Back Pain Support Group

Back pain is one of the most common reasons people seek medical care. In fact, about 3 in 4 adults will experience back pain during their lifetime! The term back pain includes pain affecting the neck, midback and low back. Acute back pain may begin suddenly with intense pain but typically lasts fewer than three months. Usually, chronic back pain is persistent, steady, and ongoing.

1 Online
1 Online

pain 4 years after surgery (fusion)

I had back surgery in June of 2007 fusion and a laminectomy I have rods and screws L5-S1 and 75% of the disc gone at the L4-L5 I have been on pain meds since the surgery I was told to expect that due to the fact that I did a number on my back (I work 10-11 hrs a day) but in the past 2 months the pain has gotten severe again and is worse then before surgery I can be walking and my legs will go out mostly the left leg I cant bend over at my waist when I do I lose feeling in both legs and cant feel my toes I had an MRI on Friday but wont know results till monday just wondering if anyone else has had this what was done to take care of it thanks

Replies

janiecf
janiecf

I had fusion about 6 years ago and still have the pain and it has spread to my hips. I tell friends it fixes the problem ( discs gone or blown etc), but not the pain. H have been on pain meds and relaxers since. I was getting 40 pills vicoden every six months, so I used then wisely. Not the Dr won't refill it and I am not sure why. I did not abuse them and over the counter does not work on bad days.
Try trigger point injections they helped me
Good luck and we are all her for you,
Janie
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have had all the pt 6 injections i have a tens unit im on muscle relaxers nsaids which i cant take the mscle relaxers at work on pain meds i take 3 times a day and i can tell when they are wearing off they help calm it but dont help the lose of the legs and i can be just sitting there doing nothing and my legs will start spasing and jumping thanks for the advice
janiecf
janiecf

hi again
I have a tens unit too, but forget to us it.
I work at home so that is good. Sitting too long I feel it in the leg and hips. But I know you can't take any of the meds at wor out side the home, how people do that I don't know.
I now have a 15 month (tomorrow) grandson and at 20 lbs, I am going to have to stop lifting him up, makes me sad.
J
deleted_user
deleted_user

I know that feeling I have 8 grandkids and they love to climp on me and have me pick them up and since my back has gotten worse im on a 5lb weight limit and i hate not being able to pick them up 1 of my grand daughters was born on my birthday and she is 19 mths old and loves to be held and cuddled and i cant pick her up just breaks my heart she dont understand why i cant but she is still all smiles for me
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi ~ I hate to tell you this but this kind of thing happens frequently after fusion surgery. The levels above/below the surgery site fail - they either bulge or herniate because they have had to take up much of the load. They've had to work harder. This happens almost all the time after fusions -- and even after regular spinal surgery. I had 2 open surgeries on L3-4 & L4-5 and now my spine is a total wreck. They tell me now that I'm inoperable - there's no more fix to me especially siince I have osteoporosis.

I would imagine you have at least one herniation -- My advice is DO NOT let them operate again. If you do, you will continue to have more and more herniations.
You would be better off by going into physical therapy and pain management to manage the pain. Surgery does NOT help pain anyway -- most of the time you're left with the same pain if not worse. If you do get pain relief, you're just lucky, but most people end up with the same pain. Surgery is just to fix mechanical problems. So go to pain management and hopefully there they also have physical therapy. That should do you just as much good as surgery. Best of luck and God bless. Hugs, Lee
Rosetaz
Rosetaz

Well, hopefully you've not had any of your hardware break or pull loose. Would take surgery to repair that.

Definitely if any nerves or your spinal cord is being compressed you want to prevent permanent damage. Surgery would be needed.

I can only imagine that nerves are involved and I hope you can get some relief .

Surgery is one thing I'm avoiding as long as possible.
janiecf
janiecf

Rosetaz, I had to have mine removed after two year. Yes an other surgery, I had a screw loose. Husband had a good time with that line LOL.
But yes, I am in pain now, but no more surgery, no matter what.
They are looking a my knee now. I just want numbing shots, no surgery!
deleted_user
deleted_user

Well I got my MRI back at it doesnt really show anything it says at L4L% there is diffuse circumferential disc bulge w/ moderate bilateral facet ligamentun flavum hypertrophy whatever that means i just feel like people are going to think im just facking it and im not one to complain and i work really hard at work told all the time they wish they could clone me im just down about it all
janiecf
janiecf

mamaw8n, you aren't faking it. I feel for you and pray u have family support, because medical can be a bit Calais.
deleted_user
deleted_user

mamaw,

I had a 3 level/360 fusion in Nov. of 07, and I am still in intractable pain. I have pain all of the time, and permanent nerve damage that an SCS takes care of (spinal cord stimulator). You need to get a second opinion or find a Neuro that will look at your spine through a Myelogram or Discogram to see if there is something that the MRI missed. Neither one of those tests are very comfortable, but they are worth the try!

Like Leeall saids all of the time, a fusion surgery only fixes the structural damage on the spine, it does not take the pain away, and that is why a lot of us are still in pain years after receiving a fusion. I wish that I had this group before having my fusion, I would have not done it! But now is too late, and now I just have to deal with it.... Take care, and know that we are here for support!
Hugs,
janiecf
janiecf

I agree with you totally Tipper1207!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I read all your inputs and boy I can relate. 5 years in constant pain I was everywhere, Mayo wouldn't fuse me just more shots then more shots, pain management wasn't working for me. I persisted and found a Dr in St Paul that after 6mo of therapy I didn't care what she did to me, just get rid of it. I am aproaching two years from surgery now, its gone. Yea I still have a sore back some of the time but thats it, the real pain down my legs, in the back, hips is gone! I delt with it 5 years and I didn't want to get fused either (L4-5) but I didn't have any other choices I was out of options. My life has changed drasticaly, would I do it again, absolutely. I knew the risks that it would move up to L2-3, I take it a day at a time, Im 54 I hope to have many more years of healthy activity ahead of me. Keep the weight off.......excersise........do yoga and stretch and think positive thought about your low back, it helps me. :)
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have had a mylogam before my fusion yes those hurt but that is what found the problem the first time the dr I work for is going to talk to the neuro who did my surgery and send him my mri and see what he thinks I pulled out a copie of my last mri from 09 and it does not show any problems at the L4 -L5 disk and now it does I go back to the pain dr next thurs for him to look at mri results and to discuss the SCS thanks everyone for all the good advice my outlook on things have been really low feeling like im not working at my job as i should or at home luckly everyone i work with help me cause they know i will be the 1st to help them and my husband is great he is a great support
deleted_user
deleted_user

I just had my fusion june 2010. I wish I'd found this group before,I had surgery but I'd done everything else.before the surgery.and I've done everything I was suppose to after surgery.I still have pain and weird feels in my feet and legs at times.I love how the Dr.s are all great to a point and then they just forget about pain meds or relaxers.and I have to wait until april to see a PCP.Yeah. Grin and bear it. the MRI showed some damage but the discgram showed it better.
deleted_user
deleted_user

my 1st MRI only showed the herniated disk not the ruptured one i had the mylogram and less then1 wk had surgery (the perks of working in a drs ofc) now with whats going on im hoping the neuro dr( same one who did my 1st surgery) sees whats going on by looking at the MRI instead of just the report