Julie Cohen is a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist MFT and a Child Mental Health Specialist with a private practice in Los Angeles. Her areas of focus include: depression, anxiety, panic, post-traumatic stress, bipolar…
Remembering Loved Ones Who Have Passed Can Be A Healing Ritual
Posted in Bereavement by Julie Cohen on Jan 18, 2011
New Years Day in Los Angeles was cold this year. As most places in the country are used to winter setting around the holidays, Los Angeles typically can get warm winds and 80 degree temperatures. So when it’s cold here on a holiday people notice. A friend of mine said to me yesterday, “...We stayed in on New Year’s Day and made a big pot of soup. I wanted to call my mom. Something about the cold weather made me think of her and it made me sad.” Her mom passed away last year.

I said to her that I felt the same way. My mother passed away four and a half years ago and I still have moments that I want to pick up the phone. It’s something about the cold outside, the season and the holidays that bring that longing out so much more. I think what can be really tough is not so much the remembering but what to do with the feelings that come up in the moment.

I have heard people say that after the initial grief period passes no one really wants to hear about the sadness. I have also heard that unless you have experienced a death than you cannot relate. In either case, it leaves one feeling rather isolated and alone.

I believe that we organically create times of the year that we remember those that have passed on, and that it’s important to mark that moment or day. It doesn’t require anything elaborate although you can make it that way if you choose. I tend to find a quiet space to reflect. I think about my mom and our memories together. This year I thought about how much she would have loved to have spent time with my 2 month old twins. She would have been so proud to be their grandmother. Although this is bittersweet, I find this process healing.

If you find yourself missing a loved one try to embrace it. It may feel like why bother as it will only bring sadness. But you may also find yourself more at peace and almost like you had a conversation with them.

- Julie Cohen

4
Everyone grieves differently and I think it is ok to talk about my mom anytime I want.
By RaggdyAnn  Feb 24, 2011
3
i was adopted at the age of three. I buried together one day last September. The loss of my only known living reletives isn't something I will ever overcome. everyday I am reminded in some way of the loss of them. I believe that will continue to occur for the rest of my life.
By martiw  Jan 20, 2011
2
By martiw  Jan 20, 2011
1
I lost my cousin and my friend driving his motorcycle's hit with truck I miss him so much.
By kankab13  Jan 19, 2011

Bereavement
Bereavement - Teens
Bipolar Disorder
Bipolar Disorder - Teen
College Stress
Depression in Children
Families & Friends Affected By Suicide
Families & Friends Of Addicts
Family & Friends of Bipolar
Family & Friends of Cancer Patients
Family Issues
High School Stress
Military Families
Pet Bereavement
Post Partum Depression
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Seasonal Affective Disorder
Step Families
Stress Management
Widows & Widowers