Chronic Pain Support Group

Physicians and professionalsdefine pain as chronic if it lasts longer than three to six months and is persistent. It's distinct from acute pain that is a direct result of injury or trauma. This support group is dedicated to those suffering from chronic pain. Discuss treatments that have worked for you, find advice for your specific experience, and find support. You're not alone in your pain.

2 Online

Struggling with PT

I began PT about two weeks ago and things have gone steadily downhill since. I'm doing all the stretches three times a day as suggested. By the end of my first set of exercises, my pain begins to spike. After the second round, I'm barely able to walk for the rest of the day. I do my third round in bed, then toss and turn for hours trying to get comfortable. Sleep seems like a distant memory. I understand that PT is supposed to come with some achiness, but this doesn't feel like normal muscle or stretching pain. It feels like I'm damaging myself.

I've communicated this to the PT Assistants I work with, but don't get a chance to talk to the actual physical therapist until my discharge appointment in 4 weeks. I'm getting incredibly frustrated. I've been called "non-compliant" in previous medical records, so I don't want to discontinue the exercises that I'm prescribed, but lately it's at the expense of being able to get into the bathtub or put on my own socks.

Insanity is trying the same treatments again and again and expecting different results. I'm a hopeless case. These challenges seem insurmountable. I'm never going to find relief, and I no longer have any quality of life.

Replies

hippyone
hippyone

A few thoughts. I wonder if the "PT assistants" are actually interns. If so they should only be getting you started and then the Therapist enters the picture.

I have been told by my surgeon and my primary if it hurts don't do it. There was one case it made sense for me to hurt while doing the exercise and that was with a broken wrist. My wrist had been totally stabilized for 6 weeks. It was healed but needed to be worked. Jeez what pain the first few times. We moved a little slower and it got better. Imagine that is what happens with knee replacement only lots more pain.

Back to you......lighten it up. Maybe do it twice as day two times a week and see if that helps. Maybe some soothing music with the promise of a shower or soak after.

Sending good thoughts to you and healing wishes.
hippy
OlderCPer
OlderCPer

Hey Megan, yes PT is always tough, but it shouldn't be causing you so much pain its incapacitating you. I'd slow up on the amount of reps your doing, maybe cut them in 1/2 until you see your Physical Therapist and can talk to him about whats going on. Have they suggested any kind of Pool Therapy for you? Its so much easier when your in that weightless environment and you're doing the same good work for your muscles, etc.
MeganElaine
MeganElaine

I appreciate the positive vibes. I reduced my reps/sets today, but can't say I noticed much difference. I know I'm not with interns, as I've been working with the same PTAs on and off for 10 years. I have an appointment tomorrow morning, and will see if I can talk to the actual PT.

Kat, I did pool therapy when I was in undergrad, and it was somewhat helpful. Unfortunately it's no longer available locally. I keep hearing you in my ear, figuratively, as I'm dealing with all this crap... I need to be somewhere I can get the help I need. My initial plan was to get my professional license before moving away from my home town, but I'm getting so desperate from lack of pain management that I'm re-examining my timeline. Staying put is becoming impossible.
PainSurvivor
PainSurvivor

You might be over-stretching. It is very important to move into a stretch slowly and while really paying attention and to only go to the point where you feel a slight pull, not pain. Otherwise you risk setting of muscle spasms and possibly creating more injury.
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • poesypop

Seroquel = sleeping beauty

I've been on 300mg of Seroquel for about a week now, and I have the worst hangovers in the morning if I sleep any less than 12-14 hours. Today after 9 hours of sleep I feel like I've pulled on all-nighter, sick, exhausted, barely can keep my eyes open at work. I've tried taking it earlier in the evening, but after about an hour or so I can barely walk and NEED BED. Should I talk to my doctor...
  • lovelilbeany

New meds side effects

4 months ago i finally came totally of my lamotrigine/ lactmal. It took me 6 months to slowly get off safely. Anyway 4 months on im needing to go back on. They have started me on 50mg for a week and increasing it up 50mg each week till at the dose i need. (Aiming for 300mg) I never had side effects first time i started this drug 3 years ago but this time im having headache, tummy ache and...