Infertility Blogger
Lee Trask is an advocate for women dealing with issues of infertility and miscarriage. Having struggled through more than six years of infertility, three miscarriages, and high-risk pregnancy, she is now happy raising her two…
How do I tell my 10 year old daughter she has Mosaic Turner Syndrome?
Posted in Turner Syndrome by Lee Trask on Jul 01, 2010
"We just found out that our 10 yr old daughter will not have children due to mosaic turners syndrome. I am out of my element here. I do not believe in keeping things from the children when it comes to there own health. However, at 10, I'm not sure that she is ready to hear all of it. Help from anyone would be appreciated."

Finding out that you child has any health issue is difficult, but knowing you will have to explain it can leave you feeling all the more lost. I am sorry you are going through this.

I am sure that you are experiencing a very steep learning curve right now. Allowing yourself the time to absorb and digest the information about Turners will help when it is time to share this with your daughter. Find out all you can about it, talk with other parents who have already had these conversations with their daughters, have discussions with fertility specialists if you’d like to know more about what your daughter’s potential options are down the line. Arm yourself with all the information you can so that when you do tell her, and she asks tough questions, you can answer them for her.

I think you are right to want to inform your daughter, but it doesn’t have to be all at once. Let your daughter set the pace. Allow her to ask questions about her sexuality as she matures, and when you feel best prepared, and she is mature enough emotionally, you can start to have the conversations with her about her own fertility. She is only ten now, and perhaps when she is ready for a family of her own, there will be other options for her. Telling her now that she cannot have children may be true, but in twenty years the landscape may be different for her. (A small percentage of women with mosaic can carry a pregnancy through IVF... here is a PDF with some information about just that:
www.geneticalliance.org.uk/docs/translations/english/22-turner-t.pdf)

You can also have conversations with her about how families are created in different ways: it’s not always a woman becoming pregnant and having her own baby. You can begin having those types of conversations with her even now, just broadening her view of the concept of “a family” (adoption, surrogacy, etc.).

There will come a time when she will need to know the details. Trust yourself... you will know when that time is right.

- Lee

Related Discussions on DailyStrength:

1
Talk talk talk. It is the best Advice I can give. I have TS and am 24 (was diagnose at birth) I say talk talk talk because from 12-15 is an awkward stage and when your friends are going through the normal changes and you're not it can definitely take a toll. Tell your daughter exactly what to expect, or in this case... Not to expect (in not such a blunt manner) but I know without a shadow of a doubt it would have helped me.
By natalie198807  Dec 29, 2012

Gay Parenting
Grandparents Raising Children
Infertility
Infertility, Secondary
Parents of Children with ADHD
Turner Syndrome