Antiphospholipid Syndrome Support Group

Antiphospholipid syndrome (or antiphospholipid antibody syndrome) is a disorder of coagulation which causes thrombosis in both arteries and veins, as well as recurrent miscarriage. It is due to the autoimmune production of antibodies against cell membrane constituents. A very rare form is the catastrophic antiphospholipid syndrome, in which there is rapid organ dysfunction and failure.

0 Online
0 Online

Dealing with APS/autoimmune flares

Does anyone have any tips/tricks for dealing with APS/autoimmune flares? I'm primary APS, positive for IgM, LAC, and anticardiolipins. I'm on Coumadin, baby ASA, and Plaquenil and normally am doing fine. I still get flares though and was hoping for some advice on how to deal with them better, what to do to take care of myself during one, or if there's any way to make them go away faster?

Thanks!

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi Charise,
I absolutely have flare ups from the APS. I have learned certain things that trigger them. Lack of sleep (huge), over doing it, the HEAT,weather changes, certain foods, and your period can all contribute to a flare up. Menstrual cycle (hormone changes) can be a huge trigger of a flare up for some of us. These types of things cause me a mini-flare up. The only thing that helps me feel a bit better is to rest, get more sleep, stay out of the heat, etc. IF your symptoms/flare up continues for a longer period of time, you may need to be on an added medication for your APS. Plaquenil may not be enough if your symptoms dont go away after a week or so and you should see your rheumatologist. I am on Plaquenil, prednisone and methotrextrate now for my recent and HORRIBLE APS flare up. All supress the immune system from producing the antibodies. Feel free to email me if you have any other questions.
Melissa