yours did. I'm just hoping mine will.
If ANYONE has had this happen, please post it so I know there is some hope I can stop the Metformin one day.
Thanks
deleted_user
deleted_user

This is very interesting.

Although I have to argue that not ALL people have "pills thrown at them" because they cannot handle their emotional problems. Mental illness is just as real as any other disease.

Cliff that was rather unsensitive.
fibrIC2
fibrIC2

Cliff--can you manage and control your dreams? Mental illness is like that-uncontrollable without help, be it therapy or medication, or with personal effort to some degree. Some meds do help.
Gizmo333-my A1C is finally back down to 6.2-yes you can recover from Cymbalta! I'm going to ease off the Metformin and see what happens....
deleted_user
deleted_user

I dint think cymbalta had anything to do w/t2d in any way. I take Lyrica which warns of possible weight gain,so l only take it 1x/day it's prescribed 3x I researched cymbalta while writing this & it claims a study had minimal/no effect on diabetes ( type was not mentioned) l take no drugs for t2d & believe i'm 'pre-diabetic) I hope Lovies will tell us what her Endo has to say. l cant help but wonder if meds for t2d in combo w/cymbalta. I can say that cymbalta ceased to help my perifial neurapathy, but dr said keep taking it & it IS a helpful sleep aid & no dr wants to give sleeping pills
God Bless
BSPUNKY
BSPUNKY

I take cymbalta
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hey y'all I am new here so here goes.

I have been taking Cymbalta for close to two years. It helps with my depression but I mostly take i for my neuropathy. I am on insulin, metformin, hydrocodone, ultram, and the fentynal patch for diabetes and pain. I think that Cymbalta does help both problems.
andyls322
andyls322

So all diabetics are emotionally unstable...thanks for that socks oh I do love your input.
I am probably the most emotionally stable guy on the planet. and Im diabetic....
Go figure

BUZZ
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hello, I have taken cymbalta for 5 years and took zyprexa for 4 years. . I gained a lot of weight while taking both medicines. After 5 years I went to my general doctor, which found that my glucose numbers were high but said it could be reversible if I lost weight. I lost all the weight, but my glucose and insulin numbers didnt improve. I was diagnosed with diabetes 2, with no family history of diabetes. I have to take metformin everyday.
Is there a way I can reverse this situation??? did the medicines cause a permanent damage?. Did your glucose numbers improve when you quit the medication'????
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have been on Paxil (gen) for ~ 8 yrs. I have read it can cause diabetes. I have 2 shirt tail relatives, one with type 1 and 1 type 2 both from the same side of family. The dietitian said that is all it takes. I don't know what to think.
deleted_user
deleted_user

This was really and old post but...very interesting. I was having extreme anxiety attacks many years ago and was in a study down in Miami for Panic Attacks. I remember they said a a few times my sugar seems tobe creeping up. I never paid attention to that as I was quite ignorant about diabetes.
It was a year later I found out I had diabetes..Forget the drug they had me on..Hmmmmmmmmm
earthworm
earthworm

To an extent, I agree with Cliff, insensitivity aside.
ADD, Bipolar, personality disorder , the meds helped some what.
What we need is a much more tolerant society.
Ritalin and Prozac, others were my drug, chosen by others.
None of this crap for the last ten, but I am also retired, thank goodness.
And during the 80s,90s there was no diabetes, that I know of...