Colon Cancer Support Group

Colorectal cancer, also called colon cancer or bowel cancer, includes cancerous growths in the colon, rectum and appendix. Many colorectal cancers are thought to arise from mushroom-like growths that are usually benign, but some may develop into cancer over time. The majority of the time, the diagnosis of localized colon cancer is through colonoscopy.

0 Online

Newly Diagosed Sigmoid Colon Cancer

I just found out that I have Colon Cancer in my sigmoid. The tumor was so large, I had to stay on soft food after the colonscopy and they got me into surgery right away. I had a Robotic assisted Sigmoidectemy and the tumor was fully removed and they did a colon ressection. After testing 22 lymph nodes they found 7 had cancer in them. The oncologist said this moves me to a Stage 3b and I will need to do chemotherapy. I am positive yet emoitional. I have great faith and strength in my heavenly father and I am a powerful positive person. I am actually a motivational speaker and am currently writing a book about overcoming as I have been athrough so much in my life. I told my publisher, I didn't need these chapter but perhaps I did. I have great empathy for all the rest of the things I have gone through inlife and now I will have empathy for cancer patients and survivors as well as their families. 

I just had my surgery 11/1/2016 and jsut got home 11/5/2016. They said I healed very fast and was very strong to walk so fast and do so much after surgery. All the hospital staff said I was very brave and very strong. They knew I would beat this. I know I will too. However, that doesn't mean I am not human. I know I need a support group and to remain connected to others online and to my family via the phone and cards etc. I am a social person so this is not only essential for me, but quite healing and cathartic. 

I have 5 small sutures where the robot assited and then they cut into my old c-sectiona dn sired up my tummy to remove the tumor. I feel like shark bitten or like I got shanked for my wallet, but I know I will heal. It all just takes time. All of November will be devoted to walking, eating right and healing.  Maybe still into December. 

At least the oncologist said he would like to allow me to have my holidays pleasant and we will meet to discuss treatment. Then I will know more but for now, all I know is he said I will have chemo starting Janurary and it will go approx 6 months. 

I guess if anything I am trying to heal but it kinda seems futile. I am getting better to just be sick again. But then that will make me better again. It is hard to stay positive about that but I am fighting everyday to do so.

I beleive in being fabulous. That is my mantra #BeFabulous and I always say "When givent eh option of being fabulous, why would you choose anything else?" Now I am working to live up to that. I have a choice here. I choose fabulous. It is hard and some days I find myeslf crying over a cup or a song or literally nothing at all. But then, the moment is passed and I gather my strength and sut myself off and say "I am ok. I can do this. I got this!" 

I am glad this site is here. Please join and lets allhelp eahc other through this.

Replies

yorman1
yorman1

Hello tat.....My large tumor was also located in the Sigmoid....I was diagnosed with stage 3 A 1 having had I lymph node out of 18 removed found to be bad. This resulted in my Oncologist suggesting a port and a heavy duty cocktail of various drugs. At my age I gave it an awful lot of thought, I prayed and asked God for guidance. I decided to forego any further treatment and enjoy what time I had left, I thankfully have lived a full life and I really have no regrets. However my two boys who are now men with families of their own and I have 5 grandchildren, felt I was being selfish. Several days later I received a call from my Oncologist, advising me that after discussing my case, it was determined that I was a candidate for an oral chemo.. It is called Xeloda.. I was to take four 500mg pills every am and an additional four pills in the pm daily for two weeks and 1 week off and then resume the procedure for a 6 month period. I opted for this, and followed the program, in addition I drank 8 to 10 12oz glasses of liquid daily(mostly water) to continually flush the toxins from my body. My diet consisted mostly of fresh fruit and vegetables with small portions of either chicken or fish I also enjoyed granola and roasted walnuts as a treat. My surgery took place on the 28th of December 2012......My treatment began in February and continued for 6 months. Side affects yes I did have neuropathy on the bottoms of my feet and the palms of my hand. I used a good body lotion daily on both my hands and feet, the condition did not prevent me from doing just about all I wanted. I did find myself very tired, but took naps and it gave me the energy that I needed to get through the rest of the day. Being Christian and placing Jesus in my life many years ago, certainly afforded me the peace of mind that I have had. My daily meditation, and prayer is the key to my present good health. I now go for a colonoscopy every 3 years, my CT^ scans are done annually, my blood work is done twice annually. I continue to be thankful for the favorable results and I make myself available to all that may have fears and questions. Ron
leee
leee

Hi ! What Chemo meds will you be on for the 6 months? Pills twice a day x 14days the off one week with one infusion every third week or just the pills? I am starting soon ad very anxious about the side effects...would love to connect with someone to see how he/she/they are managing the side effects!
yorman1
yorman1

Leee, my question is did you have the surgery already? If so did they do a biopsy? If if so what stage are you? Did they tell you you would be taking the pills or are you assuming this? If you want to friend me I will certainly give you info that I have. Hope to hear from you.
sharon64
sharon64

Hi Trishatrixie, I am just one treatment away from being done with my chemo, I'd be glad to answer any questions you have, if I can. once my treatment is done I will be having surgery to reconnect my colon as I have an ileostomy. praying for strength for you! you can do it! :)
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • Lukie1946

WEEK 3 GAMES

Here we go into Week 3 already and the race for the Trophy is already heating up.  Please pay attention to the schedule as there is one game being played in London at 9:30 am for those who wait till 11am or noon to pick games on Sunday.  Best of luck to all and keep picking winners....THURSDAY, Sept 21, 8:30PMLOS ANGELES RAMS (1-1) @ SAN FRANCISCO 49ers (0-2)  (maybe the Niners can fill some...
  • attester

Week Two Results

Week two was terrific as everyone picked at least half of them right. We're getting quite good at this.Wish to congratulate yorman1 as he wins for the second consecutive week and Chris1981 who both picked 13 correct.  This is superb!  What a great start to the season yorman1. Also a fantastic high five to our runner-uppers with 12 correct: Lesa, Lukie1946, LuvMyTitans and GramyBear.Everyone is...