Degenerative Joint Disease Support Group

Osteoarthritis (OA) is a condition in which low-grade inflammation results in pain in the joints, caused by wearing of the cartilage that covers and acts as a cushion inside joints. Due to decreased movement because of the pain, regional muscles may atrophy, and ligaments may become more lax. OA is the most common form of arthritis.

1 Online

DJD, DDD, and Osteoarthritis, are they the same?

After a long period of eliminating possible causes behind the symptoms I am having, Ive been told that I have degenerative disc and joint disease. Osteoarthritis was also mentioned.

Ive researched this information to see if djd, ddd and osteoarthritis are the same thing. Ive found conflicting information. I understand that djd affects the joints and ddd affects the discs in the spine. I was surprised to learn that some people have ddd without symptoms of djd. I would really like to know if osteoarthritis is the same thing as ddd and djd.

Can anybody clear this up for me?

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

I am not doctor but I think DJD is the facet joints and DDD is your disc degeneration. Osteoarthritis is DJD. I have all at 44 unfortunely among aot of other stuff.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Lisa is right. The osteoarthitis causes hypertropy of the vertebrae at the level of the facet joints in the spine. Add ddd and you have one dysfuntional spine full of pain!
bbbb
bbbb

I agree with all. There is a difference and you can look up on google and get some really good info about your medical situation.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I am not a doctor but I do know there is a huge difference between normal, progressive osteo and osteo from an injury. I have both and the injury is what is killing me. I can tolerate the rest of the pain.
deleted_user
deleted_user

You have the same conditions as I do: DDD, DJD and OA! They are all different. Visit Spine Universe or just google the terms. They are a painful trio!
Cammiecat
Cammiecat

Spine Universe? That sounds like it could be a good site. I have djd from an injury and the pain is awful.