Depression Support Group

Depression is a real and debilitating condition that is often misunderstood by family and friends. Its meaning can range from a prolonged period of sadness to an actual mental illness with specific symptoms. Find and share experiences with others who are going through the same struggles.

6 Online
6 Online

FEELING \"NUMB\" AND/OR LACK OF FEELINGS

CALL IT THE HOLIDAY BLUES, BUT I KNOW IT ISN\'T JUST THE BLUES...BUT IT ALSO ISN\'T DEPRESSION. I BASICALLY FEEL LIKE A ZOMBIE, THAT WHEN I TELL SOMETHING TO SOMEONE, THAT THEY 1. DON\'T BELIEVE ME AND/OR 2. DON\'T THINK I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. MAYBE I\'M RELIVING SOME HORRIBLE THANKSGIVING MEMORIES FROM 16 YEARS AGO...REVERTING BACK TO MY \"CHILDHOOD\" AS A TEEN IN FOSTER CARE...REALLY DON\'T KNOW! I FEEL NUMB IN REGARD TO MY FEELINGS, AND TODAY IS THE WORST DAY BECAUSE I\'VE BEEN QUIET ALL DAY LONG! CAN ANYONE...WILL ANYONE SHARE SOME LIGHT ON THIS? THANKS, AND TO END THIS ON A HAPPY NOTE: HAPPY THANKSGIVING 2006!

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

It\'s interesting when you are depressed and feel like you have emotion it is usually because there is just so much anger and sadness. You\'re not alone, even though you feel really sucky right now. I hope you have a good Thanksgiving too, and just send me a message if you are feeling numb, angry, or whatever, if you want to.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I think that you are very smart to allow yourself to feel the way you feel. That is tough to do. Always remember, that tomorrow is a new day, you can get up, take a deep breath and maybe try doing some excercise, or, being that is it Thanksgiving, write down what you are thankful for, it may help you to feel a little better...good luck, i will be thinking of you! HUGS
deleted_user
deleted_user

the numbness is still here, but not as quite as severe as it was yesterday. still feel like a zombie, but I think that I am honestly overcoming the numbness. had a somewhat good nite\'s sleep, but having dreams about me seeing my biological father in 1988 (this time of yr.)...was so scared of him that i was nauseated and could hardly finish my meal, and went back to my sister\'s apt. to finish it. that was 18 years ago! this yr. is the first time that I am not having dinner with my mom and stepfather as well (by \"choice\"). They only invited me, and not my \'husband\' because he\'s working. I AM TIRED OF TRYING TO HAVE A FAMILY RELATIONSHIP, TIRED OF TRYING TO HAVE FRIENDS--OF HANGING ON IN THE PAST TO TRY AND REVIVE FRIENDSHIPS--, I AM TIRED OF FIGHTING FOR WHAT I WANT AND NEED: LOVE AND RESPECT! IF THEY CAN\'T GIVE THAT TO ME, THEN THERE IS NO ROOM IN MY LIFE FOR THEM...PERIOD! I GIVE THEM LOVE AND RESPECT ALL THE TIME...WELL, NO MORE!

I AM HAVING THANKSGIVING DINNER WITH MY HUSBAND AND HIS FAMILY...THAT IS ALL I EVER NEED!

THANKS FOR LETTING ME VENT!
--JON
deleted_user
deleted_user

When I hear that someone is feeling either numb or has a lack of emotions it quickly makes me think of the medication Effexor. I have seen and heard several people talk about how it has numbed their emotions or they can\'t cry anymore, etc. Regarding the dreams, again, I have heard the same or similar story regarding the medication Effexor. People have very vivid dreams and many of those dreams are of people from the past. If you are on this medication, I would advise that you talk with your doctor about what you have posted and see if there is a connection
deleted_user
deleted_user

I grew up in foster homes....17 different ones so I know the feeling of numbness. I used to call it the Holiday hangover that feeling like you are sure you have had a good time last \"holiday\" (instaed of last night) even if you don\'t remember the details. So now is another holiday season and what do you compare it with....(like meeting someone a week later after your first incounter was on a night where you had a few to many) how do you act? What is expected of you? What happens if the hangover was caused by a bad night of drinking and you meet that person?Holiday\'s feel that way to me some times like I know somewhere in the past there was lots of laughter, hugs and smiles. But today won\'t it just be easier to feel nothing untill I know for sure...
deleted_user
deleted_user

THANKS FOR THE POST! HOWEVER, I\'M NOT ON THAT PARTICULAR MEDICATION. I AM FEELING BETTER NOW...FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE READ MY LATEST JOURNAL ENTRY, AS THIS WILL EXPLAIN EVERYTHING!

SINCERELY,
JON
deleted_user
deleted_user

FIRST, please allow me to share your pain about growing up in foster homes. That is really unfortunate--17 homes--and I am lucky that I \"only had 1\" to live into. Foster homes are, in my opinion, the LAST RESORT for anyone to go through! Compare? You cannot compare this, or any, holiday to the previous one. Why? Because it is one never-ending NIGHTMARE when you have siblings and parents pick on you, gripe and moan, lose their tempers, etc. etc. and especially DRINK TOO MUCH (NO OFFENSE)on the holidays. Alcohol never helped anyone...it just makes them ugly, unpredicatable, and B****Y! If you would like to have me as a friend, please feel free to add me. Thanks for the post, and remember, if you EVER NEED TO TALK, I\'M HERE FOR YOU!
deleted_user
deleted_user

what can I do to help me pass this time in my life I AM SO TRIED OF CRYING
deleted_user
deleted_user

PLEASE HELP ME
deleted_user
deleted_user

please send me a PVT. MESSAGE W/DETAILS OF YOUR PROBLEM! TRY AND DO IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE,OK?!
deleted_user
deleted_user

It sounds to me like you\'re describing feeling emotionally disconnected or disengaged. It\'s particularly linked to depression in men.

If you\'re seeing a therapist, they can help you evaluate ways you can work through it.

Two books on the topic that might help you are \"I Don\'t Want to Talk About It\" by Terrence Real, which is about male depression, and \"Reinventing Your Life: The Breakthrough Program to End Negative Behavior\" by Jeffrey E. Young and Janet S. Klosko, which has a goofy title but uses a lot of cognitive therapy techniques.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you\'re doing.

-- Melissa
deleted_user
deleted_user

Dear MelissaGC:
Thank you for the feedback on this post. The \"numbness\" has been gone for 6 days now, so I think I am doing better. I am going to save this post and write down the books you mentioned in your post for future reference (to order...where from?). Once again, thanks for your post and the great advice!

Sincerely yours,
Jonathan
deleted_user
deleted_user

Jonathan,

I\'m glad to hear you\'re feeling relief from emotional disconnection.

Both of the books are in print and available through major online bookstores like Amazon or Barnes & Noble. Local bookstores may have them in stock or you can order the books through them by providing the title and author.

WorldCat is a networked library catalog that can help you find items in libraries near you. Here are links to the WorldCat entries for the books:

- \"I Don\'t Want to Talk About It\" by Terrence Real
http://worldcat.org/oclc/35450459

- \"Reinventing Your Life\" by Jeffrey E. Young and Janet S. Klosko
http://worldcat.org/oclc/26851096

-- Melissa
deleted_user
deleted_user

I COULD HAVE SAID IT BETTER, I TALK AND THEY LOOK AT ME LIKE WORDS DIDN\'T EVEN COME OUT OF MY MOUTH.I HATE THE HOLIDAYS NOW, EVERYBODY WANTS SOMETHING. ITS LIKE MY HEAD WANTS TO BURST.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I know that you\'re being serious, but I JUST HAVE TO say this: thanks for the chuckle!:) Seriously, ur absolutely right about everyone wants something for the holidays. Do you know what I want? I want my family to get along: no picking on each other, no fighting, no b****ing, etc. etc. Just have a nice peaceful, happy, loving, and joyous Holiday--no matter which one it is--but even more importantly, I want all the Holiday \"Peace\" to be throughout the year, and throughout the world! If you ever want to talk, I\'m here, OK?