Chronic Pain Support Group

Physicians and professionalsdefine pain as chronic if it lasts longer than three to six months and is persistent. It's distinct from acute pain that is a direct result of injury or trauma. This support group is dedicated to those suffering from chronic pain. Discuss treatments that have worked for you, find advice for your specific experience, and find support. You're not alone in your pain.

3 Online

unresolved chronic pain

Hi, so I'm new to this. It's kind of a last resort. I've been in pain for the past year. 24/7 widespread pain. I've been to doctors, rheumatologists, physios, had accupunture, massages and have been on numerous medications and nothing seems to numb it!! I really can't stand being in this much pain any longer. I'm 21 years old and I've been told so many times that I'm just going to have to learn how to cope with the pain. It's getting to the point now where I can't stand it anymore. I have such bad back/ neck pain, it gives me headaches, my muscles are constantly burning/ aching and sending sharp pains all over my body, I cant sleep properly, im so depressed, and sometimes even my skin is too painfull to touch. The past month I've had three family members pass away and I lost a close frind of mine and I'm about to sit my finals this month. I'm just wondering whether anyone at all has any advice on helping with this stress and pain!? 

Replies

OlderCPer
OlderCPer

Hi, welcome. You mention seeing many Dr.'s but you don't mention a Diagnosis. Have you gotten a Diagnosis? I'll be honest with you, it can take time to figure out what's causing some symptoms, pain, etc. I've been in Pain Management for 31 years, since I was 17. My diseases are Diagnosed and treated. The goal of a Pain Management program is to "manage pain" at a point where you can continue to do your daily life and all the things in it. Pain Management is not about stopping pain....in Chronic Pain situations it's almost impossible to stop pain completely. Having a Diagnosis makes it easier to treat you effectively, so you really need to stay on the Dr.'s until they tell you what the hell is going on with your body.

You also have a lot of Psychological trauma and pain going on. Loss and grief can manifest themselves in physical pain and they can make your physical pain worse. I am not saying that this is all in your head, or anything like that. Its just the bodies psychological system working against the bodies physical system.

One thing to do is to keep a pain diary, each day write down when your pain starts, when its worse, what makes it worse, what makes it better, what makes it stop. Having this kind of information over a long period of time can be very helpful to a Dr. when trying to figure what is causing the pain.

As for the Psychological pain, that takes time, grief is a process and you have to let yourself process it. You can't try and rush through it so you'll feel better, in the end that would make things worse. You need to let yourself grieve the loss of your family members, you need to process those feelings and not bottle them up inside. If you feel like its overwhelming, or it just doesn't seem to get any better, you might try talking to a Therapist so that you can work through the grief and get some closure.

For stress, deep breathing exercises are helpful, also going inside your mind to a place you hold special, a memory of a vacation, a favorite place as a child, etc. when you sit quietly and let yourself relax, you close your eyes and go back to the place in your mind. Remember how happy you were there, remember the experiences you had. Journaling is also a good remedy for stress and emotion overload. Many times our minds just get so cluttered with all that we carry throughout our days, it becomes too much. Writing all of it down on paper and getting those stressful, angry, hurt, scared, sad emotions onto paper can help you be less stressed and think clearer.

My favorite standby is a scalding hot soak in the jacuzzi tub, with Lavender Oil, candle light only and a strong cup of Earl Grey. Just giving yourself a time to relax and be at peace can sometimes help.

Take care,
Kat
3littlebears
3littlebears

Have you been to the fibromyalgia support group here on daily strength? They have a daily check-in and active discussions. You would have a lot in common with the group. Stressors like losing family, etc. can make fibromyalgia symptoms worse. hope this helps..... the group is very supportive....
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • karaaaa.03

friends

so i have this guy friend. he’s my best friend, and he says i’m one of his. he used to tell me that i was his best friend. his previous crush, one of my friends, has gotten closer to him and he calls her his best friend. it breaks my heart. he acts like my best friend over texting, but he literally acts like i don’t exist in public. i’ve hung out at his house a few times. i do like him...
  • Mypigjava

Needs to stop

I'm not doing well lately... I think I could cope with the depression if it was just depression but the suicidal thinking really makes it hard to cope with. Suicidality and self harm is really making it difficult. I want to step up my journaling with some really good insights, like good questions to ask myself but I can't think of any...