Licensed Psychotherapist
Licensed psychotherapist Julie Hanks, LCSW was recently recognized as the number one online depression influencer by Sharecare for her extensive work promoting mental health resources online. Hanks has over 20 years in the mental…
Helicopter Moms: Are You Mothering — Or Smothering?
Posted in Gay Parenting by Julie Hanks, LCSW on Feb 08, 2013

Parenting is considered one of the most rewarding and fulfilling experiences in life, yet it is also linked with increased stress, unhappiness and depression. A recent study published in The Journal of Child and Family Studies suggests that it is the level of intensity with which you parent — not simply being a parent — that leads to more stress, less life satisfaction and more depression.

In this study, five “intense mothering beliefs” were identified and correlated with unhappiness for moms with young children. Ironically, many of these intense beliefs are how we currently define “good mothering.” This research suggests that moderation in parenting is needed, even when it comes to being a mom. Watch the video from Julie Hanks, LCSW, to discover five myths about mothering as well as what you can do to help your child – and yourself.

- Julie Hanks

2
At first I was a bit set back by the subject line; after all dads can be helicopter parents just as often as moms can. As I listened to the report I found that by making suitable gender neutral changes your advice was a good match for dads as well.

One point that, in my opinion, needs to be strengthened is that children need to learn how to deal with disappointment in their lives. Not that I wish it on children, but it will happen, and children need to grow up to be strong enough to deal with it in a mature way. This has to start in childhood. Helicopter parents who fight all their children's battles are hurting them in the long run.
By ThePepperMan  Feb 10, 2013
1
hello................
By curylaws  Feb 10, 2013

Gay Parenting
Grandparents Raising Children
Parents of Children with ADHD