COPD & Emphysema Support Group

COPD is a progressive disease characterized by airflow obstruction or limitation. Emphysema is characterized by loss of elasticity of the lung tissue, destruction of structures supporting the alveoli and of capillaries feeding the alveoli. Both have symptoms that include shortness of breath, among other respiratory troubles. If you are a COPD or Emphysema sufferer, join the group and find support.

1 Online

Love your Lungs - Love Plants

The most natural air purifiers are plants. Here is excerpts of NASA study:

"Houseplants are not only beautiful in the home, they also help cleanse the air. Bamboo palm, Spider plant; flowering Mums; Peace lily plant and Mother-in-laws-tongue, are just a few of the best houseplants for purifying air in the home, according to an ongoing two-year study by NASA and the Associated Landscape Contractors of America (ALCA).

The NASA/ALCA tests 'Interior Landscape Plants for Indoor Air Pollution Abatement' concentrated on solving the very important question: 'Indoor air pollution is a realistic threat to human health, so how can the problem be solved?' A promising, economical solution to indoor air pollution was to take a look at nature's life support system, plants. The initial testing has been for the indoor purification of the air from the chemicals, Benzene, Trichloroethylene and Formaldehyde.

Benzene is a commonly used solvent in such items as gasoline, inks, oils, paint, plastic and rubber. Furthermore, it is used in the manufacture of detergents, explosives, pharmaceuticals and dyes.

Formaldehyde is found in virtually all indoor environments. Its major sources include urea-formaldehyde foam insulation, particle board or pressed-wood products. Consumer paper products, including grocery bags, waxed paper, facial tissue and paper towels, are treated with urea formaldehyde resins. Many household cleaning agents contain formaldehyde. "

Read more about the plants that were tested and how they were tested here:

http://www.humeseeds.com/purify.htm

Replies

SoftFlower
SoftFlower

This post is most helpful.
I love house plants and its good remember they are cleaning our air.

Thanks so much for posting this,
Have a nice evening
Love to all,
Holly
Sue825
Sue825

I also love house plants, but there is a caution for people with lung problems. They can be a source of mold, so you want to make sure that the plants are well maintained, and allowed to dry out between waterings. But frankly, I wouldn't want to live without them! Thanks.
deleted_user
deleted_user

When I was in the hospital in 2004 they didn't allow any flowers or plants in the room. They said the plants took too much oxygen out of the air. For that reason I have never had any houseplants. Is there anything to this? I love flowers and houseplants but when I became ill I got rid of them.
Nellie
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi Nellie its as NASA says - plants purify the air.

Also as Sue says re the mould. This and because hospitals cannot guarantee the plants / soil are sterile is the reason they do not allow them in hospitals in the UK.

Respiratory system in plants - Gas exchange in plants

Plants inhale carbon dioxide and exhale oxygen in the day time - at night this process is reversed and plants will inhale oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide.

One reason that it is not recommended to sleep with plants in your bedroom is because of the reverse gas exchange at night - although at home I think you could safely sleep with a plant in your room if you had a window open.

Hope that helps understand some Nellie.
deleted_user
deleted_user

During many hospitalizations, I don't recall a time when plants or flowers were not allowed in my room due to hospital policies. Perhaps this is common practice in the U.K. or could be different hospitals have different rules.

Breathes, you have not mentioned allergies. Though I, too, love flowers and plants, those of us with asthma/COPD have to be very careful as to we have around us as it can trigger off a flare up, in addition to the mold Sue mentions.

Sleeping with a window open and the resulting incoming pollen can and does cause nocturnal asthma.

It is something to keep in mind...........
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi Joni -

Most of the Pot plants NASA tested are not pollen producers. Of course re the window people will need to do what is best for them personally.

I always go with what my nose and lungs tell me about what is good air to breathe - can't stand it when ivy is in flower for instance but another friend of mine just loves the fragrance of flowering ivy and she has asthma! - Guess it's what makes us all unique eh :O)

Hospitals in UK used to allow flowers and plants but they consider them too risky re harbouring infection nowadays - (re stale/old/ sour water and soil etc not to mention the little beasty's that may be lurking in the soil or among the foliage.

Enjoy your plants :O)
deleted_user
deleted_user

I love outdoor gardening but I haven't had any indoor plants for a very long time because of the copd factor .

Thank you for sharing this Breaths I trust Nasa's research . Im going to do a bit more research on my own and pick up some indoor plants .

I like the thought that a few plants can clean 1,800 sq ft of living space . wow that is huge .

Good find
Sue825
Sue825

For those of you with houseplants. Have you ever noticed that if you have several green plants in a room, and then you go away, say for a day, keeping the house shut up, and then when you come back the room smells all fresh? I know I notice it. That's because the plants have cleaned the air and added needed oxygen to the room.

I think the plants need us, too, since we exhale CO2 for them to photosynthesize.

I also heard that Spider Plants (sometimes called Airplane plants) are some of the best for this. And they are so pretty as hanging plants.

If your particular situation and allergies permit, then I say enjoy! Hugs to you all.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi Sue

Yes I have notice that the air is a much better quality with plants in the house.

I also heard about the spider plant - I think does a good job sitting near the tv or computer re absorbing and transmuting the electromagnetic / formaldehyde exposure.

Here is an interesting site too:

http://thefuturehome.blogspot.com/2008/03/spider-plant.html

I wouldn't be without my plants or my garden.
Just love those plants :O)
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi Sue

Yes I have notice that the air is a much better quality with plants in the house.

I also heard about the spider plant - I think does a good job sitting near the tv or computer re absorbing and transmuting the electromagnetic / formaldehyde exposure.

Here is an interesting site too:

http://thefuturehome.blogspot.com/2008/03/spider-plant.html

I wouldn't be without my plants or my garden.
Just love those plants :O)
deleted_user
deleted_user

Thank you sue I love spider plants and mother in laws tongue so i think those will be the ones I try .
deleted_user
deleted_user

I envy those that can have flowers and plants in abundance in their homes...and wish I could, too. As Sue said, if your circumstances allow it, it is wonderful...not just for the air purification either!

For those who have pets, often the plants we would like can be poisonous to our pets. I pretty much knew about philodendrons, but not the others. Jaz is a cat that likes to take a taste of just about everything, and if you have a puppy or dog that likes to chew, the following may be helpful in whatever plants you might chose.

"Air Cleaning House Plants

Houseplants can be very beneficial in our lives. They purify and renew our stale indoor air by filtering out toxins, pollutants and the carbon dioxide we exhale - replacing them with life sustaining oxygen!

Although it should be safe to presume that all plants are capable of removing toxins from our air, research by NASA showed that some house plants are more efficient in filtering out toxins than others. Philodendrons, Spider plants, and Pothos were found to be the most efficient in the removal of formaldehyde. Gerbera Daisies and Chrysanthemums were found to be effective in the removal of benzene, a known carcinogen.

As a rule of thumb, allow one houseplant per 100 square feet of living area. The more vigorous the plant, the more air it can filter. Keep in mind that plants will not do much to alleviate tobacco smoke or dust in the air.

Aglaonema sp. Chinese Evergreen
Aloe barbabensis Aloe Vera, Burn plant - Poison Information
Chlorophytum comosum Spider Plants
Chrysanthemum sp. Mums - Poison Information
Dieffenbachia sp. Dumbcane - Poison Information
Epipremnum sp. Golden Pothos
Ficus sp. Ficus
Gerbera sp. Gerbera Daisy
Hedera sp. Common English Ivy - Poison Information
Philodendron sp. Heart leaf philodendron -Poison Information
Spathiphyllum sp. Mauna Loa"

http://www.blankees.com/house/plants/poisonous.htm
deleted_user
deleted_user

Great post Jams - some people are also allergic to pet dander / mites etc in the same way they are allergic to dust mite and pollen.

In all things it really is doing and enjoying what we can as individuals and include things that enhance our lives.

Hopefully Sass no animals or children are left alone upsupervised when inside the house or in the garden if they contain plants that are toxic like foxglove (digitalis) and even the spider plant if ingested.

Lettuce contains opiates as in the opium poppy - it is the opiates in lettuce that help our mood - this is where food and plants can be both our medicine and nourishment and if inappropriately used become our ills and toxins.

Here are a couple of links re plant health and safety.

http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/ento/PLANT.HTM#index
http://www.weim.net/twn/Health/Plants/poisonous_plants.htm

I always find if I go to a city where trees are few and far between the breathing is more difficult and air is inferior in comparison to a city where trees are abundant.

I find my lungs much more sensitive to air quality and could tell many a story about plants / trees and good breathing or not.

Have a wonderful easy breathing day and enjoy the plants that suit your own personally needs or not - for this will be the right and helpful one that is good for you!

:O)
deleted_user
deleted_user

Thanks Jams about the poison part of it you may have saved Karlies life she is a chewer and has to taste everything . Thats why she has more toys then some children and yes she plays with all of them .
deleted_user
deleted_user

I expect you can find a lot more information but just thought I would share a couple more sites with you as these 'suggest' a list of Non-Toxic Houseplants.

Interestingly the spider plant is considered on these site as non toxic whereas the futurehome blog link above suggests it is when ingested. (Brian's page offers a suggestion why this is)

Non Toxic Houseplant Links:
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art40835.asp

and here too:
http://www.briansgarden.com/2000/11/non-toxic-houseplants.html

There is a lot of information available for those who with to research more.

Have a Great Day and Enjoy your plants :O)