Marriage and Family Therapist
Julie Cohen is a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist MFT and a Child Mental Health Specialist with a private practice in Los Angeles. Her areas of focus include: depression, anxiety, panic, post-traumatic stress, bipolar…
What's the difference between a therapist and a psychiatrist?
Posted in Depression by Julie Cohen on Apr 22, 2010
"My doctor told me I should see a therapist. Is there a difference between a therapist and a psychiatrist?"

In all the years that I have been a therapist, this is probably the question that I have been asked more than any other. If you thought that the decision to seek therapy was difficult, deciding which type of therapist to see can be ridiculously confusing.
I will start with the basics. A psychiatrist is a medical doctor who specializes in psychological disorders. A psychiatrist can prescribe medication and can also do talk therapy. Typically most psychiatrists just prescribe medication and work as part of a team with the therapist who providing the talk therapy.

A therapist is not a medical doctor and they cannot prescribe medication. A therapist focuses on providing psychotherapy (talk therapy) to their clients. The term “therapist” is used as an umbrella term as is “psychotherapist.” Under the umbrella of “therapist” falls many different titles and licenses of professionals who perform basically the same service: psychotherapy. A few examples are: psychologist, marriage and family therapist, social worker and licensed professional counselor. A therapist title and license type is determined by the state that they are licensed in and their training.

To make things a little more confusing, therapists regardless of their title or license can specialize in different areas. There are hundreds of specializations but common ones include: couples, family, groups, eating disorders, anxiety, depression, stress management, domestic violence, grief & loss and life transitions.

- Julie
       Send to a Friend     Share This

TOTAL COMMENTS: 3 - View All Comments »

Add a Comment
Displaying comments 3-1 of 3
To answer the previous comment's question: a master's degree in couples (aka marriage) & family therapy, or social work plus two years of supervised clinical work qualifies you for a license to practice in my state :)
By Jenidawn  Apr 24, 2010
It's important to note that for the UK there is no licensing for therapists/psychotherapists. There are no mandatory accreditations.

So basically ANYONE can work as a therapist here.
By acuriousfish  Apr 22, 2010
very informative Mom and Mom-in-law are both psycho patients and have gone to two different psychiatrists but I did not know the difference between a psychiatrist and a therapist.

I wonder which degree you have to acquire to be a professional therapist?
By Aneela Jameel  Apr 22, 2010
Got a Question?
My Fans
Agoraphobia & Social Anxiety
(2,406 Discussion Topics)
(30,350 Discussion Topics)
Anxiety Disorders in Children
(309 Discussion Topics)
(11,283 Discussion Topics)
Bereavement - Teens
(504 Discussion Topics)
(128,745 Discussion Topics)
Depression - Teen
(6,482 Discussion Topics)
Depression in Children
(79 Discussion Topics)
Depression Supporters
(1,375 Discussion Topics)
Eating Disorders
(16,613 Discussion Topics)
Family Issues
(4,000 Discussion Topics)
Healthy Relationships
(9,747 Discussion Topics)
Medical Mysteries
(175 Discussion Topics)
Physical & Emotional Abuse
(24,505 Discussion Topics)
Post Partum Depression
(420 Discussion Topics)
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
(17,077 Discussion Topics)
Separation Anxiety
(190 Discussion Topics)
Sexual Abuse
(13,303 Discussion Topics)
Stress Management
(1,505 Discussion Topics)
Teen Anxiety
(538 Discussion Topics)
Trichotillomania (Hair Pulling)
(4,176 Discussion Topics)