Alcoholism Support Group

Alcoholism is the continued consumption of alcoholic beverages, even when it is negatively affecting your health, work, relationships and life. If you think alcohol is causing you to lose control, it's time to seek help. Our group is a safe place to vent, check in, get back up if you fall, and reach sobriety.

2 Online
2 Online

Solutions other than AA

Anybody got any ideas to help stay sober without having to go to AA?

Replies

stickywick
stickywick

Nothing that worked for me! There are others here who might have suggestions.
Why not AA? are you an alcoholic?
billwfriend
billwfriend

go to NA hahaha they are the same thing different name...LOL

no some here have success with sober no AA like ExJerseygirl I think is one...several others will pipe up and tell what they do

I do AA...did white knuckle for year and then drank again found AA ten months later again
deleted_user
deleted_user

church don't know what your religious beliefs are? It's a spiritual disease and needs to be dealt with that way, if you don't believe in god, read the atheists version in AA book. Even a devil worshiper can do AA. You have to really find your way. AA has gotten in to peoples faces to much, turning ppl off from it, there hand is always suppose to be there. Alot of ppl get holier then though personalities they forget where they came from.Share what you have a problem with about AA, then it can be addressed usually what we think AA is, is not true or what ppl say it is. Alot of opinions on AA. Just don't drink, see a therapist if needed. Not too many ways to choose from though. AA does work and take what you need and leave the rest has always been my motto.Alcoholics become dr's and nurses over night lmao
deleted_user
deleted_user

well said, psmike59. Not much I can add to that, really... I've been sober for a year and a half without AA (except to show up when I'm due for my next sober time chip, and when I was required to by my outpatient counselor in the beginning), and at least in my opinion and in the opinions of those closest to me, I am also recovering successfully in addition to remaining sober. Anyways, alcoholism messes ya up mentally, physically, and spiritually. If you can find a better way to address those three areas without AA (not at all hard to find a better way than AA, in my opinion), it can be done. The physical aspect will mend itself for the most part, following innitial detoxification (if applicable), your mind will heal itself in time also but will require a little bit of prayer, meditation, reflection, and knowledge. I'd say the part that requires the most conscious effort is getting on track spiritualy. This is something that can best be accomplished by believing in and developing a relationship with God through his son Jesus Christ. If you have other beliefs/different understanding of God, that's fine... whatever works for ya. Good luck!
okiyoe1
okiyoe1

Yes!! But I know for me The secret to all of this in My eyes Today .

Was where could I find a place that both enriched My spirit and gave Me direction on How to the sooth the Beast called alcoholism.

While remaining abstinent long enough to see the dire straights in front of Me

if I thought it was a good idea to pick up again .I found it all in AA without having to become religiously inclined. Its something to think about Ok.

AA is about Alcoholism and personal growth I believe in my observation of myself and others staying Abstinent....

Nothing else!
Billy
Community LeaderExJerseyGirl2
ExJerseyGirl2

Sure -- check out SMART Recovery. They have good information and tools available online:

http://www.smartrecovery.org/

They also have online and in person meetings.

You can also check out Rational Recovery -- I think they have good advice around AVRT -- Addictive Voice Recognition Technique. Recognizing the voice in your head that tries to convince you that it's a good idea to drink and strategies for keeping it from gaining control. (More to it than that ... but that's the high level view.)

I found the book "The Easy Way to Stop Drinking" by Allen Carr to be illuminating as well. It really helped me shift my thinking about what drinking is about and why I couldn't stop.

There is also a subgroup here you should check out: : http://www.dailystrength.org/groups/alcoholrecoverywithout12steps
Community LeaderExJerseyGirl2
ExJerseyGirl2

I should also ask, where are you in the process of quitting? Is it something you are thinking about? Have you quit before in the past and found yourself drinking again? Have you tried to quit and couldn't? Or have you stopped and are looking for additional support?
deleted_user
deleted_user

although AA is a wonderful program, stats show church get more people sober. Probably because they do not have to do the steps to get better!
deleted_user
deleted_user

My take on AA? If it works don't fix it.
Greg
deleted_user
deleted_user

i've tried aa and rehab, nothing has worked for me for 17 years of heavy drinking. i'm not knocking AA, but the only thing that worked for me was when I came to the end of the line and I cried out to God in totally despair. My life has been completely changed and I never thought being sober could be as wonderful as it is. Not trying to preach, just sharing with you how I was cured of this terrible diesease.
deleted_user
deleted_user

No AA in my small European city, but if there was one I'd go on principle. AA has a lot of essential ideas: you need a plan, you need support, you need to be accountable.

Rational Recovery was a giant influence for me, and when I was moving towards sanity I read a lot of books on fighting addiction. I check into this forum every day and read a variety of spiritual books. I think you need to confirm sobriety daily (and that's a joy not a chore).

I'm over six months sober, happy and peaceful!
Taradactyl
Taradactyl

I stayed sober for 55 days once without AA. I truly felt amazing and had no problem not drinking. I had also quit smoking and started getting healthy.

Weird thing happened... The thought crossed my mind that since it was so easy to quit, I could surely do it again after drinking just one night. That one night turned into an almost non-stop bender that lasted almost 2 months. I was peeing blood by the time I finally got some meds to help me with the detox. Then I got hooked on the meds AND started drinking again. I ended up in AA a couple months later and still couldn't stop completely for another 2 years. Finally, I seem to have gotten it a year ago. AA was the solution that stuck for me.

I have a handful of friends who seem to have stopped like I did for the first 55 days, but they didn't give themselves the option of having "just one night" more. They just quit and were done. I have some friends who did that with quitting smoking also, but have other friends who like myself just keep starting and stopping and starting and stopping.

I think the key is once you stop, stay stopped. Simple? I don't know. Church seems like a good alternative if you are of the religious type.

You could also just try the 12 steps without meetings... ?

Good luck.
stickywick
stickywick

Tara I did exactly that. I did it for a few years, two times, and 93 days the longest time before going to AA. Each time I thought I was "cured" (like someone else here mentioned) so I had a drink. And WHAM I was back into the vicious cycle, each time faster and worse than the time previously. In the end I was drinking almost a bottle of wine, almost every night. Sometimes a bit more. I had horrible hangovers, I felt dizzy, sick, and I was just beat. AA has been a huge positive in my life and continues to be on a daily basis. I'm grateful.
nickyj18022002
nickyj18022002

Just to emphasise that AA does not have some fancy solution - the answer that it focuses on is a spiritual awakening. AA does not claim any monopoly on being able to bring about a spiritual awakening - it just says that the steps have proved to be a reliable way that works well for alcoholics in particular. If someone can have a spiritual awakening and stay happily and productively sober some other way then who would have a problem with that!

In fact who would have a problem with anyone staying happily and productively sober in any way whatsoever that works for them. What is sad to see though is people who can only stay sober for periods at a time but get no real freedom or people that are not drinking but who are continually struggling to stay away from alcohol or who are unable to find any peace and serenity - there is so much more to be had .

There are lots and lots of different ways to stay sober and advocates and detractors for all of them. I would give three pieces of advice. The first is get as much understanding of the problem you have as you can. Different solutions work for different problems. For example, I found out pretty early on that relying on trying to think differently or ignore certain aspects of my thinking didnt help me to stay sober. When I understood more about my problem I understood why. But my problem is not necessarily your problem. The second is that if you choose a method to try do everything that that method suggests before you decide it doesnt work eg no point in going to AA and not doing the 12 steps which are the suggested recovery program. Thirdly, dont do something or not do it because of my opinion, try it for yourself.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I had to change my way of life completely. This is hard to do alone-and many use AA and other types of support to help maintain. Are you interested in a group type of support network? I do not think that everyone needs AA to get and stay sober, but I do think it is harder when there is no support network to lean on.