Anxiety Support Group

Anxiety is a physical condition marked by intense and persistent feelings of distress, fear, angst or dread. General anxiety caused by routine day-to-day stresses usually passes quickly and is experienced by almost everyone at one time or another. However, such feelings that linger over time and are very difficult to cope with, and which lack a clear cause, may indicate an anxiety disorder.

0 Online
0 Online

anxiety in church

i definitely have anxiety when it comes to going to church. i have been going to church my whole life but still being in a big church is just too much for me. i can't be myself at all. i feel like crying but am too afraid and i don't know what i'm afraid of. i feel like everything being said applies to me and everyone knows even tho no one at the church knows me. everyone in the church stands and gets excited and praises but i'm the only one sitting becuase i am concerned about something that no one else notices but i think everyone notices and also i'm just not used to acting that way, especially in front of people. when i do stand up i notice that my armpits start getting a little sweaty but that may be due to the church being hot. even when church is over i just want to get out of there instead of talking with everyone and meeting new people. is this normal anxiety and the church i attend is just too crunk for me or is it just me? i just feel so strange being the only person sitting when everyone else is jumping up and down and praising but at the same time i feel more comfortable sitting in that moment. i think i need to find a smaller church.

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi, I too have anxiety in church. Mine church is a little calmer than yours. My therapist said church is one of the most common places for people to have panic and anxiety. I think everyone should be able to worship in there own way. even if you are not as active as some. Don't worry about it. Most people don't notice anyone but themselves.
deleted_user
deleted_user

yes I get aniety too...I dont go to church anymore...I feel i dont fit in with the people... hope to find one some day I feel comfortabe being a part of.
deleted_user
deleted_user

thats good to know that church is a common place to get anxiety and i'm not just a very bad person cuz i don't praise god like everyone else.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I also go to a charasmatic church and i feel the same, i too choose not to worship in that way, i just feel closer to God when im quiet and still, everyones different i guess, and i know God doesnt care how we praise him as long as we do :)
deleted_user
deleted_user

hiya im the same in church only started going again last sunday after being away since xmas if it was not for my wee lad and letting him done i would not go ,if you really want to go back to church go a bit earlier and nab the back seat in church then youve nobody sitting behind you thats what i do .

sally
deleted_user
deleted_user

It might just be the large crowds that make you anxious. Are you the same in busy shops, malls and public places.

I'm an athiest / humanist so obviously don't go to church. If there is a god, surely he is not so vain as to demand being worshipped. Is it not enough to just be a good human being without going to church, thus eliminating the problem with church.

http://www.humanism.org.uk/site/cms/contentChapterView.asp?chapter=309
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have had some of my worst anxiety attacks at church. My therapist says that it probably has to do with the big group of people. I'm thinking that she's right plus I think that I'm overly self-conscious and worry about stupid things. As someone said earlier, everyone worships in their own way and we have to remember that.
deleted_user
deleted_user

My problem with anxiety in church is actually because I feel trapped for the hour I'm there. I keep thinking what if I panic?? I can't leave church early. What will people think?? When I do go. I sit in the back or near an exit at least.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Thank you for sharing. I thought I was the only one that has this problem. I also attend a Charasmatic Church. But I am not the type of person that wants to be noticed either so I sit in the back and feel as if I get too anxious I can get up and leave
deleted_user
deleted_user

Boy, I am so glad you wrote this. I , too have snxiety in church. But because of my position I have to attend. Sometimes I don't even know what's going on in church because of the way I am feeling.
deleted_user
deleted_user

If anyone finds a solutions to this , let me know!!!!!
deleted_user
deleted_user

Well, here is what I do - I hope this does not offend anyone. I walk outside alone (or go to a park or to the beach), and I pray by myself to the Deity I believe in. I practice Theology rather than Religion. To clarify, Theology is about me and my Deity; Religion is about the financial health & well being of the church and the control it has over its members.

If you're a Christian and a feel the need for someone to pray with or the need to be prayed over, Invite your pastor over for tea & cookies or for dinner once a week.

This is kind of like the old joke where a guy goes to the doctor and says that his arm hurts when he moves it a certain way. The doctor tells him not to move it that way.

If church makes you uncomfortable, stay away from it. Staying away from church does not mean abandoning your beliefs.
deleted_user
deleted_user

How bizarre that this topic was brought up! I used to faint in church all the time when i was a little girl. It's all making sense now. Doctors could never make sense of it, but I'm positive anxiety was the culprit.
deleted_user
deleted_user

i'm only in grade school, i go to acatholic school/parish. and i don't like going to church because of my anxiety. my mom is setting me up with a counselor but i don't know if it will help. i love to know that it's not just me anxious in church. My secretary at the school has caught on to me saying i felt sick only the time we go to church. She asked me if i just got anxious and hot when i went to church. She said she had it when she was younger... My mom said she doesn't want an 11 year old to start on anxiety medicine at this age.. i don't know what todo.. I get nausea in church and diahrrea. it is definitely not fun.. The thing is, Noone understands. I'm even afraid to tell my own bestfriend what's going on..
Beth85
Beth85

I often get anxiety in church, too. It's either one of two things - the music is too loud, or I'm feeling moved and starting to feel emotional and emotions always set me into an attack.

Sometimes I'll leave the service if I have to. I also will try different types of churches. I enjoy the liturgical services of anglican and episcopal churches where the music generally isn't too loud, and I also enjoy the liveliness of an Assemblies of God or Pentecostal church (where sometimes the music is too loud, especially at the young adult service int he smaller chapel but with bigger speakers, lol). Depends on my mood which kind of church I want to go to.

I do feel, for myself, it is important to be amongst other Christians, whether that's Sunday morning or another time, doesn't matter. But we need to encourage each other, we need to worship God together, and we need to pray for each other.

The church I grew up in didn't have a pastor, by choice, and we would gather together in each other's homes, always follow the service with a potluck dinner. :-) No overhead, no offering, no 'religion' by OldManBear's definition. Just friends enjoying God together, and sharing struggles and praying and worshipping together.

I'm now in Texas, grew up in MA, and haven't found a church like that here. I am in fellowship with other believers because I live across the street from a Christian campus and participate in some of the activities, but I haven't found a 'church home' really. It's something I need. But there's a church on every corner down here in the Bible belt and it's so hard to pick!