Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) Support Group

Deep-vein thrombosis, also known as deep-venous thrombosis or DVT, is the formation of a blood clot ("thrombus") in a deep vein. It can be caused by something preventing blood from circulating or clotting normally. Join the support group if you are coping with DVT and find others who are going through the same challenges.

0 Online

Pain and swelling question

Hi, I've been slowly recovering after suffering a massive (whole left leg) DVT and multiple bilateral PEs just after Christmas 2011.

Late last month I got my repeat x-rays and ultrasound and was told the clot and PEs are gone.

I hadn't really had a big problem with pain and swelling until I returned to work on the last week of June, just a itchy, red rash and some tenderness, but over the last few weeks my leg is generally swollen at the end of the day, which I treat with cold compresses and elevation above the level of the heart as soon as I get home.

The most tender spot of all, I have noticed, is about 4 inches below my left knee, with some distinct, hardish swellings that are pretty painful to the touch.

Has anybody experienced anything like this?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi Coconutty,
Are you still taking coumadin? If not, I would suggest you may want to schedule a Dr.visit ASAP to make sure you haven't re-clotted. If you're still on coumadin and INR is in proper range you may just be experiencing some PTS symptoms. I'm not sure that "distinct, hardish swellings" is a symptom of PTS though. Are you wearing compression hose on your left leg?
deleted_user
deleted_user

Also, were you ever tested for May Thurner syndrome?
rmb
rmb

Maybe signs of PTS?
dero
dero

I was thinking PTS also, regardless, visit your Dr. always better to know as oppose to find out too late...
deleted_user
deleted_user

@RS97338: I'm still on coumadin and INR is in range.

On the compression hose: Surprisingly, my hospital doc didn't think I needed them. I did get a pair online, but I probably do need to get a scrip for the 30-40 ones.

The PTS I've suspected for awhile, but I'm having trouble finding a do who knows much about it. I do have an appointment on Friday, hopefully I'll manage to get the issue dealt with this time.

Thanks to all who responded, the thoughts and advice are much appreciated.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Update:

Had both my coumadin clinic and dr. appointment yesterday.

My INR was just slightly below range at 1.9 so they had me take 10 mg just for yesterday.

As for the doc, he almost sent me for another ultrasound til he saw I had one less than a month ago. So he prescribed me the 30-40 Jobst stockings and vicodin for the pain. I'm definitely grateful for the vics since the leg's been so painful it's been hard to get to sleep at night.

Anyway, I get fitted for my stockings first thing Monday morning.

The job situation is not so good, however. Though they promised to work with me, now they're saying they can't figure out a way that I can sit for 6 hours of my shift, even for just the 3 weeks the doc is asking for.

In other words, I go back to the same situation on Monday.

Needless to say, I'm already looking for another job. :(
CrashTestDummy
CrashTestDummy

I too get a red spot on the back of my left leg just below the knee that appears like sort of a hive. The only difference is mine gets ichy not sore. Cortisone cream does nothing to help it. Pressure socks do seem to make it go away. It only seems to appear if I am not in the hot weather on the weekends.

I suspect you will feel better once you start wearing the socks.

Good luck!
deleted_user
deleted_user

@Crash: My problem is more like painful swollen lumps.

Best way I can describe it is that it's kinda like the goose egg you might get if you receive a good knock on the head and, rather than heat, it seems to be aggravated by prolonged standing.

I do also get the itchy,scaly, red eczema stuff on my leg, mostly on the front and inner calf. Some spread to just below my ankle and a couple of my toes. Cortisone cream does seem to help that. Somewhat..
deleted_user
deleted_user

Painful swollen lumps sound a lot like the parts of a very large varicose vein that are nearest the skin - I have those. This is why compression hosiery helps - it squashes them and relieves the itching / burning.
Can't do without these massively swollen veins, though - they're taking the blood around the clotted / narrowed section of deep vein. (I'm clotted IVC to ankle, so I have rather a lot of 'bypass' circulation going on!)
Regarding the sitting for 6 hrs at work, this would be the worst thing for me - regular moving about keeps my leg from swelling as much; I wouldn't stay off the leg for too long in between moving around, unless there's a new clot there and you've been prescribed complete rest.
I'm sure you'll find compression socks will make a big difference - they're ugly and need wrestling with to get them on if they fit you right, but the difference they make in terms of alleviating pain & swelling is worth it.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Now this does sound like an explanation that is distinctly possible... the swollen lumps indeed are located in areas that are close to the skin. like near the knee, along the front of my calf, etc.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Maybe it is a Baker's cyst. Those often occur in the area behind your knee and can sometimes mimic the symptoms of a dvt.
deleted_user
deleted_user

@Valkyrie: The lumps are located in front, along the bone and by the large muscle to the right of my left knee, so I don't think that's the case.

UPDATE: I was feeling so miserable that I ended up going to the ER Tuesday afternoon and was just released from the hospital yesterday evening.

Turns out the continued prolonged standing caused fluid to pool in my calf and I was diagnosed with cellulitis. I also found out I'm a diabetic, which makes things even more fun, because the cellulitis is driving up my sugar. In other words, I need to get the celluliitis/infection under control to improve my blood sugar, but I need to get that under control to help the antibiotic get rid of the infection.

And then I was informed that I won't be able to work a job that requires prolonged standing. My leg just cannot tolerate that any longer. But I also can't sit all day, as I need to elevate the leg when necessary.

To make a long story short, I have been advised to apply for disability. :(
deleted_user
deleted_user

I am sorry to hear that you've now got even more on your plate than you had already.
Sending lots of good wishes your way, hope things are looking better soon for you.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Thanks, Scattybat, I really appreciate the good wishes. I can really use 'em right about now. :)
TossNTurn
TossNTurn

Holy smokes! That is a lot to handle in one hospital visit. Hopefully, all this information will help you start moving toward feeling a lot better and soon! Sending good wishes your way ...

P.S. After my DVT, I went back to my desk job, Just kept my leg elevated on boxes under my desk. Worked just fine!