Whole Person Health Care - NIWH

The work of Dr. Georgianna Donadio DC, MSc, PhD has touched the lives of millions of people worldwide. For more than 35 years, she has been educating the healthcare community, as well as her patients, students and the public…
Tips To Battle Your Sleep Disorders And Get Some Rest
Posted in Restless Legs S... by Dr. Georgianna Donadio on Mar 04, 2011
The National Sleep Foundation (NSF) states that the 40 million Americans who now suffer from sleep disorders are at higher risk for numerous serious health issues. Sleeping is one of the most important aspects of our health and well being, right up there with food, air and water.

Not being able to sleep well, or being unable to stay asleep, present problems for our health and productivity. It becomes difficult to concentrate, focus or be motivated when we are dragging ourselves through the day. The lack of proper sleep impacts our immune system, blood pressure, digestive function and even our mental clarity.

There are several factors that can contribute to sleep problems, but stress appears to be one of the biggest factors. Alan Lankford, Ph.D., president and CEO of the Sleep Disorders Center of Georgia states, "Stress can have a huge impact on falling and staying asleep." Under stress the body secretes elevated levels of cortisol, which acts like a stimulant on the nervous system and interferes with the process of falling asleep.

The foods and chemicals we ingest can also have a significant impact on our sleep system. James Maas, Ph.D., coauthor of Sleep for Success! Everything You Must Know About Sleep but Are Too Tired to Ask, says, "Any kind of caffeine, even the small amounts in hot chocolate and candy bars, can impair your sleep if ingested after 2 p.m.

The lack of exercise can be a factor as well. Exercise regulates blood sugar which is critical for brain and body function. If our blood sugar level is too high or too low this can interfere with the body cycles for sleep and rest. Regular exercise enhances the quality and quantity of our sleep. A home tread mill, walking the dog or regular dance classes are all good sleep aid options.

While there are 90 known sleep disorders, restless leg syndrome is one of the top three disorders. This can often be addressed with an increase in calcium rich foods or by taking a calcium magnesium supplement before bed.

Mineral imbalances can also be at play with this disorder and a whole food mineral supplement and multi-vitamin is recommended.
Sleep problems can be decreased or eliminated with these simple, inexpensive remedies that have been shown to provide relief and allow sufferers to experience a restful, refreshing full night’s sleep.

- Dr. Georgianna Donadio

10
For too long a time in my life I suffered insomnia, via counselling I found out why. My problem now is that I still suffer insomnia but not for the same reason as how it was caused in the first place, could it be that I still suffer it via the forming of a habit to do so, an unhealthy by-product of it being perhaps?
By LonesomeOwnsome  Mar 08, 2011
9
Well, I'm blonde, I forgot to finish my post! lol. I wrote:
"Anyway, I was suffering bad from" (I said through, but meant from) Clinical Depression, which was robbing me of a normal, typical life. I had to re-arrange everything, I was feeling as
though I was the worst parent in the world, even though, my
husband was around at all times, and in times when I just couldn't do it b/c i was sleeping. My pcp started calling my syndrome the "Rip Van Winkle" syndrome.
By SuzyScorp  Mar 08, 2011
8
Ever since I was diagnosed with Cervical Dystonia, in March of
2005, my sleeping habits, somewhat due to pain isses and also due to my father's untimely death, shortly after my wedding. That was the emotional factor and my Dystonia was the physical
factor. Put the two together, and you get one odd sleeping schedule. There'd be nights, I'd feel almost hypo manic and then nights when I'd go to bed, and stay there for literally
2-1/2 days. No wonder I was losing a huge amount of weight during that time! Anyway, I was suffering bad through
By SuzyScorp  Mar 08, 2011
7
i have ptsd, insomnia, plus sleeping disorder unknown yet to find out in a sleep study next month. i fall asleep on my chair computer, fall off it to the floor. i have sleepsalked and fallen to the floor from standing. and i fall hard. have rls... bipolar,,,sleep problems since childhood--child abuse issues. i am on a drug called prazosin. and it helps me sleep so this does not happen.
By gizzy2010  Mar 07, 2011
6
Hi, I suffered from this terrible condition until I discovered through a friend the Magnetic Healer for deep magnetic therapies. It’s a headband with two magnets developed to cure migraine and insomnia. It has been found that migraine patients sleep better. My friend was cured of migraines and insomnia. I bought it on eBay. It is great and makes me sleep all night. On the Magnetic Healer store they have other products on eBay for other conditions based on magnets. If you buy it please let me know if your condition improves to recommend it to other members.
By rebeccad32  Mar 07, 2011
5
By rebeccad32  Mar 07, 2011
4
By rebeccad32  Mar 07, 2011
3
emma, cont'd:
Thinking I wasn't sleeping well enough, my doctors made a drastic mistake by prescribing sleeping medications including ambien, before knowing WHY i was so sleepy during the day. The sleep clinic doctors said this could easily have killed me.
I was helped by cutting the amount of a long-release opiod pain-reliever, starting a different anti-depressant, and NOT taking any sleeping medications.

Don't know if this will help anyone, but thought I'd share my story. When I first started looking into this, I was adamant that my medications were NOT the cause, because I couldn't see a direct link between my meds and the fatigue, & cuz I was so desperate to control the debilitating pain, but I put my life at risk, could barely function, and lost 1 yr of my life in a daze of fatigue.I found there were other ways to work w/pain control, & that having my life back from the SD was worth taking the test!
By imemmarose  Mar 06, 2011
2
emma, cont'd: central apnea is caused by a depression of your Central Nervous System's ability to signal your breathing to start while you are sleeping. So, I would go to sleep, but once asleep, "forget" to breath...that stuff is supposed to be done automatically based on brain stem function, but the combination of drugs I was taking sedated that part of my brain and repressed my breathing reflex. As a result, every time I would start to sleep deeply, I would stop breathing. My body would realize I was suffocating, and eventually startle awake enough to start breathing, but this never allowed me to get any REM sleep, the restorative type; hence, I was sleeping all of the time, but never getting any rest. They said I was lucky that at least I didn't just stop breathing all together and die in my sleep.
By imemmarose  Mar 06, 2011
1
Someone made a comment about their doctors recommending a sleep study. I finally got one after having severe fatigue and narcoleptic type symptoms for several months, but with no response to the medications for that disorder. I have chronic pain and was taking a lot of medication to help control my pain during the day, but it didn't seem to make me drowsy when I took it, so we didn't think that could be the problem; the fatigue was constant, whether i had recently taken a dose of medication or not. After doing the study, we found that i had medication induced "central apnea".
By imemmarose  Mar 06, 2011

Recommendations
Changing Behavior
Changing Behavior
Dr. Georgianna Donadio
Bedrest
Bipolar Disorder
Bipolar Disorder - Teen
Codependency
Depression in Children
Diets & Weight Maintenance
Eating Disorders
Family & Friends of Bipolar
Fitness Goals
Food Addiction
Insomnia
Nutrition
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
Post Partum Depression
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Restless Legs Syndrome
Sleep Apnea
Sleep Problems - Childhood