Anxiety Support Group

Anxiety is a physical condition marked by intense and persistent feelings of distress, fear, angst or dread. General anxiety caused by routine day-to-day stresses usually passes quickly and is experienced by almost everyone at one time or another. However, such feelings that linger over time and are very difficult to cope with, and which lack a clear cause, may indicate an anxiety disorder.

8 Online
8 Online

zoloft and how long it takes to work

i started takign zoloft two weeks ago..started out with a really small dose 12.5mg then after a week increased it to 25 for a couple days and i've been at 50mg since.....i havent noticed much of a difference...maybe a little, or maybe i just think its the zoloft.....some people say it takes 2 weeks and im nervous because i havent noticed dramatic improvement....

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

Emmie,

Everyone is different, but usually to feel anything significant from the meds it takes 4-6 weeks and sometimes longer.

Hang in there and please do other things to help you cope with anxiety. Don't just rely on meds alone, get daily vigorous exercise and find some goals and stick to them.

You're going to be ok, believe me :)

Hugs,
LeAnne
deleted_user
deleted_user

Yeah, don't just rely on the meds. I am on my 5th week today, on 50mg, and I just recently started to see a difference. However, I made myself go back to work, made myself get out of the house, everything I have been scared to do I have been making myself do it. I'm unconfortable, but I push through it. With time I have noticed a reduction in my anxiety, but I still have a ways to go. Hang in there, it will work. I have taken zoloft twice before and it gave me my life back, I wish I had never went off in the 1st place. Good Luck & Hugs!!!
DogCrazy
DogCrazy

I think when i was on it it was stated on 50mg then 75mg then 100mg, for me personally it was a miricle medicine, i went from suicidal to being wonderfully human in 3 weeks.
It,s possible it may take a little longer to kick in as your doctor started you on such a low dose.
Hang in there!
Im sure you,ll be feeling like a whole new person soon,it completely took away my anxiety away along with small doses of clonopin throughout day.
There is always hope at the end of a rainbow!!.
With Love xxx
deleted_user
deleted_user

thanks scorpio and raquel!....i definitely have not been relying on the meds...ive been to work everyday, there is no longer anything i avoid:)...i push through everything and definitely have moments of relief when i'm completely distracted....i just look forward to the benefits of the zoloft and am a bit ansy....anxiety level is much lower but i still don't feel like myself, or even remember how that feels..i hope the medicine will give me back that feeling so i can remember
deleted_user
deleted_user

Thanks DogCrazy....i actually did take zoloft but it was 10 years ago...i was 15 then and wasn't as hyper aware of everything as i am now....it was definitely a miracle drug for me then, its just my anxiety now telling me that its worse and thigns are different now since im older and the meds wont work, but i have to have faith ....thanks for your response!! i am definitely more positive!...i have only been on 50mg for four days..so i should give it a chance:).....i can't wait to say " You were right! I feel fantastic"...
deleted_user
deleted_user

please no negative comments about zoloft as i am a huge hypochondriac!! :P
sdwill
sdwill

Zoloft 50mg has been very successful for me but took 8 wks to really feel a difference and then added YAZ. I am back to my old self with the exception of every now and then around my period I get jittery. Be patient it takes a while to really get into your system.
Hugs,
Sandi
deleted_user
deleted_user

ok good so i shoudlnt be worried just after two weeks then.....does anyone know if it helps with depersonalization?...it makes me feel like i'm not myself..i dont have a connection with things around me...
deleted_user
deleted_user

Are we twins :) I too have depersonalization, and yes I do think it helps, I think that's my worst symptom, I hate that "unreal" feeling.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Ok one more question...if i'm not having side effects and its been two weeks.. is it safe to say i wont get them...i increased to the 50 4 days ago, but still no major side effects just tired and a little shakey..thats it....
DogCrazy
DogCrazy

Get well Emmie
Im thinking Happy Thoughts For You!
With Love xx.
deleted_user
deleted_user

It does take a while to work but it could be you'll need another rise in dosage. It is not uncommon to take 75 or 100 mg of Zoloft.
deleted_user
deleted_user

i talked to the pharmacist and she said it usually takes 7-14 days and 30 max....really?? i didnt think that was true, i thought it was 4-6...hm
deleted_user
deleted_user

thanks for everyone's comments:)....i've been taking zoloft now for three and a half weeks...2 and a half on 50mg and then one week on 75mg...i think i feel better...i have good moments and bad....but the good ones are getting better......im not 100% and to be honest a bit nervous that the zoloft has done its job or hasnt at all......should i be worried after 3 adn a half weeks?

could it be taking longer because i increased to 75 a week ago? and it interrupted the process?...should i wait longer to expect results now?, like starting fresh? so 4-6 more weeks even though i've technically been taking it for 3 and a half already???...

i hope i feel like myself again!! and soon!