Whole Person Health Care - NIWH

The work of Dr. Georgianna Donadio DC, MSc, PhD has touched the lives of millions of people worldwide. For more than 35 years, she has been educating the healthcare community, as well as her patients, students and the public…
What is a Loving Relationship?
Posted in Healthy Relatio... by Dr. Georgianna Donadio on Nov 19, 2012
The answer to this question is found in the question itself. What is "loving" and what does a loving relationship look like? The key to a loving relationship is showing great care for another person; respecting their boundaries; accepting them for who they are, what their beliefs, values, and opinions are.

If we look at the dictionary definition of loving, it is easy to understand what that means and what a loving relationship would look like. Behaving appropriately to create a loving relationship can be challenging and difficult as we often want others to be, think and feel as we want them to be: think and feel - rather than what is naturally right for themselves.

This is the key to and the true meaning of a loving relationship - to respect and accept someone else for who and how they are rather than mold them into the image and likeness of what we desire them to be.

Unfortunately, many relationships today are focused on what only one of the individuals can get out of the relationship rather than on mutuality, and what both partners can experience from those relationships in terms of being valued, cared about, cherished or “loved.” So many of us who are actually in relationships, even married couples, are still experiencing loneliness and isolation because our relationships are not focused on mutual fulfillment and intimacy.

When people feel valued and cared about, their level of anxiety and loneliness decreases and their well-being increases. If you are in a relationship, it may be a good idea to take stock of how fulfilled each of you feel in that relationship and then take steps to communicate your feelings more openly to one another so that you can enhance your mutual sense of happiness and well-being.

- Dr. Georgianna Donadio

CATEGORIES: Overview
TAGS: Symptoms  •  Therapies  •  Monday Health News

2
My relationship with my husband was not a loving one for years. The last couple years has been wonderful. I was committed to him and he was to me and we worked through some terrible times. We neither one respected each others boundaries and we were separated most the time and we nearly divorced. I would never advise anyone to stay in an unhealthy situation but sometimes things do change and they are not perfect for us now but we both had baggage and cultural differences that nearly tore us apart. Also my illness did not help but we worked through it and I can honestly say if we have made it almost 9 years married and been together longer than that, anyone can make it. Grass is never greener on the other side unless of course you are being brutalized and beaten.
By harmony2013  Nov 21, 2012
1
I tried to define love to me, in 6 words, by things to give.
Truth, trust, patience, respect, compassion, and sacrifice.

Tell the truth, don't doubt them, wait and don't assume, value their opinion, comfort, care, assure and be ready to spend time with them, even if that means doing something boring.
By Icing  Nov 19, 2012

Recommendations
Changing Behavior
Changing Behavior
Dr. Georgianna Donadio
Breakups & Divorce
Life After Divorce
Loneliness
Long Distance Relationships (LDR)