Depression Support Group

Depression is a real and debilitating condition that is often misunderstood by family and friends. Its meaning can range from a prolonged period of sadness to an actual mental illness with specific symptoms. Find and share experiences with others who are going through the same struggles.

7 Online
7 Online

abilify

Hi All,
I just read that abilify was a tranquilizer. Is this true?

It has the opposite effect on me, and gives me energy. I was wondering if anyone else takes abilify, and gets energy, or do you get sleepy?

I know this is a personal question, so you need not answer at all.

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

Hey Gidget/Bridget, You know of course we are all different and respond differently to different meds. I took abilify for about a year and stopped in January. Technically I think it is an anti-psychotic. I found it useful at first and attributed some improvement to it. I seemed to get a boost from it, so I guess I'd say it gave me some energy and hope. I really objected to the cost even though the insurance company was picking up the lion's share. When my deductible increased I objected. It was still affordable but on principle I figured I could get by on generics. Never felt as though it was a tranquilizer though it could have some anti-anxiety effect. I think I'm doing okay without it, though I did have an unusually tough winter. Thank God for Spring and for DS.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hey Gidget/Bridget, You know of course we are all different and respond differently to different meds. I took abilify for about a year and stopped in January. Technically I think it is an anti-psychotic. I found it useful at first and attributed some improvement to it. I seemed to get a boost from it, so I guess I'd say it gave me some energy and hope. I really objected to the cost even though the insurance company was picking up the lion's share. When my deductible increased I objected. It was still affordable but on principle I figured I could get by on generics. Never felt as though it was a tranquilizer though it could have some anti-anxiety effect. I think I'm doing okay without it, though I did have an unusually tough winter. Thank God for Spring and for DS.
Community LeaderWanderingVet
WanderingVet

Seeking ... I got your PM to remove your duplicate reply due to a 'connection problem'. I cannot remove ... anything. I could only close the entire thread .. so let us 'let this go'. Not a big deal, actually.

Thanks for letting me know. Much 'worse' things have happened.

Gidge ... Yes, I am pretty sure abilify is a fairly strong tranq ... but I am no doc or pharmacist.