Infertility Blogger
Lee Trask is an advocate for women dealing with issues of infertility and miscarriage. Having struggled through more than six years of infertility, three miscarriages, and high-risk pregnancy, she is now happy raising her two…
What Yout Doctor Might Find During Laparoscopic Surgery
Posted in Infertility by Lee Trask on Apr 05, 2013
I found that when I was going through all my tests, trying to find a reason for my inability to get pregnant, that I was torn about getting the results. Part of me wanted the doctors to find something, some reason, finally, that I could hang all the disappointment and frustration on and say “There. That’s why.”

But with that definitive reason also came fear. What if that thing was irreparable? What if finding it meant I would know for certain, that I would never carry my own baby? The other part of me wanted to believe the tests would never find anything, that I was “normal”, and that I had everything I needed, in working order, to get pregnant and be a mom.

So, when I went in for laparoscopic surgery (my last test before IVF) I was nervous. I knew the doctor was looking for endometriosis, adhesions, scarred, or damaged tubes: all the things that can’t be seen with ultrasound or discovered in blood work. The good news was that, while she was in the surgery, if she did discover endometriosis, there was actually something she could do about it.

If my doctor had found that I had endometriosis, or scar tissue (adhesions,) she would have been able to remove the excess tissue by either cutting it away, or by “burning” it away with a laser. Endometrial cysts can also be removed during laparoscopic surgery.

While mild endometriosis has shown to have little impact on fertility, moderate to severe endometriosis can be the cause of infertility, and studies have shown that once endometrial tissue has been removed, the rate of pregnancy rises: thirty five to sixty five percent, depending on the severity of the endometriosis, and the success of the surgery.

The results of your laparoscopy will give your doctor much needed information about next steps for treatment. While endometrial tissue can be removed, it does tend to grow again, so further drug therapy or follow up surgeries may be required.

- Lee

Source

CATEGORIES: Answers
CONDITIONS AND COMMUNITIES: Infertility  •  Infertility, Secondary  •  Male Infertility  •  Miscarriage  •  Pregnancy After Loss/Infertility

Infertility
Infertility, Secondary
Male Infertility
Miscarriage
Pregnancy After Loss/Infertility