Alcoholism Support Group

Alcoholism is the continued consumption of alcoholic beverages, even when it is negatively affecting your health, work, relationships and life. If you think alcohol is causing you to lose control, it's time to seek help. Our group is a safe place to vent, check in, get back up if you fall, and reach sobriety.

0 Online
0 Online

Is sudafed addictive?

Is sudafed addicting if you take it everyday? I can't find conclusive information on this. Is there a wanna-be-doctor in the house? Thanks.

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

I don't know but you can start a meth lab with it...
deleted_user
deleted_user

Isn't part of the ingrediants in meth? I would think it may be. Even if it's not addictive one could certainly take it addictively.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have been taking it as I have bad allergies. I stopped and have a killer headache and feel like crap! WTF?
deleted_user
deleted_user

KK you need to withdraw from this - any decongestant can be addicitve and what happens is that it stops working and you need to take more and more

My borther was addicted to Otrivine nasal degongestant for about 10 years and had terrible problems coming off

Decongestants should be used as a temp fix eg for hayfever or a bad cold - otherwise you should be on other medication

Have you had the allergy tests and do you know what your allergies are - I am quite sure a doc in this country would not prescribe sudafed!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I believe a person truly can become dependant on this. The same holds true for the over the counter nasal spray decongestants. What a hell of a suffering withdrawal that stuff poses!!! My personal experience of course!
deleted_user
deleted_user

All I can say about pseudoephedrine is that it would stop you from working for the company I work for. It would give you a positive drug screen.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I think we really need to be aware of ANYTHING that you do or take everyday! Alcoholics tend to have addictive personalities, too much of anything is not good!
deleted_user
deleted_user

FYI, Tylenol is poisonous for your liver. Don't take it!
deleted_user
deleted_user

Only if the taking of sudafed is bothering you and you think you maybe addicted to it, I never heard of anyone getting addicted to it. There are also other treatments for allergies, flonase and Zyrtec work great.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I just go with an antihistimine to relieve congestion. It can make you a little sleepy, but that's about it. Decongestants mess with my blood pressure.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) is not helpful for allergies. Antihistamines are recommended for these problems. Tylenol (acetaminophen) is toxic to the liver and kidneys if not taken as directed (profession information). IT IS NOT POISONOUS! You would be surprised at the things in your house that are poisonous. As the former director of two regional poison information centers: I speak the truth. As an alcoholic: I can become addicted to anything. I have an addictive personality--so I have to be aware!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I use neil med nasal wash system available at walgreens. I too used to have bad allergies. So bad that nothing would work. Not pills, not antibiotics, etc. My doctor finally let me in on a little secret. The secret is to prevent mold and pollen from getting into your nostrils in the first place. Once this stuff gets in to your nostrils, you're fighting an uphill battle because now you're fighting an uphill battle since you're now ALSO dealing with you're body's own autoimmune response. So prevention is the key. One further benefit from this type of nasal wash system is that you'll also get fewer colds since the rhinovirus isn't allowed to attach in a person's nostrils thereby giving them a cold due to frequent washing. There's 2 types of neil med systems, the bottle and the neti pot. I like the bottle since it's more of a high pressure wash and doesn't rely on gravity like the neti pot. You must use some salt in the water (just a little), otherwise it stings too much with fresh water. I use lukewarm tap water and have some cheap sea salt that's iodine free that I just add to the water. I do this twice a day, every day. 3 times a day if it's really a bad time in the middle of allergy season. My order of things is 1. nasal wash. 2. If that doesn't work, then I use flonase or some tother kind of prescription nasal steroid. These prescription nasal steroids are fine for occasional use since all the do is shrink the inflammation at the point of origin and a person doesn't become dependent on them like afrin. Whatever you do, NEVER use over the counter nasal sprays like afrin. Those are totally addictive and you won't be able to get off. 3. If all else fails (which rarely happens if you follow this system), take some pills. Either allergy pills or antibiotics if you feel you have a sinus infection. Since I started doing this, I have never needed to take any pills and have never gotten a cold and it's been almost 2 years. How do you think the doctor's stay well when they see sick people all day? Just a little inside secret for you.
deleted_user
deleted_user

BillW, Thanks for the advice. I'm going to get the nasal spray you recommended. I have horrible allergies. I also just got over the flu. I know allergy medicines won't have us avoid a virus but I think it would have helped the pain in my sinus/face and would have helped the horrible pain in my head. Maybe.. I don't know..
deleted_user
deleted_user

Well, I had a laugh about doctors staying well when they see sick people all day. It's all part of the medical mystique (God is Dr.'s assistant.) Saline spray can be purchased and is NOT addictive. You are correct that there is what is called a "rebound effect" from using nasal decongestants. Your homemade saline is cheaper than saline that you buy in a spray such as Ocean Spray and less convenient. Whatever works for you is good!! Have you ever considered the fact that if doctors were immune to disease: they would never die??? LOL
deleted_user
deleted_user

shaky! LOL!