Over the past 15 years, the practice of yoga has gone from being considered by many as a “new age” practice to being embraced by mainstream medical practices, with much research being done on the subject at renowned hospitals and medical centers.
The practice of yoga dates back over 5,000 years. The main purpose of this practice was focused on spiritual enlightenment, to integrate the body and mind and to connect with our "pure essential nature."
The practice of yoga involves specific body poses which are designed to enhance the body-mind integration and facilitate inner balance and physical well-being. Currently, and for the past 10 years, research studies are showing that the practice of yoga has many health and longevity benefits.
There are now so many documented benefits of this popular exercise form that just about anyone with a chronic health condition can benefit from practicing it.
A partial list of yoga benefits include:
- Decreases blood pressure, lowers pulse rate and improves circulation.
- Improves cardiovascular endurance and enhances lung function and lowers respiratory rate through increase circulation
- Postures act as massage for internal organs, improving oxygen and blood flow
- Enhances immune system function
- Creates a more effective metabolism and improves digestive efficiency
- Increases pain tolerance, reduces anxiety and depression, and enhances mood
- Enhances and deepens sleep states
- Improves posture, energy, strength and balance
- Increases memory and attention span
- Reduces back pain sciatic and scoliosis
- Improves migraines, arthritis and chronic bronchitis
- Prevents Type II diabetes, osteoporosis, heart disease and asthma attacks
The amazing health benefits of this ancient practice are now being shown in research studies to be more sustainable to address chronic conditions than many of the drugs currently used to treat these conditions. If you are looking for a natural approach to addressing your symptoms or chronic condition Yoga may be just what you are looking for.
- Dr. Georgianna Donadio