Asthma Support Group

Asthma is a disease of the human respiratory system where the airways narrow, often in response to a "trigger" such as exposure to an allergen, cold air, exercise, or emotional stress. This airway narrowing causes symptoms such as wheezing, shortness of breath, chest tightness, and coughing, which respond to bronchodilators.

1 Online
1 Online

Cold Drinks

Anyone else start coughing when they drink cold things? It seems really bad when it's something thick, like a smoothie...

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

i know what you mean. i love ice cream but i get a nasty cough and really wheezie from eating it. sometimes it is not worth the aftermath to eat it.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I've had that problem but since being on therapy (Advair), I've been okay. But before, drinking anything really cold or eating ice cream would have me coughing and wheezing terribly.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Yes I cough every time I have a mocha frap. It never fails. I can eat ice cream, but the iced frappacinos make me cough for about 15 min. I know a few people who become bronchospastic after cold drinks.
Ohana
Ohana

Ice cream & ice drinks make me cough. I have problems outside when the temps are below 25 degrees. I use a mask or scarf but it is like the air is extremely thin & I cough.
Marah
Marah

Yes, when they are really cold. Wow, I thought it was just me.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi guys,

cold air causes bronchospasms. one of the first things we learn is NOT to give ice water to asthmatics/COPD'ers, as it causes bronchospasm. So, if you start having an acute attack, DO NOT drink anything cold! :)
deleted_user
deleted_user

Happens to me all the time...yeah, like Marah, I thought it was just me too until I started reading these boards. It's unfortunate because I used to love icey cold drinks. Wahhh!
deleted_user
deleted_user

wow ... i thought that this was just me .. everyone looks at me strangly when it occurs ... i guess it started last year out the blue i couldnt catch my breath and couldnt start coughing after taking a sip out of a cold tea i was already drinking ... and it happened periodicly for a about 2 months .. the doctor said it was really nothing but it has been occuring regularly since the end of july .. no cold food or drink .. i feel like my throat has stopped working .. i am so glad to have a clue as to what is going on .. thanks to those who started this post
deleted_user
deleted_user

typo couldnt stop coughing
laurie32
laurie32

yes i have that proublem too. i drink my pop when it not too cold. sometime if i drink something cold i can start to cough and my chest to start to hurt.
deleted_user
deleted_user

i am like Ohana; whenever its cold out i constantly have a cough!!! sometiems if the drink is like super freezing i get a cough too. it sucks...
deleted_user
deleted_user

Wow...I don't think I've ever had problems after drinking/eating anything cold but I know if it's really cold outside, sometimes I do have a hard time catching my breath.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I don't have a big problem with cold drinks, but I prefer warmer/room temp tea or water to sip on when I'm having an attack. But cold weather! Ugh! Cold dry air is AWFUL for my lungs and throat. I had a huge coughing spell at my boyfriend's soccer game yesterday because it was 50 out and windy (Well that and the darned ragweed). Hope the new Advair kicks in before the real cold weather arrives
deleted_user
deleted_user

Cold weather is no good.
Cold drinks had not bothered me, but in something like a smoothie or Ice Cream the dairy will make my asthma unhappy