Cirrhosis Support Group

Cirrhosis is a consequence of chronic liver disease, most commonly caused by alcoholism and hepatitis C. Ascites is the most common complication of cirrhosis and is associated with a poor quality of life, increased risk of infections, and a poor long term outcome. Liver damage from cirrhosis cannot be reversed, but treatment can stop or delay further progression and reduce complications.

0 Online
0 Online

Leg cramps , feet cramps

Is it fibro or cirrhosis, AAOS said cirrhosis causes leg cramps and feet cramps, Anyone else have them

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

At times yes. I would suggest drinking more water and also drinking tonic water see if that helps.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Oh God yes I have cramps really bad in leg's feet calves and hands :( Lately it has been reall bad and my legs are sore for a few days AFTER they stop !!! It's strange cuz when my fingers cramp they get all twisted in wierd shape and my fingers point in all directions !!!! What do you do for yours if anything???? I sure wish there was something to do for it but ru=ight now I just ride them out and roll around on the bed and or floor till it stops !!!!...your the first person that has posted this other then when I did in my journal weeks ago... I don't know of anyone else that has cramps like this!!!!Janet
deleted_user
deleted_user

I also have cirrhosis...don't know if it's related or not tho !!! Do you???...Janet
deleted_user
deleted_user

I had leg cramps and feet. Sometimes do bad I would have to get out of bed and walk a short bit to get them to stop at night. I have cirrhosis. I thought it was that but being on duiretics put my sodium to low and when I was taken off because the sodium low level they said that could have caused the cramps. Definetly a lot of water helps. Could be a deficiency in potassium, calcium, magnessium or vit. B6. I have read a good sports drink which has sodium and postassium it it is helpful.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi DDntn

I normally get them at night after a walk with the dog Sometimes Gaterade helps, Electrolites sometimes I too have to walk it off
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have had liver disease since 1983 slowly getting worse. I have very little muscle structure left so any repeated activity causes my legs, arms, feet, hands to cramp my fingers will distort and lock up holding a fork. I also have to take tons of dieretics as I have ascidies. If I don't drink enough water the same thing happens and remember that if you drink caffine you actually need to drink twice as much water. Gotorade, V-8 are also good but with liver disease we must watch salt intake. Hope this helps or at least you know you're not alone.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Thanks, I just drink water, I use to dring just water and milk, but staying away from dairy now, since liver is inflamed. Have a good week everyone and thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I get them but I think mine are caused by nerve damage in my back.
I have degenerating discs as well s cirrhosis and other problems.
This isn't the first time I read about muscles wasting away... does cirrhosis cause that or is it because you feel too bad for any exercize?
deleted_user
deleted_user

i have had leg and feet cramps for a few years , i am up now at 1 am [uk time] cos of them, i did not know it was cirihosis related, i have bad fibrosis but not diagnosed a cirrotic yet,
deleted_user
deleted_user

i have had leg and feet cramps for a few years , i am up now at 1 am [uk time] cos of them, i did not know it was cirihosis related, i have bad fibrosis but not diagnosed a cirrotic yet,
deleted_user
deleted_user

My dh, who has cirrhosis, gets them a lot. He also has rheumatoid arthritis in both knees, but the cramps are in his calves & feet and happen more often when he's asleep. Never thought about that being related to the cirrhosis, but it seems like everything else is. He hasn't tried taking anything for cramps. What should he try?

Anna
deleted_user
deleted_user

oh my goodness i did'nt think this many had the cramp problems, my hands and bottom part of legs do but the most painful is my feet and toes I get them so bad that I have bruises afterwards almost everyday just had a cbc and levels of potassium, sodium and stuff are okay , I have cryoglobuliemia with the Hepc that has turned to Stage 4 being cirrhosis I do drink plenty of water so I just deal with it, so painful at times!!! Thanks for listening,, BlueEyed
deleted_user
deleted_user

Yes, I have leg cramps alot. (We call them Charlie Horses.) As for my feet, they hurt all of the time. After I wake up in the morning, they feel like they are about to break off. Also, up & down my legs, there is like a burning sensation. Has anyone experienced this?
deleted_user
deleted_user

Yes I do, I elevate my legs with pillows. The soda water has just enough quinine in it and is safe. I use that if needed.
I do not have cirrhosis but the weakened liver will play havoc on many week body parts.
My legs needed muscle mass, I had lost soooo much weight and my muscle went with the fat.
So I have been step-excerising and then right after drinking 'Whey Protein' for the past 2 years and it is so much better.
Lyndy
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have leg and hand cramps. they are awful. tonic water and potassium pills help.i have alot of trouble with the keybord because my hands twitch.kind of like in parkinsons disease.does anyone else have this problem.