Depression Support Group

Depression is a real and debilitating condition that is often misunderstood by family and friends. Its meaning can range from a prolonged period of sadness to an actual mental illness with specific symptoms. Find and share experiences with others who are going through the same struggles.

9 Online
9 Online

Can you lose your job?

Can I lose your job if you go to the hospital for depression? because today i feel horrible and all i think about lately is dying.I was taking lexapro and buspar for months but havent for over a week cause i ran out.plus i dont feel it did anything for me. I just feel like I can't take this feeling anymore and I should go to the hospital.but my brother is my manager at work and he lives with me and gets pissed about me missing work and my depression.He told me not to take medicine.but i feel like i dont care if i lose my house and everything anymore.If I goto the hospital for a few days can they fire you? I dont care about losing the money but i do need a job in the future.I really dont care what people thinkabout me anyway anymore.Should i go to the hospital? Thanks everyone and sorry about the way i write.

Replies

Juice
Juice

Depression is illness. If you have a contract you cannot be fired for illness. They wouldn't fire you if you had appendicitus or swine flu.
Juice
Juice

Oh, and there's nothing wron gwith the way you write :)

Brave move to ask for help. If you are offered hospitalisation take it. Good luck.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Not sure, but I do know that a friend of mine had a bad pregnancy and the doctor put her off her feet. She had a state job, they fired her. Honestly they did. She can't get unemployment. She had the baby last week.
deleted_user
deleted_user

thanks
deleted_user
deleted_user

Get documentation from your p-doc with an "official" diagnosis - just in case.

But this may be different in different states and different countries.
Community LeaderWanderingVet
WanderingVet

In most US States, an employer can fire anyone for any reason or NO reason. It gets complicated though .. for example if there is a labor union involved. Basically, an employer can fire anyone anytime for any or NO REASON.

It was a mistake to stop taking your medication without a doctor's opinion. Suddenly stopping medication can cause some pretty big problems .. like a severe downward spiral.

Another problem you have is a brother in control of your mental health (whether to take medication or not), your professional position, and your home life ... at least two of which he is not qualified to handle for you.

Should you go to a hospital? Maybe. If there is a reasonable possibility you may harm yourself or someone else, you DEFINITELY need to be under professional supervision and need to present to a Doctor, ER, 911, or whatever.

Another reason to go is because you WANT to go .. in which case go right ahead if you have the means to pay for it.

I would say yes .. you could lose your job over it, but believe it or not, that should not stop you from seeking help if you think you are at risk of self harm.
Juice
Juice

The UK tends to be a little more reticent in firing people with health issues, but that very much depends on your employer. The others are right, though. Your health MUST come first, as without it you will not be able to function. Hang in there daniel.
Alphonsus
Alphonsus

What people can do LEGALLY and what they do anyway are two different things. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is designed to protect your job under this kind of circumstance, but that wouldn't keep them from firing you anyway and turning it into a legal battle.

That said, voodooguru was spot on with his advice. Your life comes first. Always.
deleted_user
deleted_user

you can use the family medical leave act. it is a dissability to suffer with depression. he could fire you however then you might get unemployment or fight him under the americans with dissabilities act. Most of all do what is best for you.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Why on earth stop your meds???? That alone could bring on a major depression. Don't you think it would easier to get back on meds, than go to the hosp.? Your brother is an idiot, you can tell him I said so.
deleted_user
deleted_user

If you ran out of meds and that's why you're not taking them is it because of money? You can ask your doc for help with meds. I did that years ago when I was laid off. Each Rx company has a form you can fill out through your doc and you can get free meds due to hardships. i did that back in 2000. Forms may have changed but i remember the front office did the paperwork and i just signed my name. I think I got about six months of drugs for free. Try it, you have nothing to lose.

Medical leave depends on the size of your company and a few other things. Go to your HR department and ask them for the forms. From what I gather (I'm about to start the process Monday - wish me luck), you don't really have to tell your boss but it's a good idea. Especially if you live together. Many people don't understand depression can really call for a time out. I'm trying to get my head around it! Your brother has to open his heart and mind to see that everyone is different and deal with things differently. Nothing more.

Good luck and get back on your meds. We're silly when we think we can take ourselves off meds.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Do whatever makes you better! If that means losing your job, well, what is work compared to your health? And I am sure there are laws that protect those of us who face those hard choices in life. I wish you hope, strength, happiness and WHOLE health, no matter what route you choose is the best for you!
Rachel100
Rachel100

Silver, please get back on your meds. Maybe you don't feel like they were doing anything, but maybe they were. Anyway, go back to your doctor, or get a new doctor. BUT don't stop your medication without having medical help. Depression is nothing to fool around with because we need help.

As for your job, you can always find another one. I'm sorry you are in such a bind right now, but your health is more important. Take time to get on some medication that makes you feel better. Someone on here mentioned forms you can fill out with pharmaceutical companies so you can get your medication for free, or at reduced rates. Also sometimes counties have free clinics. Even churches will often help pay for your medicine.

Keep writing to us and let us know how you are doing, ok?
ZAZAS
ZAZAS

I'd think going to the hospital is the most important thing if you feel you need it......go. I don't think they can fire you if you have a doctor's excuse.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I was going to say the same thing...you are protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you feel you are a harm to yourself...go to the hospital. You shouldn't be sitting around thinking about it! Also, don't ever just stop your meds cold turkey! You can have severe withdrawals from them...as bad as a seizure! I know..I've had 2 of them and drove my car into a frozen lake! Thank God it was frozen or me and my daughter (she is 12 now, was 3 at the time of the accident) would have been dead!!

It also did help that I was trying to get clean of of prescription pain medication that I had been misusing. Anywy, enough about me...