Arnold-Chiari Malformation Support Group

Arnold-Chiari malformation, sometimes referred to as 'Chiari malformation' or ACM, is a congenital anomaly of the brain. Arnold-Chiari Malformation II occurs in almost all children born with both spina bifida and hydrocephalus, but ACM I is typically seen in children and adults without spina bifida.

0 Online

Chiari and exercise???

Can it happen? I have Chiari and I used to be very active, athletic, and work out. Now that I've had this head-pain for over 3 years, I haven't been able to do anything. What do you do to exercise? I've been thinking about buying a treadmill but I don't know if that will cause too much pressure. I know I can't run on it (if I breath too heavily the pain increases) but maybe walking??? What do you think? Any advice??

Thanks for your help:-)
~Jen

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

Jen,

Hi, I had my surgery 7 years ago. I still get head aches all the time. The only exercise I have found helpful is walking. I walk a couple miles almost everyday. Outside is the best but I'll do the tread mill if I have to.
deleted_user
deleted_user

wELL I WALK FOR EXERCISE EVERY DAY. IT REALY WORKS BECAUSE I DO IT DAILY I WAS ALSO TOLD BY MY DOCTOR THAT I CAN DO YOGA IT IS GOOD FOR THE BREATHING AND STRATCHING YOUR MUCLES. WELL THE WALKING IS ALL I CAN DO AND I HAVE LOST ABOUT 10 POUNDS SINCE MAY AND HAVE GAINED ALOT MORE MUCLE AND IT HELPS WITH YOUR THE WAY I FEEL AND HAS HELPED WITH THE BODY PAIN I GET ON A DAILY BASIS.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Walking and a stationary bike help me.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Yoga is about the only thing I can do. I used to be heavily into ballet but had to quit because of my pain.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I've had surgery for chiari malformation 1 two years ago. when i was younger i also was very athletic.after the surgery i still had most of the problems i had before surgery, just not as bad. But yah i walk on my treadmill and do alot of stretches to help my tense and numb muscles. but too much of any exercises give me huge neck, back and headaches.
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • nana012

I have cancer

I had to have a lung biopsy, and I have cancer. A very rare form that doesn't have any standard treatment. There just isn't a lot of case history for this. It is epithelioid hemangio endothelioma. The cancer support group doesn't talk every day. I can understand why. I'm waiting for the oncologist to call back for an appointment, and will hear in the next few days. Who knew. Ha!
  • Urlacher

Support from family

It's so hard dealing with pain especially when you don't get any support from the person who your supposed to be closest to. So hard when your trying to deal with pain and that person treats you worse than the pain. Having hard time understanding why. unless you are having a good Day you are treated like crap and they make you feel worthless.