Asthma Support Group

Asthma is a disease of the human respiratory system where the airways narrow, often in response to a "trigger" such as exposure to an allergen, cold air, exercise, or emotional stress. This airway narrowing causes symptoms such as wheezing, shortness of breath, chest tightness, and coughing, which respond to bronchodilators.

0 Online
0 Online

Singulair and Suicidal ideations

Some of my patients as well as DS members have asked me about this so here is the info:

1) On March 27 the FDA issued an early communication regarding the agency's investigation of a possible association between the use of Singulair (montelukast) and behavior/mood changes, suicidality (suicidal thinking and behavior), and suicide.
2) The FDA anticipates that it may take up to 9 months to complete the ongoing evaluation of the data it has received.
3) The agency is reviewing the postmarketing reports on this subject, and it has requested that Merck evaluate Singulair study data for more information about suicidality and suicide.

IMPORTANT:
1) The FDA has NOT concluded a causal relationship exists between Singulair and suicide, and the agency is NOT advising health care professionals to discontinue prescribing this product.
2) The FDA has not reached a conclusion about whether this information warrants any regulatory action at this time.

TO SUM IT UP:
Health care professionals like myself, patients and caregivers should monitor patients taking Singulair for suicidality and changes in behavior and mood and obviously report them (to the FDA's MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program by phone: 1-800-332-1088, by fax: 1-800-FDA-0178, OR online https://www.fda.gov/medwatch/report.htm.

Dr O.

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

I was just getting ready to post the same thing...Thanks DrO...much needed info!
deleted_user
deleted_user

Dr. O-

I've been on and off this drug for years and the only problem I had with it is this: IT DOESN'T SEEM TO WORK FOR ASTHMA (which while depressing, especially with its cost, did not cause Depression/suicidal tendencies :-)

It might work for allergies, but I honestly felt this drug worked a whole lot better in textbook theory than in real world reality.
bluesun
bluesun

wow... I've been on it for 6 years and never felt any suicidal feelings. There's too much in life I want to do. But thanks for the info!
thp636
thp636

If we really read all the potential side effects of our meds we would be afraid to take anything. I had taken singulair for about a year with no adverse effects. Of course it didn't seem to help much either.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have not had problems with my moods or suicidal ideation, yet I feel singulair helps me with my allergic asthma.
Ohana
Ohana

Singulair helps me with my allergic asthma. Is there any info on a time factor? The longer it is taken the more likely the suicidal association ?
deleted_user
deleted_user

No generally if you are going to have these issues with Singulair (and remember we dont even know yet if there is a link) they will likely happen soon after you start the medication
Dr O.
deleted_user
deleted_user

i ahve been on singulair for years. i was put on it as a trial before it was licensed in the uk. i ahve never had any problems with it not sure how effective it is but never had side effects from it.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I was taking Singulair for 5 1/2 years..last year I started on B/C for endo..and last sept I hit bottom and suffered from increasing anxiety and depression leading to suicidal tendencies and a 3 day hospital stay. My children take it daily (one for asthma and one for allergies) and I am taking them both of it and looking for alternate therapies for them. I am freaked by the possibility that the Singulair accompanied with other meds did help lead to my downfall last FAll.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I started Singulair 7 years ago, which is also around the same time my depression started. I don't think the two are related though. I'm going to ask my doc on my next visit. I hesitate to change any of my meds as I end up in the ER when I do that.
deleted_user
deleted_user

always checkwith your dr before stoppping starting ay meds
Ohana
Ohana

Oh yes..Olive has an excellent point on not stopping meds.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I'm no doctor, but have had allergies since birth (35 yrs).
I think all medicines are subjective and their potentcy/side effects differ from person to person.
It varies.
My son, 14, was on it and said it wasn't doing anything, so in light of the new "discovery" with it, I opted to take him off.
BreatheEasy
BreatheEasy

I have been taking it for years and never had a problem one with it. The only time I have a problem is.... only if I have to go without it... I know right away if I have missed a dose. So, I avoid that at all costs. I will be very surprised if they do find a link between it and suicidal thoughts!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I am a mother of three asthmatics and I have asthma. Two of my children are on Singular and it has done wonders for my son who was on prednisone 4 times a year. He hasn't needed Prednisone since he started Singular and he's never been depressed on it. My 10 year old is also find on the drug. I plan to keep an eye on them.

I also know tht decogestants cause depression. Hypothryroidism causes depression. I take a lot of meds and get sad but not depressed all the time. Thank God!

I rather my kids take Singular then Prednisone. Prednisone make me insane and my kids HYPER!!!! No thanks!

I wonder what else was going on in these people's lives that could cause them to kill themselves. Is this linked to one person or many? They don't know yet and until they have more valid information, I rather keep my kids on Singular then Prednisone.