Alcoholism Support Group

Alcoholism is the continued consumption of alcoholic beverages, even when it is negatively affecting your health, work, relationships and life. If you think alcohol is causing you to lose control, it's time to seek help. Our group is a safe place to vent, check in, get back up if you fall, and reach sobriety.

2 Online
2 Online

Sneezing fits

Out of interest...did anyone suffer snezzing fits when they were drinking/drunk?

My mum and I used to have a debat about them...she would say they were 'spice' related and I would say they were 'alcohol' related.

(My neighbour drinks one too many and I often here him sneezing).

Whilst here, I know one thing I dont miss and that is reaching when cleaning your teeth in the mornings. Happens occasionally to me now and I am grateful to be sober :)

Any other memory joggers would be welcome as I think it is good to think about things like this in sobriety (maybe that is just my sick mind again! haha)

Replies

rainyangel
rainyangel

do you mean wretching? cuase i was wondering what you meant by reaching in the morning. Anyway, I don't remember ever sneezing really. I remember the horrible dragon breath in the morning though. I would forget to brush my teeth for a few days sometimes. Or even take a shower.ugh my hair would get dreadlocks.
m8bear
m8bear

Lol...yeah thats the word Rainy, cheers :)
deleted_user
deleted_user

Yes, I had some pretty intense sneezing episodes when I was in the initial throes of de-toxing. My body was trying to rid itself of alcohol anyway it could.
deleted_user
deleted_user

No,but I did end up looking somewhat like a llama!
deleted_user
deleted_user

Here is a disgusting one, I ended up a morning drinker, but I would always throw up, so I would have a coffee, throw it up in order to get the drink down. YUK and devious or what.
My dad always sneezes when he has whisky.
m8bear
m8bear

Haha H, I so get that. I heard a share where someone would 'eat' their own vomit so that they didnt waste the alcohol!
deleted_user
deleted_user

My nose gets stopped up when I'm drinking. I get sneezing fits anyways and will always sneeze 10 times but I couldn't breath through my nose at night for the longest time. It must have been the alcohol cause now I can!
CoogeeMum
CoogeeMum

I can't remember, but my husband does when he's had too many, pretty much 6 or 7 in a row. His Dad does too.
xmarkyx
xmarkyx

great post had me thinking i remember sneezing lots when heavily drinking at work with the the boss in next room and just said i had a cold funny how my cold came on in just 5 minutes i also used to go upstairs at work and start wretching and then laying on the cold floor to try and keep it down as not to waste any alcohol as i was sweating the cold floor calmed the sickness if i did throw up i'd be upset that i had wasted alcohol yikes happy to be thinking of it and not practicing in anymore :0)
xmarkyx
xmarkyx

hmmm another memory before i forget short term memory lol is when going for a meal i would hate to go as i could not eat and drink so i'd have my meal then go throw it up so i could just drink drink drink i knew if i ate my body slows down to start working on the food you know when you have a sunday dinner after it your body goes tired cause its working on the food well thats why i threw my meal up so i could just drink aswell as keep my belly empty for just drink hmmmm i dont miss that one bit :0)
xmarkyx
xmarkyx

one more i used to get aching legs after binging for several days my legs would really ache i was frightened to even come down the stairs or go up them fear of falling etc
deleted_user
deleted_user

This is from a site called foodreactions.org:

Symptoms
The consumption of alcohol can provide histamine and aids in the release of histamine. Alcohol prevents the breakdown of histamine. Moreover, histamine shares the same ALDH for its metabolism, hence an impaired ALDH enzyme will amplify the problem after the ingestion of alcohol which leads to excess histamine in the system. This leads to allergy-like symptoms including most notably nasal congestion and mild flushing of the skin within minutes of ingesting alcohol. Other side-effects include fluttering of the heart (palpitations, tachycardia), sensation of heat, headache, abdominal discomfort or a drop in blood pressure (hypotension) are related to high blood acetaldehyde levels.

PS. This is from my research some years ago into why the first couple of drinks would cause me to erupt into a bout of uncontrollable sneezing---
deleted_user
deleted_user

PSPS. Thank Gawd it didn't make me look like a llama!
deleted_user
deleted_user

thanks Larrydarrelndarrel. That's a long name so I'm just gonna call you Larry okay? :)

But I saw you post the other day and I know where your name came from. "Hi, my name is Larry and this is my brother Darrel and my other brother darrel" from Bob Newhart. :)

The histamine thing makes total sense cause when I drink, I can't breath. I think it messes with your nose as well as your lungs. And having asthma, that is NOT good. Thanks for your input! :)
deleted_user
deleted_user

I never had sneezing fits at all but I sure can relate to that nasty dragon breath. I got pretty damn sloppy w/ my hygiene.. I peed on myself a lot. Swweeeeeet..