Bipolar Disorder Support Group

Bipolar disorder is not just a single disorder, but a category of mood disorders marked by periods of abnormally high energy and euphoria, often accompanied by bouts of clinical depression. This is the place to talk about your experience with bipolar disorder, learn from others' experiences, and find support.

2 Online
2 Online

Lamictal and Sexual Side Effects

Has anyone experienced a loss of sex drive and extreem tiredness? My husband is on 200mg. He is feeling much better and has very few mood swings, but now he has not desire at all.

Replies

cb72
cb72

I have no problems on 200mg Lamictal. But I'm a woman. I am tired, but that's because of Seroquel.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Yeah, it's an issue. My husband asked me the other day, "Are you EVER going to want sex again?"

- Jo
deleted_user
deleted_user

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't me. He is fine during the day but man when his head hits the pillow, he is out like the light!
With 2 kids, it is hard to be spontaneous!
The Lamictal package insert states no sexual side effects. I guess they haven't tried it! LOL
deleted_user
deleted_user

I'm on Lamictol 200mg.

I can say that it has deninished my NEED for sex, but not my drive.

I used to get depressed and all bent out of shape if I didnt get some at least every 2 days.

Since taking ma pills I noticed that its lapsing 5-6 days before I think about it.

I think it depends on what kinda lover you are to begin with.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Thanks for the help-
deleted_user
deleted_user

i was on 300 and 450 mg of Lamictal for 5 years. I only thought about sex maybe every other moment instead of every moment.

the problem is when i was on lamictal, my wife lost her sex drive.

i'm planning on journaling about this, but one thing that i found with Lamictal is that it made me stupid, and it wasn't until i stopped taking it that i realized how much it had affected my ability to think deeply and clearly and express myself accurately.

Of course, Prozac is also supposed to decrease my libido (the anti-depressant in symbyax) but instead it made me into a horn dog.
deleted_user
deleted_user

No probs with me at all...
deleted_user
deleted_user

I do not and never did have any sexual problems on Lamictal. I must comment on pbb's reply...Is that why I can not remember or think straight. Thought I was getting dementia but I am to scared to quit it.
cheldear
cheldear

Wow, I thought it was the cymbalta. I guess it's the Lamictal. But I am used to it on any meds. I guess it's good that I have no one to have sex with.
deleted_user
deleted_user

No problems from this med at all.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have had no problems with decrease in sex drive on this drug. I do have problems with concentration and articulation. One pdoc I saw in the hospital attributed this to Lamictal, but I would rather be a little slow than not take it.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I was on it for about a year with zoloft. My sex drive went to zilch. i didnt want it all compared to how i felt when i was off the meds. See if maybe the doc can lower it or try something else like lithium which hasnt changed my sex drive at all
deleted_user
deleted_user

I am on Lithium and Lamictal and have no sexual side effects at all.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Actually no. I am female and on 300mgs currently.
dobiedots
dobiedots

I'm extremely tired most of the time. I never thought of Lamictal being the culprit. I'll have to research this a bit more.
Sex drive? Nope, no effect on that.