COPD & Emphysema Support Group

COPD is a progressive disease characterized by airflow obstruction or limitation. Emphysema is characterized by loss of elasticity of the lung tissue, destruction of structures supporting the alveoli and of capillaries feeding the alveoli. Both have symptoms that include shortness of breath, among other respiratory troubles. If you are a COPD or Emphysema sufferer, join the group and find support.

0 Online
0 Online

Qvar experience?

I just got started yesterday on Qvar. That now gives me 3 inhalers to use daily--Qvar, Spiriva, and Xopenex. What's your experience with Qvar?

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

Never used it, but it has a steroid in it.
deleted_user
deleted_user

hey! thought i was the only that took that!

cant tell that any of them do me any good.

new doc just took me off of qvar...put me on symbicort.....who knows why?

thought spiriva had both kinds of steroids in it so you wouldnt need to take anythign else.

never heard of that xopenex one.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Advair and Spiriva both have two kinds of medicine-----but they are do not work on the same underlying issues. I know it is confusing to me. I keep asking, and every time I hear a different answer.
Advair is for Emphysema with Asthma as the underlying disorder.
Spiriva works on one of the same issues as Advair, and something else. I have never heard of Qvar?
deleted_user
deleted_user

maybe spriva is for emphy and broncitus

think spriva is the only med made jsut for emphysema
grannie
grannie

Never heard of it. I am on Symbicort for my Asthma, seems to work OK.
boldprint
boldprint

Spiriva does not have a steroid in it.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Qvar is my favorite, which is a steroid but goes directly into your airways unlike Prednisone which is taken orally can do more potential damage. I use alubterol and Ipratropium, which loosen me up, and then follow with the Qvar, which seems to keep me open and calms my airways after the other two inhalants. I did Spiriva for awhile, but stopped when started having "halo/double vision". Symbicort nor Advair worked for me. My other favorite is Oxygen,which I'm on about 20 hours a day. I also take 5 mgs of Prednisone, not crazy about that, but at least I was weaned down from 40 mgs. Just started pulmo rehab and am hoping it helps me to become more active, have been home-bound too long. I guess all of these meds pose potential side effects, but some are necessary if you have COPD and want to breathe. Different ones work for individuals based on their bodies I guess. Best wishes to you all.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I use spiriva. It has no steroids in it.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Now, that I am over my "duh?" moment. LOL Advair is a bronchodiolator and a cortosteroid. Spelling of those words ????

Spiriva seems to relieve coughing more and is not a steroid.
You cough a lot with Bronchitis. You may cough a lot with COPD; as they group a bunch of lung issues under one umbrella.

I rarely cough, but I do have asthma attacks. That is my understanding of why Advair is important for me to use as a long
acting agent. I wish I did not have to use it.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have used Qvar on a emergency level. On 2 different occassions the asthma doc put me on qvar when the other inhalers were not working and I was headed for trouble. But I only took it on a short term basis.
Have not needed it now for about the last 8 yrs.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I'm on it along with Combivent and it seems like a fairly good combination. Yesterday, we had pollution and I was extra active and got wheezy and felt sob so neither Combivent or Qvar totally helped, but it did pass. So I'll be checking in the next few weeks to see if there is a better combination.
I tried Spiriva/Symbicort combo and had bad side effects. My insurance will NOT cover Advair.
I like "allenerib"s comment about liking O2/1-1/2 LPM which I'm on 22 hrs on average (2LPM while sleeping). It has been a tremendous help to my stamina.
Qvar I believe is specifically for asthma and has been around for awhile. I'd say try it for afew days.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have a very mild case of emphysema, and was originally put on Combivent, then Qvar was added. I hated the Qvar because it made me hoarse, and then I read up on steroids and found that steroid inhalers increase the chance of getting pneumonia. My goal is to keep my light case from progressing so pneumonia is the last thing I need, so I took myself off it and then got a new pulmunologist who took me off both Combivent and Qvar and put me on Spiriva. Very quickly I started feeling much much better, and I love having just one inhaler and only once a day. And what a relief to feel so much better.

Definitely experiment with the inhalers to find a combination that works for you with the least side effects.

Life is all an experiment, isn't it? Each body is unique and we are the scientists trying to learn from experience.

Joan