Atrial Fibrillation (AFib) Support Group

Atrial fibrillation (AF or afib) is an abnormal heart rhythm (cardiac arrhythmia) which involves the two small, upper heart chambers (the atria). Heart beats in a normal heart begin after electricity generated in the atria by the sinoatrial node spread through the heart and cause contraction of the heart muscle and pumping of blood.

0 Online

Lovenox

I'm getting closer to scheduling the ablation,, but the Lovenox part is freaking me out.
One EP said I can load up Coumidin before but the EP I am choosing says that won't help. I can't bring myself to do the LOvenox thing tho.. Any comments/tips?
Thanks!

Replies

RuthCR
RuthCR

Hi NHNM, I don't know about Lovenox and its effects, but I can say that ablation was an easy procedure. Mind you I was under anaesthetic as the surgeon wanted to to trial various medications in my heart to pick the best after he had completed the ablation for atrial flutter. I hope someone can reassure you about the medication. I know I am very cautious about any new medication and search the Internet to find info and ask my doctor oodles of questions. i wish you well with your procedure. God bless you and I pray for peace for you and success.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Some doctors just like you to take the Lovenox. Mine did not, thankfully. I just took the coumadin.
jodelleknits
jodelleknits

Lovenox, a blood thinner, is used following many surgeries that require blood thinners to prevent clots from forming. They usually give Lovenox and coumadin at the same time until you reach the desired INR level and can sustain it on coumadin only. I gave myself the injections for about a week after my ablation last February. I was not taking coumadin before the ablation, but had to take it for the first three months following the procedure. The injections were not pleasant, but not too bad.

My husband is required to take insulin injections four times a day and so I didn't feel too bad about doing the Lovenox injections for a week. All of the post-op stuff was very worthwhile as I am a-fib free now.

This is all very scary and I sympathize with you. However, living with a-fib can be scary too. I, too, wish you peace and success with your ablation.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi. i had an ablation and spent four days in the hospital getting 2x daily lovenox shots with the oral coumadin , It was the worst part of the whole experiance getting those shots. but what helped was to breathe deeply from the belly and a long exhalation. I find that helped a lot. I hope that helped.
NYNM
NYNM

Thanks folks
I had heard that if you inject it v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y it is OK.
It's frustrating that some EP "insist" (well they can't force you I guess) and others don't. Same as post procedure meds. One said Maltaq in addition to current meds for a few weeks, the other EP said no. But there is an art to medicine, I know, and differences of opinion.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I also had to take it and found for myself if I put cold on the place I was gonna give myself the shot...it helped me alot. I had to do it for a little over a week. I hated it too but it is easier than a-fib.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Just had ablation on Tuesday. I too have to take shots of Lovenox and I take a coumadin as well. My wife gives me the shots. I have to do this twice a day for 5 days. Other than a little burning after the shot, I seem to be tolerating it pretty well. I'm still in the recuperation stage and I'm a little tired. Will post my experience with the surgery under another topic.
NYNM
NYNM

I have one more "Love"nox treatment to go. Do you believe this costs $90 per vial! (OK, $50 total with insurance) and I only had to do it for 3 days. I have a tip - iPod!
I put a nice relaxing tune on, put me headset on, and then do the Lovenox. It's all over before the song is over! This has helped! : )
jodelleknits
jodelleknits

My husband taught me a trick he does when he gives himself insulin injections four times daily. Place the needle very gently on the skin you have cleaned with the disinfecting wipes. Move the needle around ever so slightly until you find a spot where you cannot feel the needle to give yourself the injection. There are apparently spots between nerve endings that do not hurt as much. It worked for me while I was using Lovenox!
NYNM
NYNM

Thanks for the tip! This is what we can do to help each other. Even tho I finished with Lovenox today, I felt tense and naseous before it. Another tip I learned was to push the needle in slowly right thru the skin (rather than jab it like a dart, the way they teach you), and pinch hard. I hardly felt it at all that way, although the medicine itself stung for about a minute. I do feel badly for people who have to do this every day but it isn't really all that bad. 3 out of 10?
NYNM
NYNM

Just got a big fat hematoma from Luvenox. I tried the ice tip somewhere near the site - maybe that effected it? Its going down now, and my MD says its OK, but any of you have this?
deleted_user
deleted_user

Sorry that that happened to you. Don't have any tips I just know that the ice worked for me. Good luck
deleted_user
deleted_user

I hope you've had your ablation by now and all is well. I too had the same experience with Lovenox but found out it's all in how it's injected! Two different RN's tortured me with extremely painful injections (full 5 min in excrutiating pain), then my brother and my niece injected me and I didn't feel anything at all! Now I'm doing it myself. Here's how: pick the spot, use the alcohol rub( also wash hands first). Let the alcohol dry completely. Hold the spot where you will inject it very gently and put the needle in at an angle, very slowly. Don't wiggle it. Depress the plunger and pull out when finished, very slowly. I imagined I was doing it to a baby, and I was soooo gentle. It worked, I can't even feel it.
NYNM
NYNM

Thanks for the belated advice which I know will also help others.
That Lovenox experience is behind me now, it was only 3 days but that's enough. The medical people are so "casual" about it. My MD didn't even tell me but I had read about it, so I knew to ask.

Yes, I found being slow and very gentle made it OK, even tho the idea still creeped me out.

Here's another part of the Lovenox Experience: Of course it was covered by insurance, but my copay (for 6 vials) was $50. I asked the pharmacist how much each one cost, and she said $90 a vial!! (so $560 in my case.
liljohny
liljohny

I've had to use the Lovenox (sp?) twice once when I started on Coumadin when I was first diagnosed with AFIB and again when I had my Ablation procedure a month ago. They're not bad. Its a lot easier to inject into a fatty area (stomach) than it is in muscle in my opinion. I admit though that I don't mind shots in general. I think if you just relax and follow the directions with your "kit" you'll find it manageable. Its a very small needle and in my opinion (ignoring the mental effects) quite painless. I was pleasantly surprised at the ease of the procedure. Good luck to all who have to do it. Best advice just relax get through the first shot and it just gets easier.