Atrial Fibrillation (AFib) Support Group

Atrial fibrillation (AF or afib) is an abnormal heart rhythm (cardiac arrhythmia) which involves the two small, upper heart chambers (the atria). Heart beats in a normal heart begin after electricity generated in the atria by the sinoatrial node spread through the heart and cause contraction of the heart muscle and pumping of blood.

0 Online
0 Online

Life Expectancy

I am 81 and have been diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation. I have been taking warfarin for 1 1/2 years. I would like to know what my rough life expectancy is. If anyone has any info on this it would be great.

Thanks,
John

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

the only thing I have heard is if you are aware of the condition and stay on the regimen prescribed by health professionals, a-fib is not life threatening.

My aunt has -fib and her heart rate gets so fast she passes out but because she is aware it has not slowed her or stopped her.

I think the biggest worry about a-fib is worry about a-fib...

as Spock says "live long and prosper"
svenska
svenska

My Dad had A-fib for years and lived to be 91!! It did not have anything to do with his death. He controlled it for years with medication!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I was diagnosed with A-Fib ten years ago (age 50). Doctors have had me on several meds over the years, but Rythmol seems to be the best.
I have just learned how to "Live With It", and hope if I do as I am told, I'll be O.K.
To be honest, (and I am not being smart or cute)I am more concerned about being struck down by a car, whos driver is talking on a cell phone, than any of my medical issues!!