Bell's Palsy Support Group

Bell's palsy (facial palsy) is characterised by facial drooping on the affected half, due to malfunction of the facial nerve, which controls the muscles of the face. Bell's palsy is the most common cause of acute facial nerve paralysis and affects about 40,000 people in the United States every year. Additional symptoms that may accompany the condition are pain around the ear and loss of taste.

0 Online
0 Online

Pain and twitches.

Did any of you get pain in the temple, back of the ear, in the ear and sometimes like it extended to the face. I just was making sure that it is normal. And also, my lip was twitching a small amount on the top. Also right below my eyebrow was twitching and the muscle on my chin was pulling. Is this good signs? Thank you for any advice!

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

I haven't had the pain in the temple, but the back of the ear is a definite yes. I have been having twitches all over the left side, the effected side. I hope these are good signs...althought, I hate the eyelid twitches...especially when I'm trying to get to sleep.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Yes all through my bells palsy years I have severe pain in the temple. Ended with migraines for 3 months straight. Back of the ears were burning sensations every now and again and ended up painful with a severe migraine. My friend that is a chinese herbalist says that twitching is good. What it suppose to mean is that the blood is trying to flow and strengthen up muscles. I have bp for 12 years and have twitches and pains all the time. If you had it only for short time you will have chance to recover in no time. Accupuncture is extremely good because of blood circulation. Don't stress at all try stay relaxed, plenty of sleep (pretty hard when have kids) and chinese herbs that you can drink tastes awful but works. He says that he's treated many people with bp and they recovered pretty good. In my case started to late and my case reoccured to many times. Good luck with yours and get onto it straight away.
deleted_user
deleted_user

so I have been told you get bels paulsey one of 2 ways 1st a virus, 2nd a defective vein in the back of the head that runs by the ear that either colapses or cloggs, and yes it hurts lest mine did
deleted_user
deleted_user

Pain behind ear and some across the temple, it seemed that I had twitching in areas as the nerve came back to working, it seemed for me it would twitch for a while then the muscle would work fine again. For a few weeks I had inner ear pain put it went away.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Forgot to add, there is no "this is normal" to Bells Palsy, seems everyone has a differant time with it. some people take years to see improvement while others see it in a few months.
deleted_user
deleted_user

they say a head/face injury can be a facture in getting it, I did a face plant into the ground off my bike then got exposed to chicken pox the week before mine started. they don't know if thats what caused it or not.
Sorry about the 3 part post.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I had a series of MRI's. At first they thought I had the beginnings of a neuroma. It appears that it was just an inflamed nerve.

Unless a lot has been learned lately, nobody really knows what causes bells palsy.

I just know it sucks
deleted_user
deleted_user

ive just recently been diagnosed with bp and at first i couldn't feel nething on the right side which was my affected side now the numbing has gone away but hte pain has only gotten worse as its now down my neck and i get horrible migraines...is this normal?
deleted_user
deleted_user

I started with my left side of my face my lip was slightly lower and had a metal taste in my mouth, Felt like a coating was on my tongue. Went to doctor. still had movement in forehead. then the next day WHOLE left side was done. no movement. The worst Ear ache and pain behind the ear. can't remember headache.
I would think it you have twiches that is a good sign. at least the nerve is working, when I see improvement a little before I will feel twitches. good luck.
deleted_user
deleted_user

i have had b.p for 1 week. I have had alot of twiching in the eye and mouth area. and how fun is trying to drive with 1 watering eye. it sucks. so does anyone think the twitching is a good sign? I would love some advice on some home treatments i could do. serioulsy, how long does this thing last? laurlaur
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi Guys I was diagnosed with BP on friday I'm still coming to terms with it.. same symtoms as everyone else The worst thing I have felt are the mirgrain headaches. The left side of my face is effected, I have had twitches all over the left side of my face I don't know if this is good or bad but I figure it must be that the nerve is still fighting! I'm on strong dose of drugs at the moment which has nocked me around with mood swings and so on. Hugs to all BP sufferers. God Bless
davysmom
davysmom

I was diagnosed with B.P. 6/27, it was the
scariest day of my life, I was at work and
thought I was having a stroke, I literally
saw my smile go crooked ! I went to the er
I have taken the meds and now I am just waiting
on my lost smile to return, I promise here and
now I will never, ever take my smile for granted again, chubby face or not ! I just have a question though, I am feeling new movement in my check, I could actually see the muscle move, this is good ? I hope so, this has been the hardest and strangest week of my life so far ! I totally am in agreement about the pain behind the ear and stuff though, I have been experiencing that as well and I am
ready to seek more medical advise to make sure nothing else is wrong ! Hugs and remember the hardest thing to do is keep smiling on the inside when all you want is th smile to come shining through. The funnest thing is I never
noticed how often I smiled at strangers in the store etc. until I could not longer do it !
deleted_user
deleted_user

I was diagnosed on 6/25. I am now on day 10 and I have regained about 1/2 of my smile back. My eyebrow now raises when I lift it...and I can partially blink my eye. I too had the twiching. I am all stuffy and congested too. I wonder if that has something to do with the BP.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I had BP when I was around 19. It started with my lip twitching when i was putting on my lipstick. It came on within the evening. I was very scared and felt like I would never recover. I didn't want to work or for people to see me.

It lasted for about two months. Eventually i noticed a little more twitching on my lip and eye, and it very slolwy. It came back fully.. no signs, really. However, I notice that in photos one of my eyes looks smaller then the other.

You will get through this.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Yup, I had those exact behind-the-ear/temple pains.