Dentist
I graduated from the University of British Columbia with a B.S. in Biochemistry and B.A. in History of Art and had the privilege of attending the University of the Pacific Dugoni School of Dentistry in San Francisco.

Causes Of Painful Or Sensitive Teeth
Posted in Adult Oral and ... by Dr. Mark Burhenne on Mar 25, 2011
Most of us, at one point in our lives, have suffered from tooth sensitivity or pain. When dentists and doctors go about diagnosing the source of pain, they use a method referred to as differential diagnosis, which is a systematic method used to identify unknowns, using the process of elimination.

The first differential usually determines if the pain is associated with all your teeth or just one tooth. Things that happen to a single tooth are typically singular events, such as a cavity, a cracked tooth, or the need for a root canal. These are things that would not happen to all the teeth at the same time.

If the pain is more widespread than that one tooth, or all your teeth have become suddenly sensitive, chances are it is caused by something that is more global. For example, maybe you have just discovered a favorite new food and are eating it every day. This new food could be high in acid which, in a matter of a few days, could start making all of your teeth sensitive. Sudden changes in eating and other habits can cause this.

Another example of a more global causative factor in sensitive, tingling teeth would be a sudden increase in stress. For example, perhaps you just received word that a friend is gravely ill and your cortisol levels have increased. Increased cortisol levels stimulate grinding, or bruxism, which would definitely cause all of your teeth to all of the sudden become sensitive.

Another potential culprit is that you’ve just contracted a sinus infection and both your right and left sinuses are very infected and you’ve been blowing your nose a lot. Within a matter of days, all of your upper back teeth would become sore, painful and very sensitive to sudden motion and impact - such as walking or standing up.

It could also be a combination of global causative factors. For example, it could be the combination of the sudden interest in acidic food along with a change in the weather and cold ambient temperatures. Breathing in cold air after having consumed a lot of acidic foods would definitely make all your teeth tingle or ache. Or you could be whitening your teeth and drinking cold water afterward - another combination that could be the culprit.

I mention all of this just to give you a frame of mind with which to approach your symptoms. The best thing to do with this knowledge is to go see your dentist and to have a discussion about what has changed and what the source of this pain could be.

When you’re at the dentist, give him or her as many data points as possible. Think about what factors have changed recently and which ones have stayed the same to try to narrow down the cause of the sensitivity. This will help you attain the best diagnosis. But remember, sometimes to reach the best diagnosis, it is necessary to eliminate as many of the potential culprits as possible.

Mark Burhenne DDS

2
What can happen if I don't treat my sensitive teeth? http://www.sharecare.com/question/w...
By bhlthe  Mar 27, 2011
1
I had seriously sensitive teeth. I used every type of sensitive tooth toothpaste, but they didn't help.

It changed when I stopped chewing bubble gum with sugar in it and switched to chewing natural gum with a high Xylitol content. I don't even need sensitivity toothpaste any more!
By surferchica  Mar 26, 2011

Adult Oral and Dental Care
Children Oral and Dental Care
Cosmetic Dentistry, Surgery and Orthodontics
Dental Anxiety
Dental Insurance and Finances
Environmental Allergies
Food Allergies