Atrial Fibrillation (AFib) Support Group

Atrial fibrillation (AF or afib) is an abnormal heart rhythm (cardiac arrhythmia) which involves the two small, upper heart chambers (the atria). Heart beats in a normal heart begin after electricity generated in the atria by the sinoatrial node spread through the heart and cause contraction of the heart muscle and pumping of blood.

0 Online
0 Online

How long do you stay in afib before heading to ER/

I was wondering how long anyone stays in A fib before going to ER/MD.
going on 8 hours.
Mek2

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

I would head in. My attacks have never lasted more than an hour, so I don't know.
yogacat
yogacat

I don't know how long I was in afib before I dropped in to my dr. office to have him check my BP, but my pulse was racing and I was in afib and he sent me to er immediately. I have also gone to er to have them check my bp and they admitted me immediatelly. You can always do that, go to er and have them check. My last attack lasted 18 hrs that I know of. The er gave me an IV to stop it, but it didn't work, so even tho my heart was still irratic my pulse was normal and they let me go home..I had to go to me dr. next day. I think the wondering can make it worse...maybe not. But I would go and have them check it for you.
ecofr
ecofr

Go to ER, not to MD, now. AFib is due to abnormal electric circuits been activated in the heart tissue. The more you wait, the more the chance that the circuits become permanent. My cardiologist told me to take a metoprolol pill, and go to ER after 1/2 hour if AFib does not stop.
deleted_user
deleted_user

It is common for my episodes to be anywhere from 12 - 25 hrs. Seldom are they longer. The only time I felt compelled to go to the ER was shortly after by ablation when my heart was also racing.

When an episode begins, it can be irregular as well as fast. after about an hour (sometimes shorter) it is just irregular, but no longer racing. Without doing anything strenuous, I just get on with my day or in some cases, sleep through it, since most episodes begin in the evenings.

If you don't have one already, get yourself a BP cuff with a pulse monitor. Mine is a Timex, fairly inexpensive and surprising accurate (I have brought it to the drs office). You will be able to see the irregular heart beats and how fast it is.

Since this disease is so different in every one, I would ask the dr. for guidelines.

Take care.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Here here on the ask your doctor for your own guidelines...my EP and Cardiologist told me to come right in if I was over 155 bpm, wait three days if I was between 130 and 155, and if under 130 bpm, just carry on as usual unless it was too uncomfortable...I always needed to be electronically cardioverted so I would often have to wait through a weekend as our little hospital did not staff the catheter lab on weekends...My longest bout was 10 days at about 126 bpm...they did not sem alarmed, and I flew from the East to the West Coast for work during that period...it is different for everyone, so please work out YOUR own plan with YOUR caregivers...best of luck to you!
deleted_user
deleted_user

Thank you everyone for your responses..I did talk to my cardiologist and EP. I was told if it was longer then 8 hours head in. Yesterday it started at 1:10pm and stopped at 8pm, so it lasted 7 hours. I took extra lopressor 12.5mg when it started. My heart rate stayed between 120-140's if that, very hard to know since it is irregular. EP says just come on in and we can cardiovert you, acting like it is a party ...right i really dont want to have my heart zapped, just so it can happen again later.
I have decided to stop taking the fish oil
and the cal/mag drink, i will continue my multivam and 325mg asprin.
mek3
deleted_user
deleted_user

Meg,
Why stop the Fish Oil. Have you heard that it's a problem?
Kat
yogacat
yogacat

I'm so glad you are OK. I have sure learned alot from your episode. I will talk to my Dr. tomarrow, because he has told me nothing, and now I have the specific questions to ask him for my episodes. Bless you and everyone who responded to this post for sharing.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I was taking fish oil but once I had my stroke (TIA) he told me to stop. That is also when I started taking my blood thinner. Again, your doctors should know your history and the pills that you take, they will be your best guide. I was more adamant on what I would take or not until I had the stroke (1 1/2 years ago) - now I question everything, and if they have a good explanation, I follow it. I do not try to medicate or un-medicate myself.

Joan
deleted_user
deleted_user

To Meg I decided to stop taking the fishoil since it was something new to my diet and since being on it I have had four episodes also on this site members have mentioned how it caused more afib. So I ha e decided to stick with what my cardiologist and EP ordered and that was toprol xl 50mg at bedtime and 325mg aspirin daily,along with my multiivam daily
mek3
deleted_user
deleted_user

To add to the everyone s different theme, my EP and cardiologists have me taking 4 fish oils a day...nothing is a perfect science in A-fib...

Hang in there!
marikay234
marikay234

I am intrigued by the idea that fish oil can trigger this because it is so accepted that fish oil is good for your heart. I tried stopping it and didn't notice any improvement though. I did read a book recently about reversing heart disease (Bill Clinton follows this type of diet) and it claims that a plant based diet will reverse coronary artery disease and they cut out fish oils and vegetable fats too. This is a different problem than a fib, but I found it interesting. I am trying to eat more fruits and vegetables and less fats, but it isn't easy.
As reid says, everyone is different...wheat is big trigger for me.
deleted_user
deleted_user

It's funny how doctors all have different opinions. After my ablation in March, I developed A/flutter and went to the ER. The only thing they do is bring the heart rate down and that's it. I went home with A/flutter but at a low rate. My EP told me not to run to the ER as it gets quite expensive. Who knows what to do anymore. I hear so many different opinions.
rfclark
rfclark

Hey Guys, Robert here...

Things were going well post-ablation 2 JUN), but last SAT at 8 PM, AFIB reared its ugly head! HR was low 130's...

Talked to my EP on Monday, gave me 3 options: 1.) go back into hospital for 3 days for tikosyn, 2.) wait for awhile to see if it goes away, and 3.) try 'other options' such as a 2nd ablation.

We established the ground rules: HR less than 100 BPM, don't worry about it. 100 < HR < 135, take med. Greater than 140 go to ER.

EP told me that we could go a while, but no longer than 3 weeks in AFIB. SO, if not in SR, we will have to schedule other therapies or hospital for tikosyn.

Even though my HR is ~100 or less, i feel that I can't make it weeks like this. 4 days is tough enough!

The real story is that BOO... I ain't got no (sinus) rhythm!

Robert
deleted_user
deleted_user

Thanks everyone for the responses...I was afib free for 14 days..so back to my normal routine of afib every two weeks or not...stil can figure out what my triggers are. Came home from camping and had finished putting everything away and was going to my parents to visit by the time we got there I could feel that I was going to go into aib. Is it heat/cold temp cahnge, is it hormones, is it tiredness...who the yeck know it jsu depressing.
I also ge emotional when afib starts...I can cry at a drop of a hat..
mek3