aa Spoken Here Community Group

Fellowship Where you can share your thoughts, feelings, stories and get support to gain and continue sobriety.

0 Online
0 Online

medical marijuana and AA

i know what AA says and what it means to be clean and sober of drugs and alcohol
but in CA marijuana is prescribed for medical uses
our debate is about if you are smoking marijuana does than mean you are not sober?

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

Here's my take on it. I won't sponsor people who spoke marijuana because it is a mind altering substance and it prevents, in my belief, spiritual experience. An alcoholic smoking marijuana is likely to relapse from what I have seen.

As far as I am aware it is still illegal in any medical sense in the UK.

I take it you mean CA is California?

For our Australian friends, is marijuana illegal in your country - or anywhere else in the world where we have members. What about Canada?
deleted_user
deleted_user

Oops - I meant smoke not spoke!
deleted_user
deleted_user

Excellent explanation Gaiily. Can we really be open to a spiritual experience if we're smoking marijuana since it is mood altering?
Again, a very controversial topic.

Smoking it for medical issues is another ball of wax. It's also illegal here. Another outside issue.
donttread
donttread

Tricky question . One thing I never understood though. If you're sick enough to really need medical MJ you probably shouldn't be smoking anything. Perhaps such people should bake more?
deleted_user
deleted_user

ha ha. You do have a point there Dont
donttread
donttread

yes sick people , really sick people, should not smoke anything. I'm serious, think about it
nodp2day
nodp2day

funny thing is that California law is moot when the feds become involved. It's still illegal and for a reason all stated above
donttread
donttread

did you know nod that the Constitution doesn't grant the federal government any drug policy authority within the states? They just take it and nobody cares.
nodp2day
nodp2day

hell I didn't care either till this s..t almost killed me. I am as anti as one can get. I know this... when I use ANYTHING that alters my state of consciousness I also lose my conscious contact with GOD. I prefer the later.
deleted_user
deleted_user

In Washington state it is legal if prescribed. Pain killers such as codiene, morphien etc are also "mind-altering".
Using a drug as prescribed is what we are shooting for. Many presribed drugs can be abused. I will say that again...many prescribed drugs can be abused.

I am not a sobriety cop. A member maning the phones at AA central got back to me and said AA has no opinion on it.

Tea along with other food items work effectively for some types of pain.

It has been proven effective for certain serious conditions.

I currently do not use it but reserve the right to use it legally
deleted_user
deleted_user

If I could spell it would help....lol

You do not need to smoke it, many other methods. You do not need to use it all day.

The potential for abuse I feel is high for some people....as it is for opiate-based painkillers for others.
deleted_user
deleted_user

There is a pamphlet about Alcoholics and medications. If a patient honestly presents symptoms, if the doctor prescribes a med, and if the patient takes it as prescribed, then it does not effect ones soberiety.
Quite honestly, I don't know any marajuana addict who could take it as prescribed for any length of time. If I knew someone who had done a lot of mj, I would strongly recommend they not use marijuana unless it was totally a last resort. It would be like a doctor perscribing drinking two bottles of beer each night, and never drinking more. I might be able to do that for a while, but some night, I am sure would find some very good reason to have a third beer, and off I would go again.

As an organization AA has no opinion on medical marajuana. AA has no opinion on outside issues.
donttread
donttread

Mindlight those other drugs you mentioned produce profits for the people who co-own congress, therefore they are good, just and legal. Even if addictive, tolerance building meds are commomly prescribed to young people with long term pain, it must be just, right??

Nod don't get me wrong, I smoked pot for a little while after I had my last drink and soon saw it becoming to me what alcohol had been, and that there cweren't many long term AA's who smoked up. So I stopped long ago.
But abuse of the Constittuion is a pet peeve of mine you could say.
deleted_user
deleted_user

AA is for those who have a desire to stop Drinking. If someone has been perscribed weed, I would sponsor them. No question about it. It's not my job to say anyone Has to have a spiritual experience or not. I want to see someone's life saved. Not lost because no one in AA considered them 'sober' enough.
'
donttread
donttread

Oh so you actually addressed the topic Rainbow! You are better than us! LOL