Bell's Palsy Support Group

Bell's palsy (facial palsy) is characterised by facial drooping on the affected half, due to malfunction of the facial nerve, which controls the muscles of the face. Bell's palsy is the most common cause of acute facial nerve paralysis and affects about 40,000 people in the United States every year. Additional symptoms that may accompany the condition are pain around the ear and loss of taste.

0 Online
0 Online

2nd time getting Bells Palsy

Hi everyone,My name is Patricia, I'm 16 years old and this is my second time getting Bells Palsy.I got it last year too. I don't know whether I should stay at home or go to school.I'm scared I'll be made fun of but I also don't want to go because my eye hurts so much especially when it's cold, it dries out quickly. How long should I stay home for?

Replies

Community Leadermideyebrow
mideyebrow

I'd go to school, use saline eye drops to keep the eye moist.

Best wishes in healing.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I wish I knew. I got it once, four years ago. So scared it will come back, I feel your pain. It was really embarassing, when my face got paralized, and my eye had to be taped shit. Thankfully mine went away in a month, but it was a rough month. Still having aphasia to this day, my words get mixed up.

Doctor said I might have had a mini stroke along with it, to explain the aphasia. Thank you.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Please excuse my typo, I meant to say when my eye had to be taped SHUT, not the other word. So sorry, I never curse, but do type pretty bad. Sorry for the mistake. Taped my eye Shut.

I wish you the best of luck. I hear it can go away faster second time around. Wishing you a quick recovery.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Im actually the same im also 16 and have it again i had it 5 years ago but it came back and i remember years ago my school let me bring the work home and do it maybe get your parents to call the school and explain the situation.