Alzheimer's Disease Support Group

Alzheimer's disease (AD) is the most common cause of dementia and characterized by progressive cognitive deterioration with declining activities of daily living and neuropsychiatric symptoms or behavioral changes. An early symptom is memory loss (amnesia), usually manifesting as minor forgetfulness that becomes pronounced with illness progression, with relative preservation of older memories.

1 Online
1 Online

Can early dementia get better?

Can early dementia get better? Does all dementia turn into alzeimers?
My mom lives in another state and in an Assisted Living complex with my stepdad, so I don't get to talk to her doctors or get to be a caregiver.

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

It depends on what is causing the dementia. Dementia is a collection of symptoms of behaviors that make it impossible for someone to lead a normal life. Things like loss of language skills, loss of judgment, disorientation, memory loss, confusion, etc. It can be caused by illness, drug or alcohol use, a blow to the head, reactions to medications, diseases, dozens of things. It's like a fever. It can be caused by a flu, sore throat, infected toe--find the cause and treat that. However, the overwhelming cause of dementia is Alzheimer's disease, and while dementia can sometimes be reversed, Alzheimer's cannot. Dementia does not always lead to Alzheimer's, but look at the website below and get an overview of what Alz behaviors are like.

www.geocities.com/caregiving4alz
deleted_user
deleted_user

alzhiemers is a form of dementia, there are alot of different types and levels. however there is so many good meds out there now to help. dementia depending on what forms can now be controlled and slowed down.
trish