Amputees Support Group

Amputation is the removal of a body extremity by trauma or surgery. Many have undergone amputation or have been living with a missing limb since birth. In either case, life as an amputee can be challenging. This is the place to find others going through the same experiences as an amputee. Share your thoughts, troubles, and solutions with the community.

0 Online
0 Online

how long does it take to walk again

i just got my prosethic and im an above the knee im just going into rehab to learn how to walk and just wondering how long it takes to learn

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

I don't know your situation, but I think it depends on several factors: if you are already walking well with crutches for long distances (they build your sense of balance) and you don't have any other physical problems/injuries and you have been doing the recommended stump and core exercises several times a day for at least 5-6 weeks (sit ups, leg lifts etc.), then it shouldn't take very long to learn how to walk on the prosthetic leg (a few weeks).

I became an AK amputee about a year ago as the result of a motorcycle accident. I had to wait about 3 months for all of the insurance paperwork to go through for the leg, but I was able to walk without a cane in about 2 weeks. I am in my upper 30's and did all of the required exercises several times a day and I was very comfortable on crutches before I got the leg- even going up and down stairs.

I think it would just take more time if one was trying to walk after being in a wheelchair (without the sense of balance that crutches bring) or if a person's stump muscles weren't already built up.

I was really scared the first time I got up there on that "stilt" but it gets easier and eventually the prosthetic leg feels like a numb part of you.

Hang in there and take your time learning. If your socket is painful (a little tightness is OK) then it will make things much harder and more frustrating.

Good Luck!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I think it is different for everyone. But I started pt on Jan 9 2009 and was walking with one crutch just for balance and I have ruptured disks in my back.....anyway that aside it took me about 4 months between the bars at PT and was walking in about 6 months
Brandi24
Brandi24

The time frame is different for everyone.It depends on the type of amputation and any complications a person might have.It was close to a year before I got my prosthetic because I had a spot on my stump that took a while to heal.Some people it only takes a couple of months.Talk to your doctor about it and they should be able to answer this question based on your specific situation.