Cirrhosis Support Group

Cirrhosis is a consequence of chronic liver disease, most commonly caused by alcoholism and hepatitis C. Ascites is the most common complication of cirrhosis and is associated with a poor quality of life, increased risk of infections, and a poor long term outcome. Liver damage from cirrhosis cannot be reversed, but treatment can stop or delay further progression and reduce complications.

0 Online
0 Online

Legs hurt so bad at night I can't stand it

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to alleviate the pain in my legs at night. It keeps me awake to where I have to get up and take a bath, that only temporarily helps. Please give me some help so I can sleep. The pain in both legs is awful.

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

pain like in cramps?
deleted_user
deleted_user

They just ache all the time. I get cramps in my lower abdomen, but my legs are more of a constant ache and pain
deleted_user
deleted_user

If it were cramps, I would recommend to make sure you keep hydrated and check your potassium intake. Other kinds of pain in the leg, I really do not know what to say.
ChelseyAnn
ChelseyAnn

I get those pains too and it's really quite bothersome. Sometimes I have to get up and stretch. The only thing I've found that works even a little is sleeping with my legs elevated, flat on my back, but then a cat always jumps on my stomach and that causes a whole new flood of pain....win some lose some, eh? :) Hope this helps a little.
deleted_user
deleted_user

i am sorry for you pain. I would strongly suggest having your heart checked out. MY husband had severe pain in one leg for a lengthy spell and ended up having a quad bi pass, the pain went away.

I have pain , but more like needles in my legs and they get jumpy , turned out to be restless leg syndrome and a little pill has taken that away.

I am not sure as to what degree of pain you are expressing but , those are two suggestions, and I would strongly recommend the first. Good luck to you,
deleted_user
deleted_user

Have you asked your doctor about this? Some people who suffer with cirrhosis have a terrible time sleeping and your condition isn't helping matters. When you ask your doctor,don't let them tell you,"it just goes with cirrhosis",make them diagonosis it and make them give you something to help you. Sleepless nights must be terrible to deal with.Hope you can find some relief soon. Try reply #4. At least it is a start.
3rdCoastGirl
3rdCoastGirl

Hi, Mitch. I've been lurking on this site for months since my husband of 25 years was diagnosed this summer with ESLD from HepC. Finally, something I can share, but before I start, I just gotta say I appreciate all of the information I've read here and especially love Craig's intelligence and humor.
Now for our experience. Hubby used to take OTC product from Hylands for leg cramps with quinine way before the cirrhosis. Since then, the cramps have worsened in his legs. His hep/gastro doc has prescribed Qualaquin, with his comment being not to be used every day. (Plus the insurance won't cover it, so it's too expensive to do that anyway!)
In the past, if he felt slight cramps coming on, sometimes a glass of water and a banana for the potassium would do the trick. Anyway, check with your doctor for the best advice for you, and hang in there.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I seem to remember some prior posts about leg cramps and having a glass of tonic water (contains Quinine) with a banana.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Chuck has been having terrible cramps in stomach and legs. Last week they gave him a rx for qualaqin 324mg. Don't know if I like it but after 2 nights it has helped. His MELD was only a 13 but potassium was high.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Use to have them for a few years, have gained some control by changing diet & have slowed way down on the meds . Are your legs discolored purple or year round tan. It's a form of vasculitis caused by a protein that the liver produces. (cryoglobulinemia) typical in most HCV patients.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I'm stage 4 cirrhosis.. I have the leg acking too.. and like you I get in a tub of hot water to get a little relief...since I have been taking Darvon for pain my leg's aren't as bad as they were...they still hurt and I have the bad ass days and all.. but over all I can deal with this better... I wish you luck and if I find anything else that will work I'll let ya know..xoxox Janet
deleted_user
deleted_user

hey mitch, i go through the same thing. first it was mt feet had that feeling of "drawing up" i dont have that as much but the ache in my legs has replaced it. your right about the hot bath, it does help.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Ask your Doctor about gabapentin. I gave a couple to Mitch about a week ago, doesn't have the leg pains at night, and sleeps great. They are not narcotics, which he is relieved about. He takes 600mg at night. I take them for neuropathy.

Pam
deleted_user
deleted_user

Doctor prescribed potassium for my husband. He would get leg cramps all of the time and it was very painful he'd wake me up at night to massage his legs. Drink water and eat bananna daily. Do consult with your doctor about supplimenting your diet.