Arnold-Chiari Malformation Support Group

Arnold-Chiari malformation, sometimes referred to as 'Chiari malformation' or ACM, is a congenital anomaly of the brain. Arnold-Chiari Malformation II occurs in almost all children born with both spina bifida and hydrocephalus, but ACM I is typically seen in children and adults without spina bifida.

0 Online
0 Online

Chiari and exercise???

Can it happen? I have Chiari and I used to be very active, athletic, and work out. Now that I've had this head-pain for over 3 years, I haven't been able to do anything. What do you do to exercise? I've been thinking about buying a treadmill but I don't know if that will cause too much pressure. I know I can't run on it (if I breath too heavily the pain increases) but maybe walking??? What do you think? Any advice??

Thanks for your help:-)
~Jen

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

Jen,

Hi, I had my surgery 7 years ago. I still get head aches all the time. The only exercise I have found helpful is walking. I walk a couple miles almost everyday. Outside is the best but I'll do the tread mill if I have to.
deleted_user
deleted_user

wELL I WALK FOR EXERCISE EVERY DAY. IT REALY WORKS BECAUSE I DO IT DAILY I WAS ALSO TOLD BY MY DOCTOR THAT I CAN DO YOGA IT IS GOOD FOR THE BREATHING AND STRATCHING YOUR MUCLES. WELL THE WALKING IS ALL I CAN DO AND I HAVE LOST ABOUT 10 POUNDS SINCE MAY AND HAVE GAINED ALOT MORE MUCLE AND IT HELPS WITH YOUR THE WAY I FEEL AND HAS HELPED WITH THE BODY PAIN I GET ON A DAILY BASIS.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Walking and a stationary bike help me.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Yoga is about the only thing I can do. I used to be heavily into ballet but had to quit because of my pain.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I've had surgery for chiari malformation 1 two years ago. when i was younger i also was very athletic.after the surgery i still had most of the problems i had before surgery, just not as bad. But yah i walk on my treadmill and do alot of stretches to help my tense and numb muscles. but too much of any exercises give me huge neck, back and headaches.